Squad Leader - the power of the franchise

Hi,

I had already heard of the Axis & Allies miniatures and the splash
they're making in the game world but I didn't check them out until
today.

http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/aam_demo/aamdemo.asp?dcmp=BAC-AAMDEMO

Now somebody try to convince me this is not Squad Leader for Kids with
miniatures ... looks great.

Nothing Axis & Allies about it really - makes me wonder why the
supposedly powerfull franchise name "Squad Leader" wasn't used and also
makes me wonder what the pc game "Squad Leader" now in development at
Paradox will look like - no bets taken on it looking like Axis & Allies

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam esse."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

I have to say it looks interesting to me, especially the armour :)

Perhaps the rules will be done well and it could be a fun boardgame.

Peter

"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns96BC781AA51E4eddysterckxhotmailco@67.98.68.19...
> Hi,
>
> I had already heard of the Axis & Allies miniatures and the splash
> they're making in the game world but I didn't check them out until
> today.
>
> http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/aam_demo/aamdemo.asp?dcmp=BAC-AAMDEMO
>
> Now somebody try to convince me this is not Squad Leader for Kids with
> miniatures ... looks great.
>
> Nothing Axis & Allies about it really - makes me wonder why the
> supposedly powerfull franchise name "Squad Leader" wasn't used and also
> makes me wonder what the pc game "Squad Leader" now in development at
> Paradox will look like - no bets taken on it looking like Axis & Allies
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx
>
> --
> "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam esse."
> (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Nothing Axis & Allies about it really - makes me wonder why the
> supposedly powerfull franchise name "Squad Leader" wasn't used

I agree... it's more logical. But SL is prolly tied up with the
licensing deal with Paradox. Axis and Allies is seemingly available
and well known... so not a bad second choice.

"Peter Fisla" <pfisla@rogers.com> wrote in message

> I have to say it looks interesting to me, especially the armour :)
>
> Perhaps the rules will be done well and it could be a fun boardgame.
>
> Peter
>
> "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had already heard of the Axis & Allies miniatures and the splash
>> they're making in the game world but I didn't check them out until
>> today.
>>
>> http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/aam_demo/aamdemo.asp?dcmp=BAC-AAMDEMO
>>
>> Now somebody try to convince me this is not Squad Leader for Kids with
>> miniatures ... looks great.
>>
>> Nothing Axis & Allies about it really - makes me wonder why the
>> supposedly powerfull franchise name "Squad Leader" wasn't used and also
>> makes me wonder what the pc game "Squad Leader" now in development at
>> Paradox will look like - no bets taken on it looking like Axis & Allies

Nice web site. The game looks interesting too, more like a boardgame port
of the old Talonsoft Battleground games than SL. I suppose it's the ranged
attack values against hard & soft targets that reminds me of BG, though BG
had a hard & soft defence values too ... The many-dice instead of
looking-up-tables is a nice simplification for a beer & pretzels/playable
game. Now if only it had breakdown tables for different versions of the
MkIV's turret motor ...

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com