Alesis HD24 question

Looking at replacing/augmenting a 24-track ADAT setup with an Alesis
HD24 in the very near future. I went through the online PDF manual but
it left me with a question; maybe someone here has some experience with
this setup that can enlighten me.

They go into lots of detail in the manual on transferring files over
ethernet, but note that the ethernet connection can be slower than
transferring over lightpipe; however they don't say much about
transferring via lightpipe other than diagrams showing how to connect it.

We've got an ADAT PCR card in the machine now, to interface with the
ADATs and dump tracks via ADAT Connect, but Connect only handles up to
eight tracks at a time. I notice from the manual that the HD24 also
apparently divides lightpipe I/O into three groups of eight.

Does this mean I'm still limited to transferring tracks eight tracks at
a time using the same old Connect software, if I elect to use optical
transfer? Is it still a realtime dump, as with tapes?

I know there's a firewire option available for the HD24, but that's a
relatively hefty extra cost, in addition to needing to add a firewire
card to the PC ($25 for a PCI firewire card, $300+ for the HD24 adapter,
pffft).

Ah, one other question: anyone know if Alesis plans to update drivers
for the PCR to something a little more modern than Windows 98? Or is
there any other option for syncing the ADATs/HD24 with something like
Logic or Cubase that'll work with a newer platform? Will the HD24 sync
to MMC via the MIDI ports, maybe?
33 answers Last reply
More about alesis hd24 question

    Matt Ion wrote:

    > Looking at replacing/augmenting a 24-track ADAT setup with an Alesis
    > HD24 in the very near future. I went through the online PDF manual
    but
    > it left me with a question; maybe someone here has some experience
    with
    > this setup that can enlighten me.
    >
    > They go into lots of detail in the manual on transferring files over
    > ethernet, but note that the ethernet connection can be slower than
    > transferring over lightpipe; however they don't say much about
    > transferring via lightpipe other than diagrams showing how to connect
    it.

    > We've got an ADAT PCR card in the machine now, to interface with the
    > ADATs and dump tracks via ADAT Connect, but Connect only handles up
    > eight tracks at a time. I notice from the manual that the HD24 also
    > apparently divides lightpipe I/O into three groups of eight.
    >
    > Does this mean I'm still limited to transferring tracks eight tracks
    at
    > a time using the same old Connect software, if I elect to use optical

    > transfer? Is it still a realtime dump, as with tapes?
    >
    > I know there's a firewire option available for the HD24, but that's a

    > relatively hefty extra cost, in addition to needing to add a firewire

    > card to the PC ($25 for a PCI firewire card, $300+ for the HD24
    adapter,
    > pffft).
    >
    > Ah, one other question: anyone know if Alesis plans to update drivers

    > for the PCR to something a little more modern than Windows 98? Or is

    > there any other option for syncing the ADATs/HD24 with something like

    > Logic or Cubase that'll work with a newer platform? Will the HD24
    sync
    > to MMC via the MIDI ports, maybe?

    The PCR card suffered from lack of development and updates.

    The Frontier Dakota will do 16 tracks at a time,
    24 with the add-on Montana.
    RME cards are very well regarded, the HDSP 9652
    handles 24 tracks, the Digi9636 does 16 and can be
    upgraded to 24.
    You are still limited to real time transfers.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41477&item=7312784751&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    The Fireport seems like the popular way to go, very fast.

    rd

    "Matt Ion" wrote ...
    > They go into lots of detail in the manual on transferring
    > files over ethernet, but note that the ethernet connection
    > can be slower than transferring over lightpipe; however
    > they don't say much about transferring via lightpipe other
    > than diagrams showing how to connect it.

    At 10MB, the built-in ethernet port is absurdly slow and out
    of date. However it is still faster than grabbing the data in real-
    time via the lightpipe. At least in my experience.

    > We've got an ADAT PCR card in the machine now, to
    > interface with the ADATs and dump tracks via ADAT
    > Connect, but Connect only handles up to eight tracks at
    > a time. I notice from the manual that the HD24 also
    > apparently divides lightpipe I/O into three groups of eight.
    >
    > Does this mean I'm still limited to transferring tracks eight
    > tracks at a time using the same old Connect software, if I
    > elect to use optical transfer?

