Sign in with
Your question

Will you upgrade to windows 8?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 11:43:29 AM

I don't know, m trying my best to like the metro ui and to switch to the classic desktop from metro every time i want to use a real app (an espn app that displays feeds from the internet is not a real app imo, it's just a dumbed-down browser that ignores css and displays contents using it's own style).
Try as i may, i'm not liking this 'smartphone on your laptop' idea, neither the idea of using a computer with touch screen. don't get me wrong, i m using a nokia E7, and i love the touchscreen, but a touchscreen on a conventional computer, is weird.

More about : upgrade windows

a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 11:53:10 AM

I definitely wouldn't buy it separately but if it comes with a new computer so be it. I'll just install Fedora Linux and dual boot anyway. Plus it will be interesting to see how that will work out with the UEFI bios
June 27, 2012 11:53:49 AM

I won't downgrade to Windows 8.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 12:09:11 PM

I have been using the previews since the developer preview, so when it comes out I will more than likely be using it

@drwho1 why don't you like it so much, I mean the start menu isn't really even needed anymore with pinning applications, the metro screen can be customized to have only things you want on there
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 12:16:42 PM

if its not coming with an upgraded DX then nope, I'm fine with windows 7.
June 27, 2012 12:17:03 PM

Mercy, some of my stuff won't even work on Vista/7 so stuck on XP still. Metro on a tablet would be fine but on a non touch large screen...about as natural and useful as being forced to plug in a mouse to use an Android phone.

Don't mind the mousing to the corners and stuff, been used to that sort of thing in OSX and Linux for ages. But the whole lets stick the contents of the start menu on screens of sliding lego bricks...err, no thanks. OK for a stripped down computer with little extra software but a start menu seems much easier and compact to navigate with a mouse.
June 27, 2012 12:18:20 PM

No need, Windows 7 is fine for me.
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 12:19:38 PM

Haven't seen the interface a whole lot but if theres a way to just disable the metro UI in its entirety and just open stuff like you can with windows 7 search bar thing then I don't think I would mind not having a start bar to much..
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 12:23:58 PM

I have been using the previews since the developer preview too, and i'm finding this metro thing utterly stupid (to put it lightly). I have 3 OS' on 2 machines, windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 preview, and openSUSE (kde). out of the three, 7 is the coolest, next is openSUSE, not a lot of software available, but it's more than enough to play music and browse the internet and GCC. Windows 8 is the worst. Continuously flipping between the desktop and the metro is the worst idea ms has ever come up with. the next computer i purchase will by most chances have windows 8 installed, and the first thing I'd do is format and install 7 (or openSUSE, not ubuntu, i don't like gnome. maybe kubuntu?). Microsoft will of course count this as a windows 8 sale, and report after a quarter that windows 8 is the fastest selling OS ever. This is all my personal opinion, feel free to share your view. How can someone actually like using a mouse on a wp7.5 style interface for writing C#.net programs? everyone's world doesn't rotate around facebook and hotmail, there are people who use computers as a computer, not an internet tablet.
June 27, 2012 12:31:11 PM

No.

Unless they release a Service Pack that allows users to completely bypass Metro and allows Metro apps to run inside windows in desktop mode.

And of course I want to see Steve Ballmer's head on a pike... figuratively speaking.
June 27, 2012 12:40:09 PM

I will skip Win 8 if we can only use Metro just like I skip Vista.
I hate Metro..played around with it on WP7 (Lumia 600)...meh...not for me...
Squares, blue, green, orange, whatever...looks like painted sh*t!

I did not realized hw ugly WP7 (Metro) is until I was searching to find a replacement phone for my HTC Desire, which I accidentally broke last month.
I came up with the idea to see which one of the following should be the best one:
iPhone5 (waiting), Lumia 600 or pre-ordering SGS3.
I need a phone ASAP so waiting is not for me...
Than the Lumia 600...holy sh*t...iWP7 ain't even attractive at all...I went directly to SGS3 and I am happy with it now :) 

June 27, 2012 12:45:22 PM

I am definitely going to try it. Since I am eligible for a free copy of Windows 8 via MSDN AA it won't hurt to try it. I won't be throwing my Windows 7 DVD out of the window yet though, as chances are I don't like the new metro look...
June 27, 2012 1:21:01 PM

Thomas_89 said:
I am definitely going to try it. Since I am eligible for a free copy of Windows 8 via MSDN AA it won't hurt to try it. I won't be throwing my Windows 7 DVD out of the window yet though, as chances are I don't like the new metro look...

