Configuration help for two subnets

MyFamilysITGuy

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
What's up guys. Need help with my network. I have a wireless VDSL modem/router (Actiontec C1000a) in my living room with one LAN port connected to my Dish receiver and a second to a Western Digital Powerline adapter. In my bedroom, I have the second Powerline adapter connected to a smart TV for Netflix access and to a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 wireless router's WAN port. I have a desktop connected to a LAN port on the Cradelpoint. The Actiontec is setup with IP of 192.168.0.1 and the Cradlepoint's IP is 192.168.10.1. They both have different SSID's, with wireless on & with both their dhcp servers enabled. So I have two subnets that work fine and I connect wirelessly with my laptop to one or the other depending on where I am in the house and all connected (wired) devices work normally. I also have a wi-fi printer that is setup with the Actiontec subnet and I don't have any port forwarding setup so I have to switch subnets if I'm going to print from my laptop and I'm on the other subnet which isn't a problem, just lazy. My problem is I also want to add a NAS server for backups of all computers and as a media server and have it connected to the Actiontec in the living room but it takes forever to backup the desktop in the bedroom. Since I didn't do the port forwarding yet I have to connect the desktop to Powerline adapter directly eliminating the Cradlepoint but the throughput of the Powerline adapters is only rated 300Mb/s so it takes like 3 days to do a sector by sector backup. If I take the NAS into the bedroom and hook if directly to the desktop's Gigabit LAN port it only takes about 8 Hrs. I bought a Netgear R6300 wireless router and want to use it in the bedroom instead of the Cradlepoint which is not a Gigabit router anyway. I want to eliminate the Powerline adapters and just go wireless between the new Netgear and the Actiontec keeping the two subnets and also add the port forward so I can access both subnets on my laptop no matter which subnet I'm connected to and so the NAS server can access all computers. Can someone give me some advice on this setup, not sure how to make it all work. I know it's a little wordy but I wanted to give as much info as I could think of in advance.
Thanx

First thing to test is to take a wireless PC into the remote location and see what the transfer rate you can even expect. Many times powerline adapters are faster.

Going to be tough to run it as you want. You are asking the netgear router to run the wireless on the WAN port and still run as a router. I doubt it has that capability.

The maximum transfer rates will be using the router as a simple bridge. It would act as a client to your main router and then let you plug stuff into the lan. This would require everything be on the same subnet and you would have to get all your wireless from your main router.

The only way I can think to do it the way you want is to buy another router to use a bridge only and hook it to the wan port of the new netgear.

I would still be very careful to and test the wireless to really be sure it is faster than the powelines.