    Yes, unless you can come up with some way to capture all 24
    tracks via the three parallel Alesis lightpipes.

    Is it still a realtime dump, as with tapes?

    Yes, it is a realtime dump, as with tapes.

    > I know there's a firewire option available for the HD24,
    > but that's a relatively hefty extra cost, in addition to needing
    > to add a firewire card to the PC ($25 for a PCI firewire card,
    > $300+ for the HD24 adapter, pffft).

    They sell a "Fireport 1394" which appears to be a conventional
    drive-bay to firewire adaptor hardware bundled with their
    proprietary software. It is orders of magnitude faster than
    the 10MB ethernet or the real-time lightpipe(s).

    I've owned an HD-24 for several years now. I have made many a transfer
    with the ethernet connection and yes, it is relatively slow. I believe
    the firewire connector is $200.00 not $300.00 and it works well but is
    meant to transfer files to computer and does not talk to the older
    ADATs. I have borrowed the firewire hardware from a friend and it does
    kick butt for transfers.

    I use Cubase and and have sync'd it successfully to my HD-24 regularly.
    Here's how it works:

    The HD-24 will act only as a master in sending MTC (not MMC) and will
    not slave to another component. You will need a midi interface going
    into the computer via USB, firewire or PCMCIA. When you copy from ADAT
    tapes, the locate numbers must match which involves resetting the
    HD-24 to the locate numbers on the tape. It does have some
    capabilities using SYMPTE and ADAT sync but I have not used those. Some
    of the MOTU interfaces feature ADAT sync as part of their feature set.
    My M-Audio FW-410 does not. Tech support at Alesis is fairly easy to
    reach by phone and very helpful by today's horrible tech support
    standards.

    Once I bought my HD-24, I literally stopped using my ADATs and have not
    even powered them up for 3 years. The HD-24 is so much easier to use
    and has a much better feature set. It has been valuable, however, to be
    able to transfer files into the computer and utilize plug-ins and
    advanced editing. The HD-24 works in two modes, record and edit. You
    can copy, cut, paste, move and do a number of other edits onboard the
    HD-24 in edit mode, but when you are in record mode, it does not have
    an "undo" function like the Protools, DP, Cubase DAWs do. It operates
    more like a tape machine while in record.

    I have done several independant CD's and many demo's using the HD-24.
    It is dependable and almost completely crash-proof by my experience
    which has not been true of my DAW experience. Buying cheap IDE media at
    Costco or Office Max (check with tech support or other users of HD-24s
    for IDE brand recommendations) has been a Godsend.

    I just completed recording a series of rehearsals featuring Jim and Dan
    Seals, a new collaboration of brothers who each had major recording
    groups of their own at one time. We went from song to song to song and
    recorded about 50 songs @ 24-track on a 40gig HD for about $65 then
    popped the HD out for a new project. Portability of the HD-24 is also a
    great advantage. You are welcome to contact me directly if you have any
    other questions.

    peakester@earthlink.net
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peakester

    Matt Ion <soundy@moltenimage.com> writes:

    >I know there's a firewire option available for the HD24, but that's a
    >relatively hefty extra cost, in addition to needing to add a firewire
    >card to the PC ($25 for a PCI firewire card, $300+ for the HD24 adapter,
    >pffft).

    There was a promotion running not long ago where the HD24XR (version with
    94/24 converters, supposedly also better than the plain HD24 even at 48 &
    44.1) included the Fireport for FREE. I missed that one, but the Fireport
    was only US$199 when I bought it. It paid for itself rather quickly in
    terms of how easily data was moved on and off the computer, and in doing
    drive housekeeping with the PC rather than the HD24XR. Yes, you'll pay
    more for the XR, but many report that the sonic improvement is worth it.
    As an old 2" analog guy, I've been quite pleased with the
    price/performance of the XR version.

    How old is your computer? Many that are out in the past 12-24 months have
    firewire support on the motherboard. Double check; maybe you already have
    it (look for one of those half-hidden little connectors labeled with an
    inscrutable icon).

