New to boards, and a question too

Hi my name is matt, I'm a college student who is currently addicted to
warcraft3, as well as various MMORPG's. I was lucky enough growing up
to have a nerdy father(commodore 128 for t to start me playing avalon
hill war games and SSI/SSG computer games when i was very young, but
the non stop online action (with large strategic involvment) warcraft
has prevenented me from getting into long campaign games these days.
Some of my favories are : Battles of napoleon, carriers @ war, perfect
general, warlords 2, the AH battle of the build game.

I'm looking for advice in selecting a wargame for my father for his
birthday (and maybe for my own enjoyment as well ¤.¤ ). Currently
he is fruitlessly attempting to conquer one of the harder difficulty
levels on Civ III, and I can tell he is yearning for a true wargame.
The napoleonic era is his favorite, but any recommendations would be
great. I dont know if wargaming in the pre-tank era exists anymore.

Let me also say I am sickened by kids saying FPS's are wargames. I
spent about 2 hours looking for forums/sites on wargaming only for
Battlefield:w/e and Call of Duty type material. Or forums origanal for
true wargaming that have been taking over by those kinda gamers. I'm
prolly gonna go flame them tomorrow @ work.

Thanks for any input

Hi,

Released this year - Napoleonic

Crown of Glory : Europe in the age of Napoleon
- Grand strategic game with optionial operational battles
http://www.west-civ.com/
http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=1830
http://www.matrixgames.com/game.asp?gid=306
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/news.asp?nid=254

Napoleonic Battles : Campaign Waterloo
- Traditional hex-based
http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/NapBat/waterloo/waterloo.html
http://hist-sdc.com/waterloo/

Imperial Glory
- Rome Total War gone Napoleonic
http://www.eidosinteractive.com/games/info.html?gmid=150
http://www.eidosinteractive.com/games/embed.html?gmid=150
http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?&forumid=130
http://www.imperialglory.com/main.htm
demo :
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/gamershell/demo/ImperialGloryDemo.zip

If he likes civ, there are equivalent empire building wargames :

Hearts of Iron II
www.heartsofiron2.com/

Gary Grigsby's World at War
http://www.worldatwaronline.com/main.asp
http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/world_at_war/
Demo :
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/GaryGrigsbysWorldAtWar/GaryGrigsbysWorldAtWar-SetupDemo-v1049US.zip

A number of wargames released this year come with a demo, you might
want to try these out first :

Down in Flames :
Demo : http://www.battlefront.com/products/dif/demo.html

Civil War : Bull Run :
Demo : http://www.madminutegames.com/Downloads/CWBRDemo.exe

The Falklands War 1982 :
Demo : http://download.shrapnelgames.com/downloads/tfwdemo.zip

Salvo (age of sail)
http://download.shrapnelgames.com/downloads/Salvo_Demo_pc.exe

The Star and the Crescent - Arab-Israeli Wars 1956-2009
http://download.shrapnelgames.com/downloads/tsatcdemo.zip

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

<mistergraud@sbcglobal.net> skrev i melding

>I'm looking for advice in selecting a wargame for my father for his
>birthday (and maybe for my own enjoyment as well ¤.¤ ). Currently
>he is fruitlessly attempting to conquer one of the harder difficulty
>levels on Civ III, and I can tell he is yearning for a true wargame.
>The napoleonic era is his favorite, but any recommendations would be
>great. I dont know if wargaming in the pre-tank era exists anymore.

What about "CROWN OF GLORY: EUROPE IN THE AGE OF NAPOLEON"

http://www.matrixgames.com/

There is a review here:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632721p1.html

In article <4309afee$0$18637$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
gbjerke@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

> <mistergraud@sbcglobal.net> skrev i melding
>
> >I'm looking for advice in selecting a wargame for my father for his
> >birthday (and maybe for my own enjoyment as well ?.? ). Currently
> >he is fruitlessly attempting to conquer one of the harder difficulty
> >levels on Civ III, and I can tell he is yearning for a true wargame.
> >The napoleonic era is his favorite, but any recommendations would be
> >great. I dont know if wargaming in the pre-tank era exists anymore.
>
> What about "CROWN OF GLORY: EUROPE IN THE AGE OF NAPOLEON"
>
> http://www.matrixgames.com/
>
> There is a review here:
>
> http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632721p1.html

I love Crown of Glory. Can't get enough of it. I really don't get a
sense that this is the age of Napoleon when I play it though. I just
mean the feel. I don't play the tactical part.

Epi

----
Cigarettes are love. Have you ever met an
anti-smoker?
----

http://www.curlesneck.com

"Crown of Glory" by Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com), or you could
consider an historical management game like "Europa Universalis II" by
Paradox (1419-1820 - there also is a Napoleonic scenario).