Jerry72

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
Does anyone know how to check a power supply.?I have read that you could use a jumper to the ground and red wire in the cables connection and use any 115 volt supply to test it.It is true?

Jerry

svol

Champion
What exactly do you want to check? If you want to check if it gives voltage on all power rails when on then just use a multi-meter. Don't directly connect the ground and the red (5V) wires as it could short out the powersupply. If you want to start a powersupply without a motherboard just ground the green wire.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Jerry72

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
How are the connections to be made since I am not using the mbotherboard? Do I connect the green wire directly to ground and plug in the power supply to an outlet?

Jerry

Jerry72

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
Yes.The motherboard was working fine in another computer.I removed it and installed a brand new 128 mb memory.Never touched the CPU or any jumper.

Jerry

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
You jumper the Green wire to one of the black wires right near it.

But how do you plan to tell if it's working from that?
Do you have a voltmeter?

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

Jerry72

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
This a brand new power supply.The fan was working until I removed the CMOS battery to clear the BIOS memory.When I put it back after 10 min.and connected the front panel wires (I did check and recheck the connections)I had no power.Later on,I found out that I should leave the battery out for a few hours.As a matter of fact I will leave it out overnight.If the fans start and the computer does not boot up,I would then now that I have a motherboard(memory,cpu...)
problem.I will keep you posted.Thank you.

Jerry

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
In all likelyhood the problem you're experiencing is related to moving the motherboard from one machine to the next... If you changed the memory, I'd start there... is it in right, is it the right kind for the board, etc.

One possibility is that you replaced the CMOS battery incorrectly... backwards or not making a good connection. Some (not all) boards will not start up correctly without a battery.

Another possibility is that your CMOS (i.e. BIOS) settings got scrambled when you were messing with the battery. Why don't you just use the on-board "cmos clear" jumper? Almost all motherboards have one, check the manual for your board... You can get up and going in the time it takes you to move the jumper and replace it.

You can even do a CMOS clear from the keyboard on many computers... Turn off power at the back of the computer, hold down the END key on your keyboard while you turn it back on. This should take you into the setup screens with the system in a "safe mode" that will let you re-do your settings. (Note: on some machines it's the INSERT key, so you may have to try both)

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><--- <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by teq on 05/05/03 02:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Jerry72

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
I know I have theright memory because I went to the vendor with the mobo.The battery is inserted right.So is the memory.The Cpu is supposed to be fine,because the mobo was working in another computer,and I removed it myself.But more problems occurred after our last talk.I did the jumper trick.No power.I installed the cables to the front panel jumper and rechecked the connections.Still no power.No beep.I removed all the cables.No power.What went wrong?This is a brand new power supply.Oh,I forgot.I put another power supply(also brand new).No power.But it was working before because the fans started.

Jerry

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I don't know what's wrong... without seeing the machine it's pretty hard to tell at this point...

You might have the front panel connections wrong.
You might have something grounding out.
You might have damaged the motherboard.

The best I can suggest at this point is that you need to take it to someone more experienced to see what they can find...

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---