smax1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2003
sAME old story I,m afraid.....from a newbie point of veiw I,m still wonderin whether 2 go with rambus or fast ddr........is it true that Rambus will hold its own till 2005 in some shape or form....I wish someone could clear this up 4 me because this issue has been swilling around my brain making ME WANT A LABOTAMY. Thanks S.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, not really. i850E is old and outperformed by 875P now. So that puts PC3200 on top. SiS is now supporting RDRAM but with less performance than the i850E. It looks like the end for RAMBUS in the desktop.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
It depends on what you want to do.

Analyze your task: will it have a low number of large data transfers (where you want RDRAM), or a high number of small data transfers (where DDR is good).

Rambus latency is about 10x that of DDR, but the throughput is theoretically close to 5x DDR maximum (dual channel 16bit RDRAM / single channel 32bit RDRAM vs standard single DDR).

(correct me if I was wrong there, it may be more like 2 to 2.5x throughput, you loose a large factor with the thinner bus in RDRAM, but gain with the faster clock).

So, if you do a lot of video editing, compressions, or I/O, go for RDRAM, if you do gaiming, or just about anything else, DDR is probably optimal for speed (and costs less too)

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym