Troubles playing DVD movies

hotbbq

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
I have a Samsung combo drive (SM348B, 16xDVD, 48xW, 24X ReW). When I play movies on my PC often times the audio track will suddenly start lagging behind a second or so. I have to stop the movie and then restart it to correct the lag. Also, at intermitent times the movie will freeze with the sound "stuck". My whole system locks up and I have to hard reboot. I have a Audigy card with latest drivers and PowerDVD XP.

<b>Only in America would a drive-up ATM have brail numbers.</b>

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
See if Samsung has a firmware upgrade for your drive. The only other thing I can think of is that you may have a slow system. *shrug*

GK

OOoo Look I'm a member! Do I get Privleges now? Where's the secret decoder ring?

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Yeah, a slow CPU won't be good enough to decode the MPEG-2 DVD movies. Also have you enabled DMA in Windows for your combo drive?

hotbbq

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
I upgraded to the lastest firmware, and so far no lockups, but the slightly off sound is still happening. It shouldn't be a performance problem. I have a Athlon XP 2100+, GeForce4 Ti4200, 768MB DDR 2100. The DVD drive is master and cd-rom drive is slave. Both are set to Ultra DMA Mode 2.

<b>Only in America would a drive-up ATM have brail numbers.</b>

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
The only other possibility I can even think of is sound card drivers unless the DVD audio is being sent out to a receiver via SPDIF connection. You didn't specify what sound card you have so I don't know if it's a 5.1 card or not.

GK

OOoo Look I'm a member! Do I get Privleges now? Where's the secret decoder ring?