    Frank
    Mobile Audio
    --
    .

    peakester@earthlink.net wrote:
    > I've owned an HD-24 for several years now. I have made many a transfer
    > with the ethernet connection and yes, it is relatively slow. I believe
    > the firewire connector is $200.00 not $300.00 and it works well but is
    > meant to transfer files to computer and does not talk to the older
    > ADATs. I have borrowed the firewire hardware from a friend and it does
    > kick butt for transfers.

    That's CDN$300... exchange rate is a bitch. My friend who actually owns
    all the gear is the one who told me this price anyway, it may have
    dropped since then.

    > Once I bought my HD-24, I literally stopped using my ADATs and have not
    > even powered them up for 3 years. The HD-24 is so much easier to use
    > and has a much better feature set.

    Since we only have a 24-channel board right now, I expect we'd be
    keeping the ADATs around just long enough to transfer stuff off the old
    tapes onto the HD24 anyway.

    > I have done several independant CD's and many demo's using the HD-24.
    > It is dependable and almost completely crash-proof by my experience
    > which has not been true of my DAW experience. Buying cheap IDE media at
    > Costco or Office Max (check with tech support or other users of HD-24s
    > for IDE brand recommendations) has been a Godsend.

    I get even better prices at a local hole-in-the-wall retailer... big
    drives can be had at less than a buck a gig. They don't have anything
    slower than a 7200rpm, ATA-100 with 2MB cache, and looking at their
    "Specials" page right now, an 80GB Hitachi drive with those specs can be
    had on sale for CDN$65, or an ATA-133 8MB/120GB Seagate Barracuda for
    CDN$105. 300GB drives are listed around CDN$250 and 400GB drives now
    start at about CDN$400.

    > I just completed recording a series of rehearsals featuring Jim and Dan
    > Seals, a new collaboration of brothers who each had major recording
    > groups of their own at one time. We went from song to song to song and
    > recorded about 50 songs @ 24-track on a 40gig HD for about $65 then
    > popped the HD out for a new project. Portability of the HD-24 is also a
    > great advantage. You are welcome to contact me directly if you have any
    > other questions.

    Thanks for the info, you've been most helpful :)

    In article <4x_3e.892689$8l.527361@pd7tw1no> soundy@moltenimage.com writes:

    > They go into lots of detail in the manual on transferring files over
    > ethernet, but note that the ethernet connection can be slower than
    > transferring over lightpipe; however they don't say much about
    > transferring via lightpipe other than diagrams showing how to connect it.

    When using the "lightpipe" method, you aren't transferring files,
    you're transferring digital audio, and a new file or files is created
    on the computer end. It's strictly real time - play on the ADAT,
    record on the computer. If you have 24 channels of lightpipe interface
    on your computer, you can do it all in one pass. If you have 8 chanels
    of lightpipe interface, it takes three passes, or three times real
    time, plus whatever time it takes to line up the groups of tracks.

    > We've got an ADAT PCR card in the machine now, to interface with the
    > ADATs and dump tracks via ADAT Connect, but Connect only handles up to
    > eight tracks at a time. I notice from the manual that the HD24 also
    > apparently divides lightpipe I/O into three groups of eight.

    It's an 8-channel format, so there are three pairs (input and output)
    of optical connectors on the HD24.

    > Does this mean I'm still limited to transferring tracks eight tracks at
    > a time using the same old Connect software, if I elect to use optical
    > transfer? Is it still a realtime dump, as with tapes?

    Yes.

    > I know there's a firewire option available for the HD24, but that's a
    > relatively hefty extra cost, in addition to needing to add a firewire
    > card to the PC ($25 for a PCI firewire card, $300+ for the HD24 adapter,
    > pffft).

    I thought that they were giving away the Firewire dock for free these
    days. That may have been a limited time offer and you missed it, but
    you might find that it's still available. $25 to add this capability
    to your computer is well worth while.

    > Ah, one other question: anyone know if Alesis plans to update drivers
    > for the PCR to something a little more modern than Windows 98?

    Unlikely. I don't think they've sold that card for years.

