Need some help with post production eq, effects etc ....

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 4, 2005 3:43:54 PM

Hello,

Can someone please suggest the most effective way to use outboard gear such
as EQ, reverb etc ... to get a digital recreation of an original piano to
sound similar ? Please listen to the 2 short samples.

http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_original.mp3

http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_recreation.mp3

The only outboard gear I have is a Lexicon LXP-1 reverb, TASCAM M-30 mixer
(with mid and low sweep eq and high 12.5 khz fixed), a dbx 118 compressor
and an open reel 4 track recorder.

I wish to get the "recreation" to have a similar "color" as the original.
I'd appreciate any suggestions that you may offer.

Thank you in advance.

~Daniel
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:43:55 PM

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can someone please suggest the most effective way to use outboard
> gear such as EQ, reverb etc ... to get a digital recreation of an
> original piano to sound similar ? Please listen to the 2 short
> samples.
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_original.mp3
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_recreation.mp3
>
> The only outboard gear I have is a Lexicon LXP-1 reverb, TASCAM M-30
> mixer (with mid and low sweep eq and high 12.5 khz fixed), a dbx 118
> compressor and an open reel 4 track recorder.
>
> I wish to get the "recreation" to have a similar "color" as the
> original. I'd appreciate any suggestions that you may offer.

You no doubt loaded these recordings onto a PC to make the MP3 files.
Why not use PC software that has equalization built-in? I'm thinking
of software like Audacity or Goldwave, both of which you can obtain
for free. Google will get you to the developer's download sites quite
quickly.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:09:27 PM

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can someone please suggest the most effective way to use outboard gear
> such as EQ, reverb etc ... to get a digital recreation of an original
> piano to sound similar ? Please listen to the 2 short samples.
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_original.mp3
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_recreation.mp3
>
> The only outboard gear I have is a Lexicon LXP-1 reverb, TASCAM M-30 mixer
> (with mid and low sweep eq and high 12.5 khz fixed), a dbx 118 compressor
> and an open reel 4 track recorder.
>
> I wish to get the "recreation" to have a similar "color" as the original.
> I'd appreciate any suggestions that you may offer.

That's a very dull sounding original so a low pass (or hi cut) filter with a
knee around 800Hz and a little resonance at the knee for one will get you
started. You have a lot more reverb on your recreation. The original sounds
very dry.
April 4, 2005 5:09:28 PM

You didn't mention what the re-creation source was.
Sounds to me like a keyboard (kurzweil?). Most keyboards
and sound modules have reverb enabled on their piano
patches. This is better for performing but not for recording.
Find a way to turn it off during recording and add it
later. If this isn't the case and you've added the reverb
in the re-creation then you've added too much. It's
nearly impossible to remove reverb from a piano sound.
Removing high frequency can help a little but it's far better
to start with a 'dry' source (meaning no reverb).

Most keyboards and sound modules are setup for performance
and have all kinds of effects (reverb, modulation, chorusing
.....) enabled in their factory patches. I always start by
disabling all that and just recording the raw sample. I wish
the mfg's would include a set of patches that were dry...
and I wish I had a million dollars too.

Good luck!
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:23:12 PM

Is that Elvis singing?

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can someone please suggest the most effective way to use outboard gear
> such as EQ, reverb etc ... to get a digital recreation of an original
> piano to sound similar ? Please listen to the 2 short samples.
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_original.mp3
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_recreation.mp3
>
> The only outboard gear I have is a Lexicon LXP-1 reverb, TASCAM M-30 mixer
> (with mid and low sweep eq and high 12.5 khz fixed), a dbx 118 compressor
> and an open reel 4 track recorder.
>
> I wish to get the "recreation" to have a similar "color" as the original.
> I'd appreciate any suggestions that you may offer.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> ~Daniel

April 4, 2005 6:45:55 PM

In article <_L94e.897096$8l.732705@pd7tw1no>, Daniel
<NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can someone please suggest the most effective way to use outboard gear such
> as EQ, reverb etc ... to get a digital recreation of an original piano to
> sound similar ?

Get a nice piano recording and A - B it with yours. Then futz around
with yours until you get it as close as you can to the real one.
Comparing it directly with what you are looking can be a great help.
(Not that it will necessarily make your digital piano sound like a real
one.)

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 7:41:47 PM

"Steve Ryan" <snospamryan@tendb.com> wrote in message
news:D 2rh6c0315l@drn.newsguy.com...
> You didn't mention what the re-creation source was.
> Sounds to me like a keyboard (kurzweil?). Most keyboards
> and sound modules have reverb enabled on their piano
> patches. This is better for performing but not for recording.
> Find a way to turn it off during recording and add it
> later. If this isn't the case and you've added the reverb
> in the re-creation then you've added too much. It's
> nearly impossible to remove reverb from a piano sound.
> Removing high frequency can help a little but it's far better
> to start with a 'dry' source (meaning no reverb).
>
> Most keyboards and sound modules are setup for performance
> and have all kinds of effects (reverb, modulation, chorusing
> ....) enabled in their factory patches. I always start by
> disabling all that and just recording the raw sample. I wish
> the mfg's would include a set of patches that were dry...
> and I wish I had a million dollars too.

