Using a headset

Beukeboom

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
On my sound card there are five holes (I don't know what they're called), each a different color: yellow, blue, green, pink, and black. My speakers are plugged into my subwoofer which in turn is plugged into the green hole. My microphone is plugged into the pink hole, and as for the other three holes, I have no idea what they are for. Can someone just brief me on what they are all for? I'm interested because I just got into using Skype, a new internet communications program (same exact thing as Roger Wilco except way better). I've been playing online games and talking to friends using a headset that I just bought. Ultimately, what I'm looking to do is to have it so that all sounds come out of my computer speakers, and only the voice of my friends come through the headset ear pieces. Although I'm not familiar with all of this, the reason I believe this is possible is because when I was looking at the two prongs (the metal pieces that you plug into the sound card) on the headset, one was labeled pink (for the microphone piece), and the other was black. It was this black prong that got me thinking that this could be done. So I plugged the pink prong of the headset into the pink hole, I plugged the black prong of the headset into the black hole, and I left my computer speakers plugged into the green hole. Now the microphone of the headset worked, but all the sound (including my friends voice) still came through the computer speakers. Is there a way to change this so that my friends voice ONLY comes through the headset, and all other computer sounds come through the computer speakers? Thanks for all help.

Grey_Area

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004
OK. Try this link for a description of what the different holes do - they are for surround sound systems.

http://www.bigred.co.uk/Preview/faq.htm#audisp

As far as I know, there's no way to control that only the voices come thru the headphones. I'm having similar problems in that I HAVE surround sound, but my headphones are the GameVoice ones, and so are combined mic and phones. The phones only take up ONE jack, so I still get sound coming out of the other speakers (currently I just have my headphones jacked into the left & right speaker jack).

I can plug my headphones into the socket on my surround sound volume control, but that means I can't use my Game Voice unit (because the mic cable won't reach).

As far as I know, you can't "split off" the voices into the headphones. In theory, the voice over IP software your are using would have to assign them to only use the left and right speakers, but the game you are playing would still assign some sounds to the left and right speakers as well, so you'd get that through your phones too.

Even in these days of multi-trillion operations per second computers, it still seems there are things we can't have...

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Usually it is this:
Green: Line out (front left/right)
Black: Rear out (rear left/right)
Yellow: Center/Sub out
Blue: Line in
Pink: Mic in

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>