    Mike Rivers wrote:

    > In article <4x_3e.892689$8l.527361@pd7tw1no> soundy@moltenimage.com writes:
    >

    >>They go into lots of detail in the manual on transferring files over
    >>ethernet, but note that the ethernet connection can be slower than
    >>transferring over lightpipe; however they don't say much about
    >>transferring via lightpipe other than diagrams showing how to connect it.
    >

    > When using the "lightpipe" method, you aren't transferring files,
    > you're transferring digital audio, and a new file or files is created
    > on the computer end. It's strictly real time - play on the ADAT,
    > record on the computer. If you have 24 channels of lightpipe interface
    > on your computer, you can do it all in one pass. If you have 8 chanels
    > of lightpipe interface, it takes three passes, or three times real
    > time, plus whatever time it takes to line up the groups of tracks.

    Of course, when you put it that way, it all makes perfect sense and I
    wonder why I didn't think of that myself instead of posing what for me
    seems like a stupid question... ;)

    Thanks, Mike.

    >>I know there's a firewire option available for the HD24, but that's a
    >>relatively hefty extra cost, in addition to needing to add a firewire
    >>card to the PC ($25 for a PCI firewire card, $300+ for the HD24 adapter,
    >>pffft).
    >

    > I thought that they were giving away the Firewire dock for free these
    > days. That may have been a limited time offer and you missed it, but
    > you might find that it's still available. $25 to add this capability
    > to your computer is well worth while.

    Yeah, the thing that gets me is the fact that the interface for the deck
    is so much compared to $25 for a simple PCI card.

    Mike Rivers wrote:

    > When using the "lightpipe" method, you aren't transferring files,
    > you're transferring digital audio, and a new file or files is created
    > on the computer end. It's strictly real time - play on the ADAT,
    > record on the computer. If you have 24 channels of lightpipe interface
    > on your computer, you can do it all in one pass. If you have 8 chanels
    > of lightpipe interface, it takes three passes, or three times real
    > time, plus whatever time it takes to line up the groups of tracks.

    I'm wondering if one could pull the HD from an HD24, hook it to one of
    the Wiebetech Firewire DriveDock thingies, and mount the drive on a
    computer? Or would Alesis' propirietary file format bite one?

    --
    ha

    walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote in message news:<1gui7cn.1ym03hn1u7hhvkN%walkinay@thegrid.net>...

    > I'm wondering if one could pull the HD from an HD24, hook it to one of
    > the Wiebetech Firewire DriveDock thingies, and mount the drive on a
    > computer? Or would Alesis' propirietary file format bite one?

    Nope, no dice I'm afraid, thats the problem with the propirietary file
    format. What would be sweet (although no idea how on earth they would
    implement this!) is if Alesis wrote a plug-in to allow Windows (or OSX
    :p) to see the drive if it was mounted...ALTHOUGH, I think its a
    better idea copying the data anyway, imagine damaging your hard drive
    whilst trying to get it into a firewire cradle!!! "Sorry guys, was a
    good 3 months but we'll have to do it all again!" :) Even if you're
    not going to be editing on your PC, still a good idea to copy
    everything to the PC religously!! I think I have more faith in tape
    than IDE hard drives!!

    In article <1gui7cn.1ym03hn1u7hhvkN%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

    > I'm wondering if one could pull the HD from an HD24, hook it to one of
    > the Wiebetech Firewire DriveDock thingies, and mount the drive on a
    > computer? Or would Alesis' propirietary file format bite one?

    Nope, part of what's in the Alesis Firewire dock is firmware (I guess)
    to talk to the disk drive and pass the data on to the computer in
    "normal" format.

    You got me interested in that Wiebetech thing for a few minutes, but
    like with most out-of-the-mainstream computer stuff, I could only find
    on-line sources for it. I wanna see it at a store and there's no place
    around here who has it. I can get plenty of Firewire external drives
    in cases, but the concept of a caseless external drive seems too
    strange for people who work in what passes for computer stores now.
    (we don't have Fry's here)

    > In article <1gui7cn.1ym03hn1u7hhvkN%walkinay@thegrid.net>
    > walkinay@thegrid.net writes:
    >
    >> I'm wondering if one could pull the HD from an HD24, hook it to one of
    >> the Wiebetech Firewire DriveDock thingies, and mount the drive on a
    >> computer? Or would Alesis' propirietary file format bite one?
    >
    > Nope, part of what's in the Alesis Firewire dock is firmware (I guess)
    > to talk to the disk drive and pass the data on to the computer in
    > "normal" format.

