Opinions about SB Audigy 2 PCMCIA?

Last response: in Home Audio
April 6, 2005 8:19:10 AM

Greetings ppl,
I am currently pretty happy E-Magic EMI 2/6 USB1.1 based soundcard user,
but because I would like to make things
even smaller and portable - I started looking for PCMCIA based soundcards
that I might buy if right one appears.

Good soundcard manufacturer/designer called ECHO makes dj purpose 4ch
output or basic purpose 2ch input 2ch output pcmcia cards called Indigo, but
I would like to know if this Creative Soundblaster has finally done
something little better that others with their PCMCIA based Audigy. (At
least I am happy with Creative Nomad Jukebox 3, portable mp3/wav
recorder/player with 20Gb HD).

Does someone know if this really works fine with features like low latency
ASIO2.0, 44,1KHz, 48KHz and 96KHz and does s/n ratios meet told specs or how
they compare to EMI 2/6 that I use just fine when external PSU attached
while Laptopping (my current laptop gives noisy power to USB when charging
battery that I almost always do). Desktop PC is just fine even without
external PSU.

I am not after anything super hero quality but decent over 84dB s/n noise
while recording or playbacking and
healthy frequency response of course is one thing needed. and other basic
needs like channel crosstalk.

How does PCMCIA soundcards perform in CPU usage when comparing to USB
devices? I have found EMI 2/6 to take little bit more CPU power that PCI
soundcard in same system. Nothing special but anyway.

Is there any other PCMCIA solutions (in lower price range below 300usd)?

As frontend / monitoring purpose I use Sound Devices mixpre field mixer
which has good headphone amp, nice
micpres and good rugged design and works with batteries as well if no
wallpower nearby (or if its bad power with
tricky ground loops, useful while live gigging or recording)

Opinions and even speculations are welcome,

thanks in advance,

Jukka Andersson
Finland

www.rihmasto.com

More about : opinions audigy pcmcia

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:36:22 AM

I have nothing but praise for echo and I dislike sb.

Julian

"J.A.A." <hyeena@fi.sci> wrote in message
> Greetings ppl,
> I am currently pretty happy E-Magic EMI 2/6 USB1.1 based soundcard user,
> but because I would like to make things
> even smaller and portable - I started looking for PCMCIA based soundcards
> that I might buy if right one appears.
>
> Good soundcard manufacturer/designer called ECHO makes dj purpose 4ch
> output or basic purpose 2ch input 2ch output pcmcia cards called Indigo,
> but
> I would like to know if this Creative Soundblaster has finally done
> something little better that others with their PCMCIA based Audigy. (At
> least I am happy with Creative Nomad Jukebox 3, portable mp3/wav
> recorder/player with 20Gb HD).
>
> Does someone know if this really works fine with features like low latency
> ASIO2.0, 44,1KHz, 48KHz and 96KHz and does s/n ratios meet told specs or
> how
> they compare to EMI 2/6 that I use just fine when external PSU attached
> while Laptopping (my current laptop gives noisy power to USB when charging
> battery that I almost always do). Desktop PC is just fine even without
> external PSU.
>
> I am not after anything super hero quality but decent over 84dB s/n noise
> while recording or playbacking and
> healthy frequency response of course is one thing needed. and other basic
> needs like channel crosstalk.
>
> How does PCMCIA soundcards perform in CPU usage when comparing to USB
> devices? I have found EMI 2/6 to take little bit more CPU power that PCI
> soundcard in same system. Nothing special but anyway.
>
> Is there any other PCMCIA solutions (in lower price range below 300usd)?
>
> As frontend / monitoring purpose I use Sound Devices mixpre field mixer
> which has good headphone amp, nice
> micpres and good rugged design and works with batteries as well if no
> wallpower nearby (or if its bad power with
> tricky ground loops, useful while live gigging or recording)
>
> Opinions and even speculations are welcome,
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Jukka Andersson
> Finland
>
> www.rihmasto.com

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:17:06 PM

starting point of view same with me, but again.

..jukka

"Julian Adamaitis" <nospamJulianPA@Access4Less.net> wrote in message
> I have nothing but praise for echo and I dislike sb.
>
> Julian
>

> "J.A.A." <hyeena@fi.sci> wrote in message
> > Greetings ppl,
> > I am currently pretty happy E-Magic EMI 2/6 USB1.1 based soundcard user,
> > but because I would like to make things
> > even smaller and portable - I started looking for PCMCIA based
soundcards
> > that I might buy if right one appears.
> >
> > Good soundcard manufacturer/designer called ECHO makes dj purpose 4ch
> > output or basic purpose 2ch input 2ch output pcmcia cards called Indigo,
> > but
> > I would like to know if this Creative Soundblaster has finally done
> > something little better that others with their PCMCIA based Audigy. (At
> > least I am happy with Creative Nomad Jukebox 3, portable mp3/wav
> > recorder/player with 20Gb HD).
> >
> > Does someone know if this really works fine with features like low
latency
> > ASIO2.0, 44,1KHz, 48KHz and 96KHz and does s/n ratios meet told specs or
> > how
> > they compare to EMI 2/6 that I use just fine when external PSU attached
> > while Laptopping (my current laptop gives noisy power to USB when
charging
> > battery that I almost always do). Desktop PC is just fine even without
> > external PSU.
> >
> > I am not after anything super hero quality but decent over 84dB s/n
noise
> > while recording or playbacking and
> > healthy frequency response of course is one thing needed. and other
basic
> > needs like channel crosstalk.
> >
> > How does PCMCIA soundcards perform in CPU usage when comparing to USB
> > devices? I have found EMI 2/6 to take little bit more CPU power that PCI
> > soundcard in same system. Nothing special but anyway.
> >
> > Is there any other PCMCIA solutions (in lower price range below 300usd)?
> >
> > As frontend / monitoring purpose I use Sound Devices mixpre field mixer
> > which has good headphone amp, nice
> > micpres and good rugged design and works with batteries as well if no
> > wallpower nearby (or if its bad power with
> > tricky ground loops, useful while live gigging or recording)
> >
> > Opinions and even speculations are welcome,
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> >
> > Jukka Andersson
> > Finland
> >
> > www.rihmasto.com

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:17:07 PM

"J.A.A." <hyeena@fi.sci> wrote

> starting point of view same with me, but again.
>
> .jukka

Again??? Get the Echo. Get the Echo. Get the Echo.

SB has done too many weird things on the products of their's I've seen and
it seems to get worse with every higher horsepower version.

In my experience, the Echo products I've used install easy, have low
background demand, are bit accurate and cost effective.

!