virgin mobile 911 call

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 30, 2005 5:40:34 PM

Can you make a 911 call on a Virgin moblie phone off the Sprint Network?

More about : virgin mobile 911 call

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:26:26 AM

I am under the impression that virgin mobile uses PCS CDMA only. The
only other PCS CDMA carrier in the USA I know of is verizon. Sprint PCS
covers all of verizon's PCS areas and more, so there is no place off of
Sprint PCS' network that a virgin mobile phone will be able to make a
call.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:26:27 AM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:

>Sprint
> PCS covers all of verizon's PCS areas and more, so there is no place off
> of Sprint PCS' network that a virgin mobile phone will be able to make a
> call.

This is simply not true. Verizon does have service in areas where Sprint
doesn't. The major metros are all covered by both carriers, with the
exceptions of some larger cities in the Plains states where Sprint offers
service but Verizon doesn't; but there are outlying areas that Verizon
covers, where Sprint has nothing.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
May 31, 2005 1:52:46 AM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Jerome Zelinske wrote:
>
>> Sprint PCS covers all of verizon's PCS areas and more, so there is no
>> place off of Sprint PCS' network that a virgin mobile phone will be
>> able to make a call.
>

> This is simply not true. Verizon does have service in areas where Sprint
> doesn't.

Not the in the PCS 1900MHz band.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
May 31, 2005 1:52:47 AM

Isaiah Beard wrote:

> Not the in the PCS 1900MHz band.

No, probably not - Are any VM phones tri-mode or at least dual-band digital,
though?

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:02:56 PM

In article <d7gjl7$jpc$1@ratbert.glorb.com>, on Mon, 30 May 2005
20:01:08 -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:

> No, probably not - Are any VM phones tri-mode or at least dual-band digital,
> though?

The Audiovox 8610 is tri-mode. Supposedly it will leave 1900 PCS mode to
make a 911 call. Normally it just operates in 1900 PCS, of course (no
roaming on VM.)

--
Seth Goodman
Anonymous

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Isaiah Beard wrote:
>
>> Not the in the PCS 1900MHz band.
>

> No, probably not - Are any VM phones tri-mode or at least dual-band
> digital, though?

Nope, they are all 1900Mhz digital only. In effect, Virgin Mobile US
has eliminated the concept of roaming in association with their service,
and to do so, they use phones that will ONLY search for the Sprint
network (and a few outlying extended network partners).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
May 31, 2005 5:27:40 PM

I thought Virgin Mobile only used PCS and only CDMA.
!