    Mike, if you're talking about the Alesis Fireport, that's not true.
    Hardware-wise it's just a IDE-to-Firewire adaptor that accepts the same
    drive caddies as the HD24. It comes with software to run on the computer
    that can read the proprietary file format. The software can read any
    Alesis-formatted disk connected via Firewire.

    Hal Laurent
    Baltimore

    Mike Rivers wrote:

    > You got me interested in that Wiebetech thing for a few minutes, but
    > like with most out-of-the-mainstream computer stuff, I could only find
    > on-line sources for it. I wanna see it at a store and there's no place
    > around here who has it. I can get plenty of Firewire external drives
    > in cases, but the concept of a caseless external drive seems too
    > strange for people who work in what passes for computer stores now.
    > (we don't have Fry's here)

    I bought mine from Smalldog Electronics, up in VT. Given the miniscule
    size of that part of the country, how hard could it be to road trip? <g>

    One heads-up: it is important to make sure one is aligning the dock's
    connector accurately with that of the drive. One can misalign that and
    make a mess of something, oh, say, like pushing a drive's pin back into
    the connector shell... In which case I highly recommend a roach clip...
    errr... a hemostat, yeah, that's the ticket, to pull the pin back out
    where it ought to be, and then carefully reconnect the drive.

    The FW Drivedock is really quite handy. I'm sold on the concept, now
    that I've the training wheels stage.

    --
    ha

    In article <t4z4e.14$2J5.527@news.abs.net> laurent@charm.net writes:

    > > Nope, part of what's in the Alesis Firewire dock is firmware (I guess)
    > > to talk to the disk drive and pass the data on to the computer in
    > > "normal" format.
    >
    > Mike, if you're talking about the Alesis Fireport, that's not true.
    > Hardware-wise it's just a IDE-to-Firewire adaptor that accepts the same
    > drive caddies as the HD24. It comes with software to run on the computer
    > that can read the proprietary file format.

    AH, OK, so software, not firmware. At least that makes the Fireport a
    little more useful. You could, I suppose, use it without the Alesis
    software to interface a standard FAT16 or FAT32 disk to a computer
    with a Firewire port?

    In article <1gujl23.1a7b8rc14bnn9xN%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

    > I bought mine from Smalldog Electronics, up in VT. Given the miniscule
    > size of that part of the country, how hard could it be to road trip? <g>

    Oh, Vermont's about 550 miles. Does Smalldog Electronics have a door?
    And a shelf? Or is it someone with a house, a small dog to guard the
    storage shed, and a PO box? Honestly, I'm not suspicious of buying
    on-line, I just want to know what it is that I'm getting and whether I
    really want it.

    hank alrich wrote:
    > Mike Rivers wrote:
    >
    > > walkinay writes:
    >
    > > > I bought mine from Smalldog Electronics, up in VT. Given the
    miniscule
    > > > size of that part of the country, how hard could it be to road
    trip? <g>

    > > Oh, Vermont's about 550 miles. Does Smalldog Electronics have a
    door?

    > I believe so.
    >
    > http://www.smalldog.com
    >
    > > And a shelf? Or is it someone with a house, a small dog to guard
    the
    > > storage shed, and a PO box? Honestly, I'm not suspicious of buying
    > > on-line, I just want to know what it is that I'm getting and
    whether I
    > > really want it.
    >
    > They're good folks doing good business. They have a viable return
    > policy. I've been buying stuff from them for years. In fact, at this
    > point, the bulk of our Macquisitions have come from there.
    >
    > --
    > ha

    I've been trying to sort out what you and Mike are saying. Are you
    using the IDE to firewire gadget from smalldog with the Alesis HD-24 or
    are we still in theory. Are you using it just as a general data
    transfer unit? About how much was it?
    peakester

    Mike Rivers wrote:

    > laurent writes:

    > > > Nope, part of what's in the Alesis Firewire dock is firmware (I guess)
    > > > to talk to the disk drive and pass the data on to the computer in
    > > > "normal" format.

