Pablo11

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
there is an A7N8X deluxe on its way to my house right now. I have yet to purchase ram and I realized that, after looking at the specs page on the asus website, the only recommended ram is CL 2.5. I want to use CL2 CAS2 ram (3d rendering, photoshop, illustrator, terragen, arcview, arcgis, lots of gaming, etc....) neccesitates the need for the performance CL2 ram has to offer. This is where my quandry lies... do I purchase ram ONLY from the recommended list? or do I puchase what I want (corsair xms 2700 for example) and take a 'gamble'? or is there a solution that I have failed to recognize?

Please help!! I don't want to waste time purchasing and returning RAM... been there done that... ;)

P.S. I don't think I will be overclocking...

JMHO<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pablo11 on 05/04/03 02:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RCPilot

Champion
I've got one coming to my house this week myself. Only I've already got the RAM. I went with Kingston Hyper X 3200. I know what the ASUS web page says & I kind of take it with a grain of salt. I got the 3200 so that I could run in sync with the 400 FSB Bartons when they come out. Until then I'm going to under clock it to 333 2700 for the 2500 Barton I've got @ 333 FSB.

If you want to run 400 FSB Bartons CPU's on that board make sure it's rev. 2.0. The prior rev.'s were supposed to be "Unofficially Supporting 400 FSB" but that turned out not to be the case. ASUS posted it in there spec.'s on the A7N8X Deluxe, with the 2.0 on there web site.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

RCPilot

Champion
I got mine at Newegg. In the ad it <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=22&manufactory=1315&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1" target="_new"> said </A> FSB: 400/333/266MHz . Now Newegg doesn't guarantee revisions on products. I made a post & got an answer form someone that directed me to a site that did guarantee the revision, but it was $20 more. So, knowing what ASUS had posted on it's web site about revision 2.0 supporting 400 FSB, & how it was worded in the ad, I decided to take the chance with Newegg on a 2.0 revision. When it got here last week it was a revision 1.2 board. I promptly called them up & they RMAed it without a problem. So that's why I've got the other components laying in front of me without a board. The 2.0 revision is taking me an extra week to get, but I thought it was worth the effort to do it.

You can see the revision silk screened on the board after the A7N8X logo between the PCI slots. I didn't mean to cause trouble, I just know what I went through with it the last couple weeks figuring it all out for myself.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I have a ASUS A7N8X dlx and because I already owned the memory I use two different DIMM. It works, even overclocked.
The memory are 1: Corsair XMS CAS 2.5 512 MB PC3200 - 2: Corsair XMS CAS 2.0 PC 3200. The system works stable in duual channel mode at 333 MHz CAS 2 or at 360 MHz CAS 2.5. The CPU is the XP 2700+ which is not capable to go at 400 MHz FSB but only at 360 MHz FSB
Sisoft Sandra scores 2560 for memory/chipset test.

Pablo11

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
thank you kindly, rc...

I will be sure to check the board when it arrives... actually, I'll call Googlegear first. I have ordered from them before and have always had a decent experience.

Anyhow... thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it. :)

JMHO

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Yo Pablo

its not by any chance that you use BLENDER for your 3d rendering. (perhaps not)

i just saw terragen in there and i use it along with BLENDER for my 3d work. (open source program)

anyway off topic by a long way so lets save it

Hmmm i know nothing about memory except i have 1Gb of DDR333 (thats all i know honest)

Alltaken

lordsnow

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2003
A few months ago I also built a PC with an Asus A7N8X. The memory I bought at the time were Samsung, 2x 256MB PC2700. I think they were supposed to be CAS3, but I had no problems chosing the Aggresive timings (I think it was called) in the Asus BIOS, and have it run at CAS2.