How to connect router to a wifi enabled pc

nitinsatija

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hello,
I am using my neighbor's WiFi connection in my WiFi enabled motherboard PC with good signal strength. Now i want to connect a router to my PC so that i can easily use WiFi for my mobiles.

RealBeast

Titan
You can attach the Ethernet from the PC to a router with its radio on a different channel than the one used by your wireless card, then bridge the network adapters on your PC by going into the network control panel, change adapter settings, highlight both adapters, right click and choose bridge connection. This connects the two networks so you will have Internet access from the wireless, but will have no security from the neighbor network.

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
RealBeast, thanks for explaining the "Bridge Connection" technique. It is something new to me and I think I can put it to good use by connecting my Dish Network receiver to my HTPC with Ethernet, and then using the wireless adapter in my HTPC to connect wirelessly to my router in a different room. This will allow me to get rid of my wireless bridge which has both the Dish Network receiver and the HTPC connected by Ethernet to it.

RealBeast

Titan
Sure. One issue though, the antenna on an adapter is a bit smaller than on a hardware bridge, so check that the signal strength is adequate.

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Yes, no problem. The HTPC was connected to the router via its wireless adapter (which has a remote antenna and cable) before I had to go to the wireless bridge configuration, and it worked well at that time showing all five bars of signal strength.