    > > Mike, if you're talking about the Alesis Fireport, that's not true.
    > > Hardware-wise it's just a IDE-to-Firewire adaptor that accepts the same
    > > drive caddies as the HD24. It comes with software to run on the computer
    > > that can read the proprietary file format.

    > AH, OK, so software, not firmware. At least that makes the Fireport a
    > little more useful. You could, I suppose, use it without the Alesis
    > software to interface a standard FAT16 or FAT32 disk to a computer
    > with a Firewire port?

    And now I wonder if one could use a Wiebetech FW DriveDock along with
    the Alesis software to do what the Firedock does, or if the software is
    tied to the Alesis gizmo.

    --
    ha

    > Mike Rivers wrote:

    >> > Mike, if you're talking about the Alesis Fireport, that's not true.
    >> > Hardware-wise it's just a IDE-to-Firewire adaptor that accepts the same
    >> > drive caddies as the HD24. It comes with software to run on the
    >> > computer
    >> > that can read the proprietary file format.
    >
    >> AH, OK, so software, not firmware. At least that makes the Fireport a
    >> little more useful. You could, I suppose, use it without the Alesis
    >> software to interface a standard FAT16 or FAT32 disk to a computer
    >> with a Firewire port?
    >
    > And now I wonder if one could use a Wiebetech FW DriveDock along with
    > the Alesis software to do what the Firedock does, or if the software is
    > tied to the Alesis gizmo.

    Sure, that will work technically. You can't legally buy the Alesis software
    without the Alesis hardware, though.

    The advantage to the Alesis hardware is that you can pull the caddy right
    out of the HD24 and plug it into the Fireport.

    The disadvantage to the Fireport is that it's a kludgy little thing that
    plugs into the back of the drive caddy, and there are four separate plastic
    foot thingamajigs (that's the technical term) that you attach to the sides
    of the caddy to give it airflow underneath.

    I don't know anything about the Wiebetech FW DriveDock, but if it just
    coincidentally has a full drive bay that can accept an Alesis HD24 drive
    caddy without the annoying need of attaching separate feet, then it might be
    something I'd find useful, depending on its price.

    Hal Laurent
    Baltimore

    hank alrich wrote:

    > now I wonder if one could use a Wiebetech FW DriveDock along with
    > the Alesis software to do what the Firedock does, or if the software
    > is tied to the Alesis gizmo.

    Like Hal said, you'd likely create more work taking the drives out of
    the Alesis caddy and then plugging the DriveDock into them. You could
    do what I did and install a caddy into a 5¼" external FireWire box.
    Just find out what kind of caddy/tray system Alesis is using and buy
    some of those.

    "Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message

    > Just find out what kind of caddy/tray system Alesis is using and buy some
    > of those.

    The caddy/tray system that Alesis uses is known, although not by me. I
    think it's one of the ViPower setups (I don't know if all ViPower
    caddies/trays are the same). A perusal of the HD24 group at
    groups.yahoo.com will produce the info eventually (the Yahoo Groups search
    mechanism is quite pathetic).

    Hal Laurent
    Baltimore

    "Hal Laurent" wrote ...
    > The disadvantage to the Fireport is that it's a kludgy little thing
    > that plugs into the back of the drive caddy, and there are four
    > separate plastic foot thingamajigs (that's the technical term) that
    > you attach to the sides of the caddy to give it airflow underneath.

    Which is goofy if you think about. There is no airflow under the
    drive caddy when it is plugged into the HD24.

    In article <1gujym7.1bog1em345z7sN%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

    > And now I wonder if one could use a Wiebetech FW DriveDock along with
    > the Alesis software to do what the Firedock does, or if the software is
    > tied to the Alesis gizmo.

    If Hal's explanation is accurate and complete, probably so, but I'll
    bet the only way you can get the software legitimately is to buy the
    FirePort. It's like the Mackie HDR Pro. You get a Firewire dock for
    the removable disk drive, together with a version of the operating
    system that adds "Import ProTools Session" and "Export ProTools
    Session" to the menu. A lot of people wanted to buy the software
    without buying the Firewire dock, and some wanted to buy the Firewire
    dock without the ProTools software (to make transfers to other DAW
    programs easier) but Mackie wouldn't sell one without the other.

