Starting my own studio Gear suggestions wanted!!

Last response: in Home Audio
April 6, 2005 12:06:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.locksmithing,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

After 14 years in the wedding business, a sideline locksmithing
business and a 1 year stint as a Linux programmer (not a dime to be
made in Linux, the users are too dammed cheap and steal everything) I
have decided to open my own recording studio.

I have about $40,000 to play with and I have started assembling gear.

Sam Ash seems to have everything I need and Paul Ash is assisting me
himself, but I just want to run things by this group.

I'm looking at Samson amplifiers,(400w/ch) Samson resolv monitors and a
presonus package which includes some great Peavy mikes, Hosa cables,
Berhinger mixing board (a real beauty) and a Samson Mike/Headphone
package as well.

Paul is telling me how Samson makes great gear, but I dunno. I never
heard of them and the name sounds a little too much like Sam Ash.

But I admit the gear sounds great.

I'm rounding out the setup with a Mac G5, Protools Digi02 and some
Alesis compressors and reverb units.

So whaddy think?
Is this da' bomb!!
Stephanie Goldfarb
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:04:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.locksmithing,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

And you thought progamming Linux was a tough way to make a living...

On 5 Apr 2005 20:06:45 -0700, "Stephanie Goldfarb"
<goldfarb_does_weddings@yahoo.com> wrote:

>After 14 years in the wedding business, a sideline locksmithing
>business and a 1 year stint as a Linux programmer (not a dime to be
>made in Linux, the users are too dammed cheap and steal everything) I
>have decided to open my own recording studio.
>
>I have about $40,000 to play with and I have started assembling gear.
>
>Sam Ash seems to have everything I need and Paul Ash is assisting me
>himself, but I just want to run things by this group.
>
>I'm looking at Samson amplifiers,(400w/ch) Samson resolv monitors and a
>presonus package which includes some great Peavy mikes, Hosa cables,
>Berhinger mixing board (a real beauty) and a Samson Mike/Headphone
>package as well.
>
>Paul is telling me how Samson makes great gear, but I dunno. I never
>heard of them and the name sounds a little too much like Sam Ash.
>
>But I admit the gear sounds great.
>
>I'm rounding out the setup with a Mac G5, Protools Digi02 and some
>Alesis compressors and reverb units.
>
>So whaddy think?
>Is this da' bomb!!
> Stephanie Goldfarb
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:05:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.locksmithing,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

On 5 Apr 2005 20:06:45 -0700, "Stephanie Goldfarb"
<goldfarb_does_weddings@yahoo.com> wrote:

>So whaddy think?

I think you're a troll
April 6, 2005 2:07:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.locksmithing,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

Giving the benefit of the doubt that this thread
is not a troll ...

Stephanie Goldfarb wrote:

> After 14 years in the wedding business, a sideline locksmithing
> business and a 1 year stint as a Linux programmer (not a dime to be
> made in Linux, the users are too dammed cheap and steal everything) I
> have decided to open my own recording studio.
>
> I have about $40,000 to play with and I have started assembling gear.

Q. How do you make a small fortune in the music business ?
A. Start with a large one.

> Sam Ash seems to have everything I need and Paul Ash is assisting me
> himself, but I just want to run things by this group.

I've been doing this over 30 years, and spent and
continue to spend considerable sums, and I can
assure you that neither I nor anyone has "everything
I need".
If you plan on using this group as a resource,

> I'm looking at Samson amplifiers,(400w/ch) Samson resolv monitors and
> presonus package which includes some great Peavy mikes, Hosa cables,
> Berhinger mixing board (a real beauty) and a Samson Mike/Headphone
> package as well.

You are opening up a can of worms here ...
I have done some shopping at Sam's.
It sounds like the salesman has you pegged.

> Paul is telling me how Samson makes great gear, but I dunno. I never
> heard of them and the name sounds a little too much like Sam Ash.
>
> But I admit the gear sounds great.

You need to start listening closer, and compare
against better gear.