I did the same with Vista...but...I felt like I want to kick my PC since it is sh*t slow with Vista...I deleted it only after one week, back to XP and several months after it Win7 came :) 

But this Metro there...I do not even have the slightest intention on trying...it is just too ugly......sorry for Metro fans..I just want to puke everytime I see it...
June 27, 2012 1:24:54 PM

What can I say Thomas...that Windows 7 DVD will probably be worth more than you paid for it soon:) 

And there's part of the rub really, you really get the feeling that Microsoft are just trying to change things for the money, constantly looking for a new cash cow. I paid £45 for Windows 7 on pre-order launch which was reasonable value as an upgrade from XP, though I ended up selling it to my brother as some of my software wouldn't co-operate with it.

From Windows 2000/XP to Vista there were some significant changes so maybe worth a full on price upgrade (and a reasonable price would be maybe £50-£60). Vista to Windows 7, well not much of a change really is there and the same for Windows 8 should you so desire it. These upgrades should realistically be in the £20 region along the same sort of lines that Apple charges.
June 27, 2012 1:31:28 PM

Windows 3.11: Good. Windows 95: Bad
Windows 98: Good. Windows ME: Bad
Windows 2000: Good. Windows XP: Bad
Windows Vista: Bad...
Windows 7: AWESOME...
Windows 8: TBD...
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 1:33:45 PM

I think I agree with killerclick on this one. On a PC, Metro sounds like an answer in search of a question; one I didn't ask.
June 27, 2012 1:35:45 PM

womble said:
What can I say Thomas...that Windows 7 DVD will probably be worth more than you paid for it soon:) 

Probably :D 
I have only seen pictures of windows 8 and I'm extremely doubtful I will even remotely like the metro UI. But hey, don't judge what you haven't experienced, right? I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
June 27, 2012 1:39:24 PM

I own a tablet from Windows Vista era (HP TX2500z CTO). It is on 7 now, but you can bet I will upgrade that thing to Windows 8 as soon as I can. Metro is just perfect for tablets...

No idea about my gaming desktop, or my work laptop(s)...
June 27, 2012 1:44:23 PM

Not until forced to as Windows 7 is fine as it is. I don't like some of things I have read about not being able to boot directly into desktop mode.
June 27, 2012 1:50:30 PM

No - for most of the "anti" reasons listed above.
June 27, 2012 1:58:57 PM

I just started using 7 few months ago and I like it too much to give it up for that Metro crap. So no.
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 2:32:06 PM

Let see, I tried it for two days in my 17" SB notebook.
Intsalled it as Daul boot (w/win7 SSD removed).
Loved the fast boot time Went from 18 Sec down to 8 Sec.
AND that's it. First it when ever I booted to win 8 it would write someting to win 7 SSD which when I rebooted back to win 7 would get a error mesage - No Biggy other than (a) Anoying and (B) IT should NOT do this.
As to the "new" interface - It is best suited to a Tablet - O Jumping gee hosafat I have a Tablet
Any ways after two days: Removed it from my 2nd SSD and PITCH the disk in the gargage.

Windows 8 is a good alternative for ipad on tablets. Also probably good for the newer "slim" line Laptops that are used as a Large screen tablet.
For laptops used for WORK - FORGET IT.

From what I read there is a good chance this may join Win ME and Vista.
Reading so financial reports - Corporate America will take a big pass on this.
Sales will Primarily come from Bunddling with New system and a limited Upgrade for thoughs who have windows 7
Gee Maybe this is how uSoft plans on making money - Get OEM builders to buy and bundle with New system and User then Buys Windows 7 to get rid of windows 8!!!