    Now, it's been discontinued as a Mackie product (they never kept up
    with ProTools 6) and at least one person (http://www.firedock.com) is
    offering a Mackie drive bay in a Firewire case.

    In article <1112761281.747767.308550@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> peakester@earthlink.net writes:

    > I've been trying to sort out what you and Mike are saying. Are you
    > using the IDE to firewire gadget from smalldog with the Alesis HD-24 or
    > are we still in theory.

    In theory, and bantering about buying somnething sight-unseen on line
    vs. the desire to look at it before buying. From what I can tell from
    the Weibetech (don't trust my spelling) web site it plugs directly on
    to a bare drive. So in order to use it with the Alesis drive (or in my
    case, the Mackie) it would have to be removed from its carrier. That's
    only a couple of screws and takes just a few seconds, but it's one
    more tug on the ribbon cable inside the carrier, so it probably takes
    a little off the life of the carrier assembly. That may or may not be
    significant. I haven't had one fail yet.

    > Are you using it just as a general data transfer unit?

    That's how the discussion started. I was asking about how to clone the
    drive in my laptop computer if I wanted to replace it and not have to
    re-install everything. The suggestion was to use Norton Ghost and back
    up the drive using a Weibetech firewire adapter.

    > About how much was it?

    I saw it for $100 at eCost.com but it's not clear what package that
    is (what software, if any, comes with it). Direct from Weibetech, it's
    $139 with some sort of backup program.

    Mike Rivers wrote:

    > at least one person (http://www.firedock.com) is
    > offering a Mackie drive bay in a Firewire case.

    Which you can build for yourself quite easily, BTW.

    "Mike Rivers" wrote ...
    > ...but it's one more tug on the ribbon cable inside the carrier,
    > so it probably takes a little off the life of the carrier assembly.
    > That may or may not be significant. I haven't had one fail yet.

    I have. :-( The IDC (insulation-displacement connector)
    finally let go and I was left with an unterminated ribbon
    cable. ~Fortunately, it was one of my $14 generic carriers,
    and not the sexy gray one with "Alesis" on it.

    As for alternatives to the FirePort 1394, it can be done in
    software if only we knew the disk/file format. All my
    computers have plug-in drive bays identical to the ones in
    the HD24 and I can plug the Alesis drive carriers into any
    of my computers.

    But, of course, the drives are not formatted in anything that
    MSwin recognizes, so it just ignores them. But I can access
    each sector and decode the data with software if I only knew
    how to interperet it. One could concievably write a driver
    that would make the Alesis drive look like a regular MSwin
    drive with a bunch of AIFF or WAV or whatever files. You
    could drag-n-drop just like any other drive in Windows
    Explorer.

    And the hardware part of the FirePort 1394 *appears* to be a
    conventional drive-bay to Firewire adapter made by someone
    else, but OEMed to Alesis in their gray color and with their
    name screen-printed on top. As others have observed, Alesis
    sells it only bundled with their FST/Connect software (a
    standalone application).

    Mike Rivers wrote:

    > peakester writes:

    > > I've been trying to sort out what you and Mike are saying. Are you
    > > using the IDE to firewire gadget from smalldog with the Alesis HD-24 or
    > > are we still in theory.

    > In theory, and bantering about buying somnething sight-unseen on line
    > vs. the desire to look at it before buying. From what I can tell from
    > the Weibetech (don't trust my spelling)

    Wiebetech

    > web site it plugs directly on
    > to a bare drive. So in order to use it with the Alesis drive (or in my
    > case, the Mackie) it would have to be removed from its carrier. That's
    > only a couple of screws and takes just a few seconds, but it's one
    > more tug on the ribbon cable inside the carrier, so it probably takes
    > a little off the life of the carrier assembly. That may or may not be
    > significant. I haven't had one fail yet.

    > > Are you using it just as a general data transfer unit?

    > That's how the discussion started. I was asking about how to clone the
    > drive in my laptop computer if I wanted to replace it and not have to
    > re-install everything. The suggestion was to use Norton Ghost and back
    > up the drive using a Weibetech firewire adapter.

    > > About how much was it?

    > I saw it for $100 at eCost.com but it's not clear what package that
    > is (what software, if any, comes with it). Direct from Weibetech, it's
    > $139 with some sort of backup program.

