Logitech Z-680 and Audigy 2: Digital Connection?

Forza

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
I have an Audigy 2 and Logitech Z-680 speakers. The Z-680's accept either analog, optical or coax inputs. I have configured the speakers to work flawlessly using the included analog cable (Front/Rear/ Center+Sub). However, I would like to connect the Audigy2 to the Z-680's using the Digital output minijack on the soundcard.

The online support documentation included with the audigy2 noted that the the soundcard can be connected to a decoder (which the z-680's have) using a mono 3.5 mm minijack leading to a RCA coax; I tried this and the best results I achived were two channel stereo if anything at all. My next move today will be to try to obtain a 3.5 mm mini jack adapter that plugs into a Toslink cable (i.e., minjack on one end, toslink on the other) and try a digital connection through the Z-680's optical input. This solution is based upon a mini-jack--Toslink cable that Creative sells at their website that I assume is for that task. Hopefully this will work, but ...

1) I would very much like to know what results others are getting with their Soundblaster soundcards and Z-680's who have them digitally connected.

2) TOM'S HARDWARE STAFF: Did you have the Z-690's connected digitally in your review of 5.1 systems? If so, how?

3) Without a direct didgital connection to the Z-680's, I am unable to access the control center's DTS decoding, which really sucks, considering it's one of the features that sets it apart from its competitors.

Thanks!

Cheers!

kobe8

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Heh

Well first of all, optical cables ONLY carry stereo. There is a loophole where you can turn off spdif passthru and actually get PL2 music/movie and stereox2 as well through your optical cables, but that messes up your analog connection.

With analog cables "6 channel direct" is DD, DTS, and anything else the audigy 2 can decode (aka DD EX)