Assuming he has access to a number of patches most units should have patches
that are closer to the original one than he is using. He's using a very
bright patch and the original (a real piano that was miked) has a much
duller sound. He should try one of the patches marked "dark" or "soft" if it
has one and/or turn down any "brightness" parameters on the piano unit.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:39:54 PM

Dan
recreation.mp3 sounded to me like... first of all you need a longer mic lead
(or leads) - very distant!

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can someone please suggest the most effective way to use outboard gear
> such as EQ, reverb etc ... to get a digital recreation of an original
> piano to sound similar ? Please listen to the 2 short samples.
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_original.mp3
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_recreation.mp3

April 5, 2005 10:04:44 AM

> "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can someone please suggest the most effective way to use outboard
>> gear such as EQ, reverb etc ... to get a digital recreation of an
>> original piano to sound similar ? Please listen to the 2 short
>> samples.
>>
>> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_original.mp3
>>
>> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_recreation.mp3
>>
>> The only outboard gear I have is a Lexicon LXP-1 reverb, TASCAM M-30
>> mixer (with mid and low sweep eq and high 12.5 khz fixed), a dbx 118
>> compressor and an open reel 4 track recorder.
>>
>> I wish to get the "recreation" to have a similar "color" as the
>> original. I'd appreciate any suggestions that you may offer.
>
> You no doubt loaded these recordings onto a PC to make the MP3 files.
> Why not use PC software that has equalization built-in? I'm thinking
> of software like Audacity or Goldwave, both of which you can obtain
> for free. Google will get you to the developer's download sites quite
> quickly.

Ok, thanks for the tips and I'm working on it BUT the sample I've provided
wasn't done by me. It's a collab work with someone else.

~Daniel

April 5, 2005 10:07:13 AM

"Ricky Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can someone please suggest the most effective way to use outboard gear
>> such as EQ, reverb etc ... to get a digital recreation of an original
>> piano to sound similar ? Please listen to the 2 short samples.
>>
>> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_original.mp3
>>
>> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_recreation.mp3
>>
>> The only outboard gear I have is a Lexicon LXP-1 reverb, TASCAM M-30
>> mixer (with mid and low sweep eq and high 12.5 khz fixed), a dbx 118
>> compressor and an open reel 4 track recorder.
>>
>> I wish to get the "recreation" to have a similar "color" as the original.
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions that you may offer.
>>

> That's a very dull sounding original so a low pass (or hi cut) filter with
> a knee around 800Hz and a little resonance at the knee for one will get
> you started. You have a lot more reverb on your recreation. The original
> sounds very dry.

Thank you very much for the info. As this "work" is a collaboration with
someone else, I have passed on this info to them with perhaps changing the
piano patch to a "darker" one with a less "distant" sound.

Thanks!

Daniel

April 5, 2005 10:10:24 AM

"Steve Ryan" <snospamryan@tendb.com> wrote in message
news:D 2rh6c0315l@drn.newsguy.com...
> You didn't mention what the re-creation source was.
> Sounds to me like a keyboard (kurzweil?). Most keyboards
> and sound modules have reverb enabled on their piano
> patches. This is better for performing but not for recording.
> Find a way to turn it off during recording and add it
> later. If this isn't the case and you've added the reverb
> in the re-creation then you've added too much. It's
> nearly impossible to remove reverb from a piano sound.
> Removing high frequency can help a little but it's far better
> to start with a 'dry' source (meaning no reverb).
>
> Most keyboards and sound modules are setup for performance
> and have all kinds of effects (reverb, modulation, chorusing
> ....) enabled in their factory patches. I always start by
> disabling all that and just recording the raw sample. I wish
> the mfg's would include a set of patches that were dry...
> and I wish I had a million dollars too.
>
> Good luck!

It's a "Bosendorfer 290 Piano sound". My collab partner told me that he
hadn't added any reverb but perhaps he didn't turn off what was in the
patch.

Thanks!

Daniel

April 5, 2005 10:11:49 AM

Yes, thanks, I'm working on that! :)

~Daniel

"Jim Gregory" <jim.greg@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Dan
> recreation.mp3 sounded to me like... first of all you need a longer mic
> lead (or leads) - very distant!
>
> "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can someone please suggest the most effective way to use outboard gear
>> such as EQ, reverb etc ... to get a digital recreation of an original
>> piano to sound similar ? Please listen to the 2 short samples.
>>
>> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_original.mp3
>>
>> http://members.shaw.ca/sivlee/danny_boy_recreation.mp3

April 5, 2005 10:12:25 AM

"david" <ihate@spamo.com> wrote in message
> In article <_L94e.897096$8l.732705@pd7tw1no>, Daniel
> <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Can someone please suggest the most effective way to use outboard gear
>> such
>> as EQ, reverb etc ... to get a digital recreation of an original piano to
>> sound similar ?
>

> Get a nice piano recording and A - B it with yours. Then futz around
> with yours until you get it as close as you can to the real one.
> Comparing it directly with what you are looking can be a great help.
> (Not that it will necessarily make your digital piano sound like a real
> one.)

Alright, thank you.

~Daniel

> David Correia
> Celebration Sound
> Warren, Rhode Island
>
> CelebrationSound@aol.com
> www.CelebrationSound.com
April 5, 2005 10:14:01 AM

Yes, it is .. recorded "live" in Graceland! :) ) Pretty good for a "home
recording". ;)

~Daniel

!