> I'm rounding out the setup with a Mac G5, Protools Digi02 and some
> Alesis compressors and reverb units.

Search the archives for 3630 or "Alesis compressor"
and then think again. Alesis made a few decent
pieces over the years but their conpressor is NOT
one of them.

> So whaddy think?
> Is this da' bomb!!
> Stephanie Goldfarb

I suggest you not buy all the gear from one vendor.
If you do buy from one vendor, it should be a pro-
audio shop not a guitar warehouse.

What kind of market are you in ?
What portion of the budget will go to building
and treating the room(s) ?
Any experience with electronic upkeep and repair ?
Any experience with engineering, producing, etc. ?
Or will you hire staff ?

rd

PS - don't give up the wedding business just yet.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:14:55 AM

Just as I hit "post" I realized that I was crossposting my reply, and
that
it is more likely a troll.
My apologies to the list.

rd

darned google
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:14:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

Stephanie Goldfarb wrote:
> After 14 years in the wedding business, a sideline locksmithing
> business and a 1 year stint as a Linux programmer (not a dime to be
> made in Linux, the users are too dammed cheap and steal everything) I
> have decided to open my own recording studio.
>
> I have about $40,000 to play with and I have started assembling gear.
>
> Sam Ash seems to have everything I need and Paul Ash is assisting me
> himself, but I just want to run things by this group.
>
> I'm looking at Samson amplifiers,(400w/ch) Samson resolv monitors and a
> presonus package which includes some great Peavy mikes, Hosa cables,
> Berhinger mixing board (a real beauty) and a Samson Mike/Headphone
> package as well.
>
> Paul is telling me how Samson makes great gear, but I dunno. I never
> heard of them and the name sounds a little too much like Sam Ash.
>
> But I admit the gear sounds great.
>
> I'm rounding out the setup with a Mac G5, Protools Digi02 and some
> Alesis compressors and reverb units.
>
> So whaddy think?
> Is this da' bomb!!
> Stephanie Goldfarb

I think you're getting some bad advice.

Find a local studio owner that has a nice setup and pay
him for a couple of hours of consultation on what to buy
based upon your projected needs.

and.... why on earth are you posting this message on a
locksmith NG?

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

jn145_deletethisfirst_@verizon.net
http://www.retromedia.net
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:44:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.locksmithing,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:06:45 -0700, Stephanie Goldfarb wrote:

<snip>

Silly Flatfish, I don't think the aquarium will let you build a recording
studio in your tank. Besides, you'll electrocute yourself.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 12:31:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.locksmithing,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

> On 5 Apr 2005 20:06:45 -0700, "Stephanie Goldfarb"
> <goldfarb_does_weddings@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> After 14 years in the wedding business, a sideline locksmithing
>> business and a 1 year stint as a Linux programmer (not a dime to be
>> made in Linux, the users are too dammed cheap and steal everything)
>> have decided to open my own recording studio.

>> I have about $40,000 to play with and I have started assembling
gear.

Nothing like starting small, eh? ;-)

>> Sam Ash seems to have everything I need and Paul Ash is assisting
me
>> himself, but I just want to run things by this group.

Ever hear of Dr. Ben Dover? Whether you know it or not...

>> I'm looking at Samson amplifiers,(400w/ch) Samson resolv monitors
>> and a presonus package which includes some great Peavy mikes, Hosa
>> cables, Berhinger mixing board (a real beauty) and a Samson
>> Mike/Headphone package as well.

The troll theory gets some substantiation.

>> Paul is telling me how Samson makes great gear, but I dunno. I
never
>> heard of them and the name sounds a little too much like Sam Ash.

Doooohhh!

>> But I admit the gear sounds great.

To you, in your current state of being informed...

>> I'm rounding out the setup with a Mac G5, Protools Digi02 and some
>> Alesis compressors and reverb units.

Alesis 3630s?

playon wrote:

> And you thought progamming Linux was a tough way to make a living...