Bottom Line - In it's present form, No only NO but He-double-LL NO!!!
June 27, 2012 3:02:19 PM

Metro's fine. If there's something I need to run that's not on it, all you have to do is start tying the name, and it'll pop up. Pinning/unpinning and grouping tiles is easy. The task manager is awesome. Some of the drivers are a bit lacking, so I reverted back to Win7 for now, but I'll probably get Win8 at some point after the full release.

You have to use it for more than 2 days to appreciate it, though.
June 27, 2012 3:38:32 PM

No chance. I still use XP for the most part for business and gaming reasons, but I have Win7 Pro when I need it. As both a business and personal user, I don't see a need to change my OS - especially for - if Microsoft had their way - the third time in 5 years? No, thanks.
June 27, 2012 3:42:07 PM

After trying the previews versions win8, its not bad, it has it ups and downs. Imo i would stick with win7... I think win8 would be okay on tablets but not really for pc.
June 27, 2012 3:54:14 PM

I'm happy with Win 7... Having said that... I'll likely get Win 8 because I am asucker for all things new...
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 4:05:15 PM

SinisterSalad - "You have to use it for more than 2 days to appreciate it, though."
If I can determine in two days that the flaws outweigh the advantages, I do NOT need to use it longer. As it messes with my windows 7 (WHICH it should NOT) I could NOT take a chance.

In its present form it can NOT replace windows 7 in MY work computer. Will that change, possibly maybe after an initial release and a service pac which WILL be required if they, Microsoft, want windows 8 to be accepted by the corporate world.

This is a major push by Microsoft toward cloud computing - FINE for tablets, BUT not laptops/desktops in a Work enviorment.
Personally I'm tired of MS "telling" me how to use my computer.
Visa and windows 7 was a Big start when they decided to play “cops” and bloated the OS by adding DRM cra$%#$
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 4:28:09 PM

From Windows 95 all the way through to Windows 7 (which I am currently runing on several systems) I've bought and ran every release of Windows. Even Vista which I couldn't fully utilise until a year after launch. Windows 8 looks to be the one to break this mould. Simply because of the radical departure from the norm that this stupid OS takes. The Metro interface is clumsy and unintuitive. The constant switching between Metro and the desktop is just plain stupid for a single screen computer. The navigation to the system settings as well as logoff/logon screen and Shutdown options (it's under a settings button for crying out loud) is somewhat backward and protracted. There's no logical concise route to do anything.

I never thought I'd say this, but give me Windows 98 (the first release not SE), ME and Vista every day of the week, and twice on Sundays, before you come anywhere near me with this abomination.

Maybe I'm just an outdated retard who can't handle this new OS, but I doubt that :p 
June 27, 2012 5:27:57 PM

definitelly not going to miss win8.. ill let her passing by.. and im waving my hand. bye bye babe.. just get back when you got prettier or better.
June 27, 2012 6:00:49 PM

It was madness to remove start menu in Windows 8. :fou: 
Also I can't directly boot to my desktop & watch the beautiful wallpaper for a while as I used to in Win 7 due to the fact that Win 8 boots to a stupid metro interface. :heink: 
I'll stay with Win 7.
Goodbye Win 8.
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 7:53:16 PM

ujaansona said:
It was madness to remove start menu in Windows 8. :fou: 
Also I can't directly boot to my desktop & watch the beautiful wallpaper for a while as I used to in Win 7 due to the fact that Win 8 boots to a stupid metro interface. :heink: 
I'll stay with Win 7.
Goodbye Win 8.

I can't wait for the metro tetris UI
June 27, 2012 8:04:33 PM

NO.

Allow me to rephrase that....^^$%#^&**%$#$&*()*%^%&*(&^^ No.

Thank you
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 9:21:08 PM

I don't quite buy into the "Good Windows/Bad Windows" cycle and I certainly wouldn't make predictive bets based on it. I'm also not a hater of Windows 8 or Metro. However, after beta testing it on both my primary desktop and laptop I've decided it's not a significant enough upgrade over Windows 7 to be worth the cost. If I could get the $15 new-PC discount I might go for it but each of these systems was put together/bought well before June 2. Similarly I'd stick with 8 if I buy a new PC after it's launch but I don't anticipate that I'll be in the market since my desktop flies and my Arrandale based laptop is still quite sufficient for its' role.

