Networks of the future?

Will we ever have distributed computing home networks, so maybe you would have several computers of varing processing power working together at any given time in any given app?

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
10 answers Last reply
More about networks future
  1. You mean like a Beowulf cluster?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
  2. Kind of. A home Beowulf cluster, I guess.

3. I think the lag would counter the benefit for anything except for absolutely huge jobs (or incredibly slow computers).

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
  4. Obivously we haven't reached a level where this is possible. I'd guess we'd need lots of RAM on each client machine and a 10-100gbps Network to keep the RAM saturated.

5. I doubt it'd be viable (at least for quite some time), but it'd be interesting (and fun).

6. What about fiber optics b/c they have unlimited potential, and a shitload of ram. Also, many tasks such as 3d rendering don't require high bandwith at all. I'm not sure how practical it'd be though- how many home users actually push a comp to its limit?

Sig of the week.
  7. They'll never find me in here.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
  8. they know all, there is no escape!

Sig of the week.
  9. Hi dhlucke!

Flame, Beowulf clusters need to have programs written explicitly to be broken into segments (like distributed computing). I don't see any way to get around that. Not a huge deal, but I don't see any reason right away why several computers with an expensive connection and new software would be easier than further developing stand-alone computers.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
  10. Dh you are too big to hide.

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

Distributed Computing Computers Power Apps