Agreed. If ignorance is bliss and this isn't a troll, we're talking
mega-levels of bliss.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:00:06 PM

RD Jones wrote:

>Giving the benefit of the doubt that this thread
>is not a troll ...

Idiot. You can't tell from the groups list?

*plonk*
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:10:42 PM

Stephanie Goldfarb wrote:
> After 14 years in the wedding business, a sideline locksmithing
> business and a 1 year stint as a Linux programmer (not a dime to be
> made in Linux, the users are too dammed cheap and steal everything) I
> have decided to open my own recording studio.
>
> I have about $40,000 to play with and I have started assembling gear.
>
> Sam Ash seems to have everything I need and Paul Ash is assisting me
> himself, but I just want to run things by this group.
>
> I'm looking at Samson amplifiers,(400w/ch) Samson resolv monitors and a
> presonus package which includes some great Peavy mikes, Hosa cables,
> Berhinger mixing board (a real beauty) and a Samson Mike/Headphone
> package as well.
>
> Paul is telling me how Samson makes great gear, but I dunno. I never
> heard of them and the name sounds a little too much like Sam Ash.
>
> But I admit the gear sounds great.
>
> I'm rounding out the setup with a Mac G5, Protools Digi02 and some
> Alesis compressors and reverb units.
>
> So whaddy think?
> Is this da' bomb!!
> Stephanie Goldfarb

I think you are going to learn how to turn 40K into 5K overnight.

Jim

--
it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your
mouth and remove all doubt....

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 12:10:42 +0000, LJM wrote:

> Stephanie Goldfarb wrote:
>> After 14 years in the wedding business, a sideline locksmithing
>> business and a 1 year stint as a Linux programmer (not a dime to be
>> made in Linux, the users are too dammed cheap and steal everything) I
>> have decided to open my own recording studio.
>>
>> I have about $40,000 to play with and I have started assembling gear.
>>
>> Sam Ash seems to have everything I need and Paul Ash is assisting me
>> himself, but I just want to run things by this group.
>>
>> I'm looking at Samson amplifiers,(400w/ch) Samson resolv monitors and a
>> presonus package which includes some great Peavy mikes, Hosa cables,
>> Berhinger mixing board (a real beauty) and a Samson Mike/Headphone
>> package as well.
>>
>> Paul is telling me how Samson makes great gear, but I dunno. I never
>> heard of them and the name sounds a little too much like Sam Ash.
>>
>> But I admit the gear sounds great.
>>
>> I'm rounding out the setup with a Mac G5, Protools Digi02 and some
>> Alesis compressors and reverb units.
>>
>> So whaddy think?
>> Is this da' bomb!!
>> Stephanie Goldfarb
>>

> I think you are going to learn how to turn 40K into 5K overnight.
>
> Jim

I'll bet the salesperson at Sam Ash thinks he/she has died and gone to
heaven!
Seriously, you sound like a whale (a big time spender) and you really
should do more research before spending that kind of money.

Maybe give fletcher over at Mercenary a call.

http://www.mercenary.com/

Good luck
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:12:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.locksmithing,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

Get the amps that go all the way to 11. They're louder than the amps
that only go to 10.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:15:20 PM

"Marc" <marc@goaway.com> wrote in message news:p an.2005.04.06.12.57.07.655000@goaway.com...

> All followups repointed to rec.audio.pro

Thank you. I really don't understand why our regulars are replying
to the fully loaded newsgroup posting line... a troll is a troll, and any
nutcase that posts an audio question with a response pointed to a
locksmithing group if full of horse feces.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:15:21 PM

In article <czW4e.8067$pU5.952@trnddc06> mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com writes:

> > All followups repointed to rec.audio.pro
>
> Thank you. I really don't understand why our regulars are replying
> to the fully loaded newsgroup posting line... a troll is a troll

Probably to be sure that the troll sees the replies and will keep the
trolling going.

April 8, 2005 11:22:48 AM

Ms. Goldfarb is a troll.
!