Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PRL 10028

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:23:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Has been released. I was told it prioritizes digital roaming over
analog in a few new US markets.

More about : prl 10028

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 5:15:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Interesting. I've never had any trouble getting a rep to flag my
phone for an update.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 5:18:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Agreed. I have also never had a problem


<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1117656922.105284.63540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Interesting. I've never had any trouble getting a rep to flag my
> phone for an update.
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 1, 2005 5:28:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> Agreed. I have also never had a problem
>

Then surely it must never happen...
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:53:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Only took me 8 calls and about 40 minutes to get for my 4 lines. They kept
telling me to either call back and say PRL Update to the automated system
(which then took me to 'upgrade your plan' - since it doesn't understand
very well).. next things ranged from I don't need a new PRL, to they don't
'flag' accounts for PRLS anymore, to finally 'we'll make an exception' this
time.. seems to be becoming rather archaic to get something so simple done.


<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1117653789.360283.106210@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Has been released. I was told it prioritizes digital roaming over
> analog in a few new US markets.
>
June 1, 2005 11:53:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

boxermansr wrote:
> Only took me 8 calls and about 40 minutes to get for my 4 lines. They
> kept telling me to either call back and say PRL Update to the
> automated system (which then took me to 'upgrade your plan'

Yes, apparently Clair's replacement doesn't understand the phrase "PRL
Update" and adamantly insists you want to upgrade your plan. I'm not
sure I need this PRL update, but I do travel frequently. Regardless, I'm
not a.) pleading my case to yet another clueless CSR or b.) risking the
chance that a CSR that does flag my account won't screw something else
up. Such is life with SPCS (and prolly every other carrier).


--
Mike
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:27:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In the past, I've only had problems once. The last update I got with no
problem as well, guess I just got lucky today. :-(


<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1117656922.105284.63540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Interesting. I've never had any trouble getting a rep to flag my
> phone for an update.
>
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:38:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1117656922.105284.63540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Interesting. I've never had any trouble getting a rep to flag my
> phone for an update.
>

I did last week, when going from 10026 to 10027. I asked the rep to flag my
phones, and she said it wasn't possible. I asked her how long she had been a
rep, and the answer was "not long". I told her to pass me to her supervisor,
who then informed her that it was possible, and she passed me onto someone
else who did flag the phones.

I just called SPCS to get the phones flagged and was told to ask for
"Technical Support" on the initial voice prompt inquiry.

Bob
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:38:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Bob Smith wrote:
>
> <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1117656922.105284.63540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Interesting. I've never had any trouble getting a rep to flag my
> > phone for an update.
> >
>
> I did last week, when going from 10026 to 10027. I asked the rep to flag my
> phones, and she said it wasn't possible. I asked her how long she had been a
> rep, and the answer was "not long". I told her to pass me to her supervisor,
> who then informed her that it was possible, and she passed me onto someone
> else who did flag the phones.
>
> I just called SPCS to get the phones flagged and was told to ask for
> "Technical Support" on the initial voice prompt inquiry.

I just called Customer Service and asked that my phone be flagged for
the latest PRL.

CS said, "All you have to do is press *2 and say 'PRL.'"

When I told her that her suggestion wouldn't work, she was surpised
and asked that I hold for Technical Support.

While the problem of all CS Reps still not having the same information
still remains, my total hold time was under 3 minutes.

*Relatively* painless! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 5:46:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Tinman wrote:
> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>
>>Agreed. I have also never had a problem
>>
>
>
> Then surely it must never happen...


Must be. I called yesterday and got it done in one call. :) 

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 3:26:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

It appears like Sprint has now added the new Alltel markets (formerly
AT&T wireless markets that were divested) to this new PRL. Pretty
worthwhile update for some.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 5:39:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:46:34 -0400, Isaiah Beard
<sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

>Tinman wrote:
>> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>>
>>>Agreed. I have also never had a problem
>>>
>>
>>
>> Then surely it must never happen...
>
>
>Must be. I called yesterday and got it done in one call. :) 

There has indeed been a decided change in procedure and/or
training.

Of the past five OTA PRL updates I've attempted, four were the
sort of ridiculous situations some are complaining about. CSR wouldn't
know what to do, would tell me to call *2 and say "prl update" (which
I would do and get connected to "plan upgrade"), would say he/she had
flagged my accounts and it wouldn't be done, would switch me to the
"trouble department", would switch me to "technical services" where
someone would explain to me that I "didn't need PRL updates", etc.

I used to do it all the time and it proceeded seamlessly. I've
been with SPCS for six years. The horror story reports are NOT
anomalies. There's something afoot.