There's a lot to like in Windows 8, from boot time (which is already great on my SSD-based desktop) to the overall improvements in efficiency, expanded built-in driver support and so on, but Windows 7 runs smoothly on my laptop and flies on my i5-2500 based desktop. Since I don't envision myself running Metro apps the usage case for W8 in desktop mode over W7 isn't a big enough upgrade to spend on. I expect to stick with 7 until MS starts to roll back support for it.
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2012 12:53:52 AM

No. At least not until all of the W7 copies are sold out. Window Vista OEM is $20 cheaper than than W7 in where I am. So if this continue for W7 to W8 transition, when W8 is out, W7 will also be $20 cheaper.
June 28, 2012 1:13:05 AM

Im sure my windows 7 will last me a good 7 more years, much like my old windows XP did, RIP
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2012 11:06:13 AM

well, it appears that i'm not alone. what was microsoft thinking? windows 8 UI is a bag of hurt. It's an aesthetic nightmare. (IMO)
June 29, 2012 5:38:56 AM

Quote:
well, it appears that i'm not alone. what was microsoft thinking? windows 8 UI is a bag of hurt. It's an aesthetic nightmare. (IMO)

Aesthetics aside (I think Metro looks ok on smaller screens), I'm more worried about the direction they're pushing Windows in.

First of all, if they optimize for touch/handheld, they take away from other form factors because it's logistically impossible to optimize for everything.

The other, bigger problem is they're pushing Windows towards a walled garden / app store model where they decide which apps can be sold and where they get a 30% cut from app sales. This would be ok if they didn't have to support a mature software ecosystem that billions depend on.

The final, biggest problem is they're splitting the Windows software ecosystem in two - Metro and non-Metro. Since they don't allow Metro apps to run inside windows in desktop mode, that means using Metro apps and non-Metro applications side-by-side doesn't make sense, so a lot of users will have to choose whether they use one or the other as their primary mode.

All this is of course by design, they want to move everybody to Metro, and yesterday. That 30% cut and tight control over their platform is worth more to them than any realistic number of Windows users they'll lose because of this. If they get 20% of mobile market share while losing 40% of desktop market share (not going to happen), that would still be a big win for them, so they can afford to throw a lot of us under the bus.
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2012 8:15:40 AM

killerclick said:

if they optimize for touch/handheld, they take away from other form factors because it's logistically impossible to optimize for everything.

The other, bigger problem is they're pushing Windows towards a walled garden / app store model

The final, biggest problem is they're splitting the Windows software ecosystem in two - Metro and non-Metro. Since they don't allow Metro apps to run inside windows in desktop mode, that means using Metro apps and non-Metro applications side-by-side doesn't make sense.

All this is of course by design, they want to move everybody to Metro, and yesterday. That 30% cut and tight control over their platform is worth more to them than any realistic number of Windows users they'll lose because of this. If they get 20% of mobile market share while losing 40% of desktop market share (not going to happen), that would still be a big win for them, so they can afford to throw a lot of us under the bus.

I one hundred percent agree with everything you wrote up there. The smallest computer screen i presently own is 15 inches diagonally (on this laptop m using to type this), and metro still looks weird. It's like i have attached a mouse to the ipad (or wp mango slate, not an ipad really). :( 
Why won't they listen to their customers? they have had this preview for almost a year now, and most people i know are telling me they find windows 7 (UI) better. What's the point of releasing previews if you don't listen to your testers? :-(
June 29, 2012 1:29:13 PM

Quote:
Why won't they listen to their customers? they have had this preview for almost a year now, and most people i know are telling me they find windows 7 (UI) better. What's the point of releasing previews if you don't listen to your testers? :-(

The reason is that "they" are "the great dictator" in the OS kingdom & they expect sooner or later we, the protesters (read testers), are going to surrender to "them". So they expect at the end of the day they'll take our money for both PC OS & Tablet OS (read Windows 8+apps share) and ride off into the sunset.
!