Amp for a pair of NS10

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2005 11:52:11 PM

Hi!

I'm looking for an amp that would be a good couple for my pair of Yamaha
NS10s. Now these monitors are driven by a second-hand hifi Technics
amplifier. I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM6A as my main monitors, but I
like to check my work on the Yamahas.
Could you suggest an amp that would be good for this situation?
Thanks a lot for helping

bence

More about : amp pair ns10

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2005 11:52:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.home.repair,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

Locsmándi Bence wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for an amp that would be a good couple for my pair of
Yamaha
> NS10s. Now these monitors are driven by a second-hand hifi Technics
> amplifier. I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM6A as my main monitors,
but I
> like to check my work on the Yamahas.
> Could you suggest an amp that would be good for this situation?
> Thanks a lot for helping
>
> bence

Either of these units would be a good choice to bring out the crispness
of the Yammys!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prod...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...

My band is using the Samson Servo170 with our Behringer monitors.

Good Luck!

Paddy McCrocket
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2005 11:52:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.home.repair,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

Or get an old Marantz receiver. Make sure it's heavy.

Peter
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2005 12:41:53 AM

In article <L%B4e.30854$zY6.23396@news.chello.at> locsmandi.bence@chello.hu writes:

> I'm looking for an amp that would be a good couple for my pair of Yamaha
> NS10s.

Surprising (or maybe not), the Yamaha MOSFET amplifiers from about the
same period as the NS-10 is a very good match for them. 2250 seems
like a model number that I remember, but that could be off by several
dB.

eBay is your friend.

a b C Monitor
April 6, 2005 2:32:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.home.repair,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

On 4/5/05 5:37 PM, in article
1112737044.056938.150200@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "Paddy McCrocket"
<paddy_mccrocket@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Locsmándi Bence wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm looking for an amp that would be a good couple for my pair of
> Yamaha
>> NS10s. Now these monitors are driven by a second-hand hifi Technics
>> amplifier. I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM6A as my main monitors,
> but I
>> like to check my work on the Yamahas.
>> Could you suggest an amp that would be good for this situation?
>> Thanks a lot for helping
>>
>> bence

Original Crown DC300...
(but ONLY for the Yammers)

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2005 2:37:15 AM

How the devil did a question sent to r.a.p. have a reply that was crossedposted to

alt.home.repair, comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp, comp.os.linux.misc

? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2005 4:04:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.home.repair,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

NS 10's the best studio monitor ever made (maybe becouse it wasn't supposed
to be the one...??)
there's only one good amp to do the job for NS 10s :
quad 405

"Paddy McCrocket" <paddy_mccrocket@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

Locsmándi Bence wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for an amp that would be a good couple for my pair of
Yamaha
> NS10s. Now these monitors are driven by a second-hand hifi Technics
> amplifier. I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM6A as my main monitors,
but I
> like to check my work on the Yamahas.
> Could you suggest an amp that would be good for this situation?
> Thanks a lot for helping
>
> bence

Either of these units would be a good choice to bring out the crispness
of the Yammys!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prod...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...

My band is using the Samson Servo170 with our Behringer monitors.

Good Luck!

Paddy McCrocket
April 6, 2005 5:04:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.home.repair,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

Any of the old hafler 200 series check ebay the 280 will drive
anything but is rarer and more $$$

On 5 Apr 2005 14:37:24 -0700, "Paddy McCrocket"
<paddy_mccrocket@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Locsmándi Bence wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm looking for an amp that would be a good couple for my pair of
>Yamaha
>> NS10s. Now these monitors are driven by a second-hand hifi Technics
>> amplifier. I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM6A as my main monitors,
>but I
>> like to check my work on the Yamahas.
>> Could you suggest an amp that would be good for this situation?
>> Thanks a lot for helping
>>
>> bence
>
>Either of these units would be a good choice to bring out the crispness
>of the Yammys!
>
>http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...
>
>http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prod...
>
>http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...
>
>My band is using the Samson Servo170 with our Behringer monitors.
>
>Good Luck!
>
>Paddy McCrocket
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2005 6:10:57 AM

Paddy McCrocket wrote:

>Locsmándi Bence wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>>
>>I'm looking for an amp that would be a good couple for my pair of
>>

>Yamaha
>

>>NS10s. Now these monitors are driven by a second-hand hifi Technics
>>amplifier. I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM6A as my main monitors,
>>

>but I
>

>>like to check my work on the Yamahas.
>>Could you suggest an amp that would be good for this situation?
>>Thanks a lot for helping
>>
>>bence
>>

>Either of these units would be a good choice to bring out the crispness
>of the Yammys!
>
>http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...
>
>http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prod...
>
>http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...
>
>My band is using the Samson Servo170 with our Behringer monitors.
>
>Good Luck!
>
>Paddy McCrocket

Hi,
I'd peruse eBay to find an oldie Yamaha amp.
Tony
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2005 6:25:27 AM

On 4/5/05 6:37 PM, in article vqE4e.6315$Tm5.3778@trnddc07, "David Morgan
(MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote:

> How the devil did a question sent to r.a.p. have a reply that was
> crossedposted to
>
> alt.home.repair, comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp,
> comp.os.linux.misc
>

> ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

We're a target of some losers that thing adding bunches of NG addys to spout
is FUN... It's been going on for a few weeks. Once the ADD them, most people
blithely RESPOND not paying attention that the post is going to 4 groups
that have LITTLE to do with one another. Usually an appearance of a string
of posts from folks that aren;t usual denizens is a clue.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2005 3:48:11 PM

I seem to remember at Right Track we used to drive the NS10s with
Bryston amps. I can't remember the model number. My memory could be
wrong. We also had some Crown Micro-Techs lying around.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Locsmándi Bence wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for an amp that would be a good couple for my pair of Yamaha
> NS10s. Now these monitors are driven by a second-hand hifi Technics
> amplifier. I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM6A as my main monitors, but I
> like to check my work on the Yamahas.
> Could you suggest an amp that would be good for this situation?
> Thanks a lot for helping
>
> bence

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2005 7:03:10 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <L%B4e.30854$zY6.23396@news.chello.at> locsmandi.bence@chello.hu writes:
>

>>I'm looking for an amp that would be a good couple for my pair of Yamaha
>>NS10s.
>

> Surprising (or maybe not), the Yamaha MOSFET amplifiers from about the
> same period as the NS-10 is a very good match for them. 2250 seems
> like a model number that I remember, but that could be off by several
> dB.
>
> eBay is your friend.

I agree here. I had a P2075 I think it was and I never blew a tweeter or
woofer, despite doing electronic music (like high and low frequencies
blasting) and working at high level. I had them for 5 years.
Of course, in my opinion, the best amp is no amp at all as you don't
have to hear them ;)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 7, 2005 2:22:17 AM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:04:38 -0400, "uriah@nospam.net" <uriah> wrote
in message <<8br651pn4p1p0ts4gdom8m9rqtjb5ks2nm@4ax.com>>:

> Any of the old hafler 200 series check ebay the 280 will drive
> anything but is rarer and more $$$

If you didn't waste all your $$$, you might be able to afford some
punctuation marks.
April 10, 2005 12:23:48 AM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:32:53 GMT, SSJVCmag <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com>
wrote:

>On 4/5/05 5:37 PM, in article
>1112737044.056938.150200@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "Paddy McCrocket"
><paddy_mccrocket@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Locsmándi Bence wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm looking for an amp that would be a good couple for my pair of
>> Yamaha
>>> NS10s. Now these monitors are driven by a second-hand hifi Technics
>>> amplifier. I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM6A as my main monitors,
>> but I
>>> like to check my work on the Yamahas.
>>> Could you suggest an amp that would be good for this situation?
>>> Thanks a lot for helping
>>>
>>> bence
>
>Original Crown DC300...
>(but ONLY for the Yammers)

Crowns have a habit of going DC, goodbye NS10's. Also NS10's have had
their day. You only find them in low brow studios where the owners
can't afford to upgrade.
April 10, 2005 2:02:45 AM

In article <ideg51tccqfng1qusuhhrbpc0bd0ob2t6a@4ax.com>, Anthropy
<blah@bogus.com> wrote:

> Also NS10's have had
> their day. You only find them in low brow studios where the owners
> can't afford to upgrade.

Ahh, a post from bogus.com

btw the best amp I've heard with ns-10's is a Bryston 4b, which is a
pretty popular partner for them in all them low brow studios.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
April 12, 2005 6:14:47 AM

In article <%Bi6e.1250$vM.807@fe12.lga>, kaptain kaput
<kaptain_kaput@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > The amp is important. Years back I changed from a Crown Microtech 1000
> > to a 4b and the difference was a wonderful one. Makes these monitors
> > very easy to live with.
> >
> > Once you've figured out the ns-10's they work quite well. I use them in
> > cahoots with Urei 813C's in order to hear the full sonic spectrum. No
> > small monitor can do the whole job.
> >

> > David Correia
> > Celebration Sound
> > Warren, Rhode Island
> >
> > CelebrationSound@aol.com
> > www.CelebrationSound.com
>

> I'd bet a 100 bucks that if you did a double blind between those 2 amps
> with NS-10's you wouldn't hear ANY difference.
> What you are hearing is the label on the front panel. KK

C'mon by with your 100 bucks.

The top end with the Microtech is nastier. The 4b's got more balls too.
With ns-10's you sometimes wanna crank em. You don't have to worry
about anything with the 4b. Turn it up.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
April 12, 2005 6:37:53 AM

In article <A_ydnYQiH_Nz5cffRVn-pw@rcn.net>, Roger W. Norman
<rnorman@starpower.net> wrote:

> Plenty of top line mixers still use them for checks, but
> not for the initial mixing. Too fatiguing these days to use 100% of the
> time.

I know plenty of folks that still mix with them. Just last month we had
an LA "kid" - early 30's - doing some work here for a major label, and
he loves ns-10's. (It ain't all just us old farts.) And you may be
surprised to learn that with a 4b they are not fatiguing at all.

When you mix you don't wanna spend 100% of the time listening to one
anything. That's why there are small monitors and big ones in real
control rooms. You have to find a mix that works on both. You'll never
know for sure if it does until you listen to both.

When people in our recording classes ask well which is right, the large
or the small monitors?? I tell them their answer is halfway between
them both.

But the mix still has to work on both of them.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com