DO NOT WANT STEAM ON THE PC GAMES

G

I LOVE ALL THE PC GAMES. BUT I AM NOT HAPPY
AS I DO NOT LIKE STEAM OR GAMESPY IT SHOULD NOT BE ON THE GAME DVDS ALL PEOPLE WANT TO DO IS JUST PLAY THE GAMES NOT GO INTO STEAM OR GAMESPY ITS PUTING PEOPLE OFF GAMES FOR GOOD ITS TO MUCH *** - EMAIL AND PASSWORDS THEN THINGS GO WRONG WITH STEAM THEN YOU CANT PLAY YOUR OWN GAMES BECAUSE OF STEAM

THEN YOU CANT PLAY YOUR OWN GAMES BECAUSE OF STEAM

Just to be clear...they are never "your own games"... read the license terms... you are only licenced to use the programs/games.
Apart from that pedantic point... in general - I agree - but I make an exception for steam.
Steam gives the publisher good DRM... and it does give them a good way to respond to bugs etc with updates (reducing their support costs).
Steam (to my mind) has a good track record for stability and gives you good offline capability to play your games in the V rare event when steam is down... or more likely... your own internet is down. Assuming the game is not an online one... obviously.

I will not buy a game that uses something else... e.g. EA's Origin service..... so I did not not but Mass effect 3 for instance...

If its not Battle.net.... Steam or stand alone... I dont use.

But each person has to make their own call.

Cheers

kulmnar - 2 wrongs don't.... Anyway, as explained steam is what it is. I get frustrated with the amount of hacking on MW3 - they do not do much because we still keep buying/using the game and new DLCs.
-Bruce

bucknutty

Distinguished
I have used all the game services. It gets to be a pain to keep track of Sony Station, Steam, Origin, Battle.net. but it is what it is.

Of those steam is the best. It works pretty good has some value added features like friends list and great sales. Downloads of games even games I bought in 2004 work well and are pretty fast. I used to be a huge pirate and download games like crazy. Now because of the sales and features of steam, I have not illegally downloaded anything in like 3-4 years.

Off-line mode works pretty good but you have to set steam to offline while you have a connection. If your internet goes out unexpected your dead in the water.

I LOVE ALL THE PC GAMES. BUT I AM NOT HAPPY
AS I DO NOT LIKE STEAM OR GAMESPY IT SHOULD NOT BE ON THE GAME DVDS ALL PEOPLE WANT TO DO IS JUST PLAY THE GAMES NOT GO INTO STEAM OR GAMESPY ITS PUTING PEOPLE OFF GAMES FOR GOOD ITS TO MUCH *** - EMAIL AND PASSWORDS THEN THINGS GO WRONG WITH STEAM THEN YOU CANT PLAY YOUR OWN GAMES BECAUSE OF STEAM

No offense but no one cares if you like Steam or not. Dont use it and dont post in caps.

G

I personally like steam. Great friends list, almost always stable, good deals, best DRM solution I've seen. It's actually a good thing for the devs to help prevent piracy which is killing PC gaming.

AngryMoosejacker

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Steam is for Lobsters--sweet corn--and trains...You buy a pc game--you go home and load it---register it---and play it....No need for steam....Just another finger in the till--Only way to stop it is DO NOT BUY games that require it....If everyone hurts them in their pocketbook the steam will cool off and go away...

AngryMoosejacker

bucknutty

Distinguished
Steam really is a great service. It’s a shame you’re forced to use it but that it the way of most big publishers. If not steam you’re forced to use origin for ea titles. Or battle.net for blizzard titles, or station for sony titles. It just is what it is. I guess you can go play sega geneses and not have to worry about it.