    Here's a link to Wiebetech's page of their Drivedock products.

    <http://www.wiebetech.com/products.php#drivedockproducts>

    I bought the FireWire Drivedock without the backup software from
    Smalldob Electronics for $115 + shipping. This included one HD cover
    plate with screws and little rubber stick-on feet.

    --
    ha

    In article <3bitj7F6i61t1U4@individual.net> kurt@nv.net writes:

    > > at least one person (http://www.firedock.com) is
    > > offering a Mackie drive bay in a Firewire case.
    >
    > Which you can build for yourself quite easily, BTW.

    Of course, but one of the nice thing about these recorders is that
    they are being used by people who aren't computer geeks and aren't
    even sure which end of a screwdriver to blow into.

    It's a service, and the guy is making a few bucks.

    In article <1158t0egtsh73f1@corp.supernews.com> rcrowley7@xprt.net writes:

    > As for alternatives to the FirePort 1394, it can be done in
    > software if only we knew the disk/file format.

    > But, of course, the drives are not formatted in anything that
    > MSwin recognizes, so it just ignores them. But I can access
    > each sector and decode the data with software if I only knew
    > how to interperet it. One could concievably write a driver
    > that would make the Alesis drive look like a regular MSwin
    > drive with a bunch of AIFF or WAV or whatever files.

    So pay the damn $139 already. Or use the Ethernet. Some people just
    want to make things hard for themselves. <g>

    "Mike Rivers" wrote ...
    > So pay the damn $139 already. Or use the Ethernet.
    > Some people just want to make things hard for
    > themselves. <g>

    Oh, I paid the $199 already. My FirePort is sitting right
    here next to the keyboard. I'm just whining about not having
    an "open-source" solution.

    Here's an interesting location I was guided to by an engineer friend
    tonight:
    http://www.vipower.com/product/SmartFamily/Smart_Dock/vp_8059/vp_8059.htm

    peakester wrote ...
    > Here's an interesting location I was guided to by an engineer friend
    > tonight:
    > http://www.vipower.com/product/SmartFamily/Smart_Dock/vp_8059/vp_8059.htm

    Appears to be a $14 drive carrier bundled with the OEM firewire
    coupler which Alesis sells (in a different color). These are both
    standard items available in many places.

    Alas, without the special software that also comes with the Alesis
    bundle, it cannot be used with HD24 drives. And as others have
    already observerd, Alesis doesn't sell the software unbundled from
    the hardware.

    In article <1112952030.381737.57440@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> peakester@earthlink.net writes:

    > Here's an interesting location I was guided to by an engineer friend
    > tonight:

    That's similar to what Mackie and Firedock.com have for the Mackie
    hard disk recorder external drives. I may have missed all the subtle
    details of this one because I don't have the Chinese character set
    installed in my web browser. <g>

    When I was shopping at Micro Center for the Weibetech, I saw a couple
    Firewire removable drive assemblies, perhaps even the one you found
    here - handy if you have all the mating parts, not as useful as being
    able to connect the bare drive if you don't.

  33. Hello Internet Ghosties of the Past. I'm a little late to the party, but this is the first place I've seen this reference: >> "~Fortunately, it was one of my $14 generic carriers, and not the sexy gray one with "Alesis" on it." << further up the page. I've been wondering and searching for quite sometime for an alternative PATA drive caddy of the generic sort to use with my HD24. These older ones are scarce and the new SATA ones (which I don't presently need) are pricey. What are these "$14 generic carriers" that anonymous speaks of ?

    [as a side note, I've seen so much about people with drive troubles, real or alleged incompatibility issues, and drives not mounting. Indeed, that's true enough, but I've yet to see anyone mention caddies-gone-bad, which anonymous above seems to allude to (aside from his yanking out wires). I've had some drives that I thought were either bad or incompatible, only to find that by fudging with the caddy a bit, (not just the jumpers), I've had them kick in, likely due to intermittent ghost-in-the-machine wiring issues. blahhh

    All of this said, who/where can I get reasonably priced PATA caddies for running my old school PATA drives on my HD24???? thanks

Pro Audio Connection Ethernet Card Audio