Any downloadable, free hex "old school" wargames for the P..

Given the advancements of technology, I figured by now there would be
an online source of "old-school" wargames that may be played by one
player either via download, or actively on the web? Is there anything
like this at all, anywhere? If so, are there also any good/excellent
websites on the subject of wargaming?

My personal experience with wargames is fairly vast, but I find I have
more enjoyment with turn-based, or more strategic games (like Hearts of
Iron 2.) than the rapid-fire point-and-clicking types made popular by
Command and Conquer, and Age of Empires.

(Though I still play them, but not with the same rapt interest)

Many thanks to all who respond.

Regards,

Daniel

In article <1124628781.625775.175130@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
danielmorlan@yahoo.com says...
> Given the advancements of technology, I figured by now there would be
> an online source of "old-school" wargames that may be played by one
> player either via download, or actively on the web? Is there anything
> like this at all, anywhere? If so, are there also any good/excellent
> websites on the subject of wargaming?
>
> My personal experience with wargames is fairly vast, but I find I have
> more enjoyment with turn-based, or more strategic games (like Hearts of
> Iron 2.) than the rapid-fire point-and-clicking types made popular by
> Command and Conquer, and Age of Empires.
>
> (Though I still play them, but not with the same rapt interest)
>
> Many thanks to all who respond.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

One game I like a lot is here:

http://www.thurb.com/games/acw/intro.htm

I think Matrix is making a second version. Though really this isn't the
first.

A couple standard sites are:

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/

and

http://www.wargamer.com/

Epi

----
Cigarettes are love. Have you ever met an
anti-smoker?
----

http://www.curlesneck.com

Hi,

http://www.grognard.com - has some links to freeware computer wargames

http://www.the-underdogs.org - has "abandoned" wargames

http://www.matrixgames.com - has the classic "War in Russia" and
"Pacific War" for free

http://triplea.sourceforge.net/ - Advanced Axis & Allies freeware
project

SSG's "The Ardennes Offensive" is publicly released too - you just need
a 10MB mailbox - ask for it in here

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

On 21 Aug 2005 05:53:01 -0700, "Daniel J. Morlan"
<danielmorlan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Given the advancements of technology, I figured by now there would be
>an online source of "old-school" wargames that may be played by one
>player either via download, or actively on the web? Is there anything
>like this at all, anywhere? If so, are there also any good/excellent
>websites on the subject of wargaming?

I'll second taking a look at the Home of the Underdogs site, many of
the old school wargames are available for download as well as giving
links to freeware titles old and new.

A neat game I recently came across is People's Tactics
http://www.peoplestactics.com/

Like any good wargame it has a bit of a learning curve, but it's not
a very steep one. One of the more interesting things about the game
is that the combat has no random component, two identical starting
situations will give identical outcomes. Player information about
enemy forces is not perfect so you won't be able to fully predict
combat outcomes in advance but with experience you can make a very
good guess which is all that a commander in the field could ask for.

My biggest problem is that I have windows XP. I'd need some sort of
DOS emulator, or something. I've played some of these over the years,
though. A great game of immense complexity for it's time was KOEI's
"L'Empereur". The learning curve was a TINY bit high. (A couple
hours) But it was an impeccable game with an inspired soundtrack.
Thanks for the tips, and suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.

Daniel

In article <1125083988.018980.197280@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
danielmorlan@yahoo.com says...
> My biggest problem is that I have windows XP. I'd need some sort of
> DOS emulator, or something. I've played some of these over the years,
> though. A great game of immense complexity for it's time was KOEI's
> "L'Empereur". The learning curve was a TINY bit high. (A couple
> hours) But it was an impeccable game with an inspired soundtrack.
> Thanks for the tips, and suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.
>
> Daniel

The Civil War game I mentioned works on XP. I think it says 2003 at the
top when it was last updated. Here's the link again.

http://www.thurb.com/games/acw/intro.htm

Epi

----
Sometimes, you need to read past the headlines.
Not just literally, but everywhere. It would
really help me out.
----

http://www.curlesneck.com

On 26 Aug 2005 12:19:48 -0700, "Daniel J. Morlan"
<danielmorlan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My biggest problem is that I have windows XP. I'd need some sort of
>DOS emulator, or something.

DOSBox is what you're looking for.
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/