songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I have about 20gig of backup data that i have collected over the years. I used ot have almost 60 but i deleted some. I found some high school home work! Wow that was a long time ago. any who I was wondering which is the best living form of media to back it up on to? by living i mean hard drives or something similar. Not cds or dvds.

Defending AMD with your Stuff.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I think tape is the best form of media for backup. I don't know why. At least that's what they're using in data centers or server sites.

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
why would i need to buy another hardrive? I have 404 gigs of free space. My question was the mode reliable media. thanks.

Defending AMD with your Stuff.

For ease of backup, restore and storage I'd be looking at either a USB pen drive (depending on how much data you're backing up) or an external HDD. Preferably USB 2.0

Not cheap, but an awful lot easier to carry around than a heap of tapes, and far faster to back up to and restore from.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

RobertNKC

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
Quick and long lasting backup would be to burn the data off onto CDRs (if ya got one). Tape will degrade over time and tape drives have a bad habit of becoming extinct really quick. CDRs will degrade too (in 15 or 20 years).
If you want redundancy, put in a second physical hard drive and copy everything to it. RAID is not a backup thou. If you get a virus on one drive, it's on the other one too.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
So is the USB pen drive a reliable and longlasting media for backing up data? I've never used a USB drive before. Many other types of media (like HDD, tape, CDR) are mentioned here, but seems like none of them are good.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Every storage media has its flaws...

How about 2 long life 5 year warantee scuzzie drives in raid 1? should either die you replace it.

<b>I spanked her ass...then stole her pizza!</b> :evil:
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images</A>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""Issue is that cdr's get scratched up so easily....""

Don't be a kid, why would you wonna scratch the CD? If they are used for backup, they should be stored and forgotten until needed to restore the data, that's it, no use, no scratches.

Plus, the CD must be scratched too badly for PC not to see it (I was able to copy even cracked CDs for that matter), and that is very very rare.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Since it's essentially portable memory, it sould be good, as it doesn't have mechanical parts in the same way an HDD has.

Again it's capacities are limited, but if you spend enough, you can get a complete master installation backed up to it. OS, hardware drivers, AV & firewall software etc etc.

Would make for a good way of keeping your master set, or perhaps if you were a PC seller with lots of identical PCs.

Depends really. A good external HDD is best for most users, simply because of the capacity.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I don't understand why you do not use CDRWs (or DVDRW if you have a burner). They are a great storage medium. Its very inexpensive and effective. Tapes are slow and they don't have random access and its SLOW. You can get a new hard drive, but if you break the hard drive you lose all the info on it.

If you really want to use it, I'd think DVD-Ram is the best choice for backup. No worries about the disc getting scratched up, but mighty expensive.

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
He said he has 20GB to backup. That works out to be about 30 CD's, or 6 DVD's. That is not practical.

The only way you would back up that much data in the real world is with Tape. Plain and simple, unless you're some nut job in the University of Tübingen or something.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Stuff happens, occasionally someone will knock down a bunch of cd's, and wham, there goes the data. As for safe places, I have none- I have smaller brothers.

Hilbert space is a big place.