Dell Inspiron 1525 BSOD

dlorentz

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I was given a Dell inspiron 1525 (service tag FQ23JF1 in case anybody wants to look at the hardware)and I wanted to upgrade it to Windows 7. I kept with the 32 bit version because it originally had Vista 32 on it and Dell has those drivers in case I needed them. When I installed it it seemed stable, but now 6 months later I started getting the BSOD, but it would happen at different times. mostly on startup. When I did some investigation with a program called BlueScreenView, I saved the information into the text below.

When I started Win 7 Driver Verifier, I could not even get started up.(which I guess is what this program is used for, to force a driver issue). Driver Verifier settings (create custom settings)(predefined settings of standard, force I/O requests and IRP logging) and selecting all drivers on this computer.

The 3 time I could record it, the last 3 drivers in the stack was dxgkrnl.sys, halmacpi.dll, and ntkrnlpa.exe
and one of those time those 3 were there and also igdkmd32.sys.

Since it says "caused by driver halmacpi.dll", and that is a signed and verified microsoft driver, does this mean I have a hardware issue? and how can I track that down?
Since there were no important files on this, I reformated and did a clean install of win7. The only software I have on it now is win 7, avast AV, and the dell drivers for the ricoh card reader and the sigma tel audio. all other drivers came from windows disk. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for anybody that has time for me.

==================================================
Dump File : 062612-64319-01.dmp
Crash Time : 26/06/2012 12:41:47 PM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION
Bug Check Code : 0x000000c9
Parameter 1 : 0x0000000c
Parameter 2 : 0x87523400
Parameter 3 : 0x8e346f68
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : halmacpi.dll
Caused By Address : halmacpi.dll+5b48
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+dcea4
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+32f9f1
Stack Address 2 : ntkrnlpa.exe+a22a9
Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+a80f5
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\062612-64319-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 137,736
==================================================

dlorentz

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Looks like I may have it solved. run hard disk test with seatools for dos, everything looked good. I decided to run Dell onboard diagnostics because it has a hard drive test as well. It ran and came up with Memory Integrity Test Dimm B. I swapped the dimms in their slots just to make sure it was seated properly. thetest then came up with Memory Integrity Test Dimm A.
I'm not a fan of the old dell diagnostics, but the hardware was old too so what the heck. Dell is sending me a stick on Monday. Thanks Brett, your suggestion led me to it.

hey GamerK
Just in case this is not the problem, when I get the new memory in I will run System File Checker, but does this only make sure microsoft system files are not corrupted? Does it do anything else?
Thanks again to all who replied,
Daren