How to check temperatures with sensors

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
You need to load the sensors modules. Usually done with modprobe <your-sensor-here>

If you don't know which ones you need, run sensors-detect as root, and that should, well, detect the sensors.

<i>I used to have a girl, but then I got my CS degree...</i>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
See if /proc is mounted. If it isn't, run "mount -t proc proc /proc".

sensors-detect also needs to be run, if you haven't run it already. Make sure you've loaded any modules it tells you to load.

Also "modprobe i2c-proc".

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
I've got it working with sensors-detect, but the temps display very strange values.TEMP2 shows 11,2C (should be something like 40c). TEMP3 28,5C (should be 60C).

The config asked a lot of questions (YES/NO) which I had no idea what to answer so I just answered the default.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Motherboard manufacturers often connect different sensor features to circuits monitoring different things. sensors-detect has no reliable way to tell which sensor feature is connected to your CPU temp diode, your chipset temp diode, your ambient temp diode, etc. so it comes preconfigured with some wild-guess temperature.

TEMP2 sounds like it's just a bogus sensor--a sensor feature that the motherboard manufacturer didn't connect to anything. Its readings are probably meaningless.

TEMP3 is probably your ambient case temperature. I imagine TEMP1 is your CPU temperature. You can edit your sensors.conf file (usually in /usr/local/etc/sensors.conf or /etc/sensors.conf) and play around with it a little to change the sensor labels and alarm settings.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Temp 1 is 32C, and I guess it's the motherboard temp (displays what it should)
Temp 2 should be processor temp (should be 40C when idle)
Temp 3 an external diode which I put in the gfx-card heatsink (should be 60C)

Atleast this is the order that BIOS displays them.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Have a look in /etc/sensors.conf.

You can edit the labels and alarm values to suit your setup. There's a lot of different chips listed in that file, so make sure you're editing the right section. Don't forget to run 'sensors -s' afterwards to set the values.

<i>I used to have a girl, but then I got my CS degree...</i>