Wargame ratings

Hi,

With the recent commotion surrounding the ratings on video-games

http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2543

I wonder if wargames get rated in the US (I guess they do) - and what
rating they get ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
4 answers Last reply
More about wargame ratings
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <1126536231.283398.301500@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > With the recent commotion surrounding the ratings on video-games
    >
    > http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2543
    >
    > I wonder if wargames get rated in the US (I guess they do) - and what
    > rating they get ?
    >
    > Greetz,
    >
    > Eddy Sterckx

    I don't know what they get (I never look), but I'm sure they're rated as
    all games are.

    I just looked... Matrix has a rating of RATING: Everyone - Violence
    for Battles in Italy.

    Epi

    ----
    Why does Briarroot come back with such a
    hate-filled reply calling me stupid, to a
    message that was apologetic?
    ----
    They say that people are smarter than computers.
    They don't mean people that think like computers.
    ----
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    >> wonder if wargames get rated in the US (I guess they do) >>- and what
    >>rating they get ?

    Computer wargames get the same kind of ratings as other computer games.
    GG's World at War is rated "T" for "teen" due to violence. Board wargames
    are not rated.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > With the recent commotion surrounding the ratings on video-games
    >
    > http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2543
    >
    > I wonder if wargames get rated in the US (I guess they do) - and what
    > rating they get ?
    >
    > Greetz,
    >
    > Eddy Sterckx

    Rating in the US is voluntary, it's done by the ESRB, details at:
    www.esrb.org

    That said, I've heard that some retail chains won't stock un-rated games, so
    while it's theoretically voluntary there is some monopsonistic market
    pressure to do it. Ha, I haven't had the opportunity to say monopsonistic
    in a while. <g>

    Regards,
    Mike Kreuzer
    www.mikekreuzer.com
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
    world domination, Mike Kreuzer mentioned

    ><eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> With the recent commotion surrounding the ratings on video-games
    >>
    >> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2543
    >>
    >> I wonder if wargames get rated in the US (I guess they do) - and what
    >> rating they get ?
    >>
    >> Greetz,
    >>
    >> Eddy Sterckx
    >>

    >Rating in the US is voluntary, it's done by the ESRB, details at:
    >www.esrb.org
    >
    >That said, I've heard that some retail chains won't stock un-rated games, so
    >while it's theoretically voluntary there is some monopsonistic market
    >pressure to do it. Ha, I haven't had the opportunity to say monopsonistic
    >in a while. <g>
    >
    >Regards,
    >Mike Kreuzer
    >www.mikekreuzer.com

    Rating of games in Australia is done to the same standards as film.
    It's compulsory and done by the same Board of Censors as the films
    (and videos) are. {We didn't have this imposition until the
    conservatives were elected in '96.}

    The categories are
    G Suitable for 8years old and under
    PG Parental Guidance recommended
    MA Mature Audience (15+)
    R Restricted (18+)
    X Explicit sexual content.

    R - rated games may not be sold or advertised. The latest Grand Theft
    Auto (San Something ??) was re-classified because there's apparently a
    downloadable patch or add-on which allows explicit sexual activity so
    it's now R and therefore all copies have been pulled from sale.

    X rated games (and films and fireworks) are only available through a
    legal anomaly in the Australian Capital Territory, but there's a
    thriving mail order industry.
    ..
    ..
    We are Microsoft of Borg.....Your technological distinctiveness will be
    added to our own.....Resistance is fu...
    ..
    General Protection Fault in MSBORG32.DLL

PC gaming Games Video IBM Video Games