DGI
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 12:53:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"David G. Imber" wrote:
> Of the past five OTA PRL updates I've attempted, four were the
> sort of ridiculous situations some are complaining about. CSR wouldn't
> know what to do, would tell me to call *2 and say "prl update" (which
> I would do and get connected to "plan upgrade"), would say he/she had
> flagged my accounts and it wouldn't be done, would switch me to the
> "trouble department", would switch me to "technical services" where
> someone would explain to me that I "didn't need PRL updates", etc.

I have also had _all_ of these things happen in the past.
Multiple times. Yesterday I said "technical support"
to the Claire-replacement and got a knowledgeable
and helpful person. The trick seems to be to avoid
the generic know-nothing, don't-care CSRs that you get
if you just call in through the standard method.

It's just amazing how _hugely_ different the responses
are from different CSRs.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 10:00:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1117779976.999845.115990@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> It appears like Sprint has now added the new Alltel markets (formerly
> AT&T wireless markets that were divested) to this new PRL. Pretty
> worthwhile update for some.

Larry, any ideas on where those Alltel markets are at?

Bob
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:19:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Bob, Oklahoma City is one.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 9:18:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Just now, I said "technical support" and this led to two more levels of
voice menus. Next I repled "phone support" and last "representative".
Like LL, I was then connected to a knowledgeable and helpful person.

ll wrote:
>
>
> I have also had _all_ of these things happen in the past.
> Multiple times. Yesterday I said "technical support"
> to the Claire-replacement and got a knowledgeable
> and helpful person. The trick seems to be to avoid
> the generic know-nothing, don't-care CSRs that you get
> if you just call in through the standard method.
>
> It's just amazing how _hugely_ different the responses
> are from different CSRs.

--
Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A680
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 11:07:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1117873151.187816.292140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Bob, Oklahoma City is one.

Any in SC, like between Charlotte, NC & Myrtle Beach, SC. I ask as the route
I take drops SPCS coverage and usually hits Alltel analog coverage about 60
miles out of Charlotte.

Bob
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 11:07:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I thought that Alltel was CDMA. If that is true, why is the phone going into
analog mode?


"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p Zmoe.15393$w21.4515@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1117873151.187816.292140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>> Bob, Oklahoma City is one.
>
> Any in SC, like between Charlotte, NC & Myrtle Beach, SC. I ask as the
> route
> I take drops SPCS coverage and usually hits Alltel analog coverage about
> 60
> miles out of Charlotte.
>
> Bob
>
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 12:17:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:xfnoe.1598$tr.1339@fed1read03...
> I thought that Alltel was CDMA. If that is true, why is the phone going
into
> analog mode?

We aren't talking big metro areas here ... think of it like a drive in the
country, off any major highway.

Bob
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 2:45:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Bob,

Alltel in Greenville/Anderson, SC was added on 10028. In fact 10028
had a lot of good changes and it is recommended for all users to update.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:57:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
> Interesting. I've never had any trouble getting a rep to flag my
> phone for an update.
>

Me either. Lately, the updates are automatic when I call *2 and I don't
even have to ask for it.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
Spammers please contact me at renegade@veldy.net.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:50:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
> It appears like Sprint has now added the new Alltel markets (formerly
> AT&T wireless markets that were divested) to this new PRL. Pretty
> worthwhile update for some.
>

Indeed. I just came back from a trip to southeast Louisiana with PRL
10028. Was able to roam on Alltel CDMA quite seamlessly in outlying
places where the Sprint signal doesn't reach, whereas just six months
ago I was getting "no service."

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:52:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> I thought that Alltel was CDMA. If that is true, why is the phone going into
> analog mode?

Alltel is mostly CDMA, but they are still in the traditional cellular
band in all markets. Alltel is what Verizon wireless was when it first
started: a carrier whose network consists of many old-school mom & pop
operations that were acquired along the way. It would not be a surprise
that the more remote markets are still AMPS only.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:52:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Isaiah Beard wrote:
> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>
>> I thought that Alltel was CDMA. If that is true, why is the phone
>> going into analog mode?
>
>
> Alltel is mostly CDMA, but they are still in the traditional cellular
> band in all markets. Alltel is what Verizon wireless was when it first
> started: a carrier whose network consists of many old-school mom & pop
> operations that were acquired along the way. It would not be a surprise
> that the more remote markets are still AMPS only.

Actually, you're partially right, but Alltel hasn't gobbled up as much as
Verizon. Their recent purchase of Western Wireless (and the CellularONE
brand-name) is far and away the biggest. Alltel serves smaller areas with a
full complement of telecomm services; rural areas and smaller cities are
their target market. Until the AT&T deal, Cleveland was their biggest market
for wireless (Verizon spun the former GTE network off to them because
AirTouch was also in the market, and both couldn't flip to VZW due to
monopoly concerns). I'm pretty sure their largest landline market is Charlotte.


--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Coming to you from Southern California's High Desert, where the
temperatures are as high as the gas prices! / 888.480.4NET (4638)

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
!