Hi,

As you might or might not know I'm pretty much convinced that while
lots of developers know how to make a good wargame, most fall woefully
short in the business of marketing their product. If the gaming world
doesn't know your product exists, people won't buy it. Developers want
to make a living, wargamers want new wargames. Better marketing & pr
from wargame developers would benefit both.

So, I've drawn up an initial list of newsgroups, websites and paper
publications as possible targets for a civilized pr message.

<cue Mission Impossible music>
Your mission, if you accept, is to add and subtract items from that
initial list
</cue Mission Impossible music>

Newsgroups :

comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic
soc.history.war.world-war-ii
soc.history.what-if
alt.games.wargames

Web :

ConSimWorld news : http://www.consimworld.com/submitnews.html
StrategyZone general forum :
http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86
Wargamer general computer gaming forum :
http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=110
Grognard : http://www.grognard.com
Blue's News : http://www.bluesnews.com/

Paper publications :

Vae Victis (wargame review magazine) :
Strategy Gamer - the paper magazine in development at The Wargamer
PC Gamer UK (game review magazine)
PC Gamer US (doubtfull ...)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Bloodstar wrote:

> And Armchair General....
> Which I just received one magazine, I must check out what is it... and I
> payed full subs.

Good one - used to subscribe to it but let it expire recently due to
them bungling my subscription and not bothering to answer my mails
about it - Bruce Geryck does a lot of their reviews.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Great list Eddy.

I wasn't even aware of a few of these.

I would also include some special interest sites with good traffic -
feldgrau.com has section of their BB for posts about wargames, movies,
etc. The Google Earth BBS sections on military and history as well.
The FJ website used to have a BB but it seems to have gone AWOL.

The nice thing about these sites is they cast a net outside the world
of gamers and reach potential new players. Any others along these
lines?

On our NWS Online Combat Gaming Store we put up special recognition for
various titles, extra exposure for various independent game companies
and designers, etc..

We also offer extremely reasonable services to help out the little guys
get noticed on our store and then we in turn give them added exposure
on our forums and various postings on the wargaming forums.

I dont charge these companies or designers anything extra to help them
get more exposure at all. I personaly enjoy helping them out.

BTW, Eddy, excellent work on being the "forum dog".. you definitely
help get the word out about our hobby. ;-)

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
NWS Online Combat Gaming Store
http://www.nws-online.net

> Paper publications :
>
> Vae Victis (wargame review magazine) :
> Strategy Gamer - the paper magazine in development at The Wargamer
> PC Gamer UK (game review magazine)
> PC Gamer US (doubtfull ...)

And Armchair General....
Which I just received one magazine, I must check out what is it... and I
payed full subs.

Mario

In addition to targeting the sites and publications on Eddy's list small
wargame devs should also take a look at this:

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=693

It's the transcript of a speech given at a recent development conference.
Kieron Gillen, a British games press veteran, explaining how devs can 'use
and abuse the gaming press'. Some excellent tips
in there.

> Good one - used to subscribe to it but let it expire recently due to
> them bungling my subscription and not bothering to answer my mails
> about it - Bruce Geryck does a lot of their reviews.

Well, OK magazine but not much pages. From militray magazines I liked before
magazines that published US publishing house, Cowles; well, Military
History, WW II, Civil War, Aviation History etc...

Armchair General is OK but as I said too few pages. Those interactive
story's are nice but it could have been done even better. I would include
for example much more computer wargames there. This Vae Victis looks nice
but I know only to say "Sava" in French :eek:), which means "OK?" :eek:)
I use to tell all French "aaaaaaa, sava?"... :eek:)

I wouldn't even get Armchair General but since I am using so much their
forum I felt that is my duty to give a little contribution :)

Mario

Thanks for that link !

I only got around to reading it today, but this is a must-read for
every indie-developer. Kieron Gillen is his usual self, which makes for
an entertaining read no matter what the subject is, even when it's
basically just kicking in open doors - the executive summary.

.... and Tim Stone is indeed the last wargame reviewer left in the
mainstream game magazines who can get you more than 4 square inches of
review-space. He doesn't give high marks, but his reviews are always
fair and obviously written by a real grognard.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Heh, what link? I don't see it.

Mario