  • IBM
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
September 12, 2005 11:43:51 AM

Hi,

With the recent commotion surrounding the ratings on video-games

http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2543

I wonder if wargames get rated in the US (I guess they do) - and what
rating they get ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

More about : wargame ratings

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:28:42 PM

In article <1126536231.283398.301500@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
> Hi,
>
> With the recent commotion surrounding the ratings on video-games
>
> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2543
>
> I wonder if wargames get rated in the US (I guess they do) - and what
> rating they get ?
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

I don't know what they get (I never look), but I'm sure they're rated as
all games are.

I just looked... Matrix has a rating of RATING: Everyone - Violence
for Battles in Italy.

Epi

----
Why does Briarroot come back with such a
hate-filled reply calling me stupid, to a
message that was apologetic?
----
They say that people are smarter than computers.
They don't mean people that think like computers.
----
http://www.curlesneck.com
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:19:57 AM

>> wonder if wargames get rated in the US (I guess they do) >>- and what
>>rating they get ?

Computer wargames get the same kind of ratings as other computer games.
GG's World at War is rated "T" for "teen" due to violence. Board wargames
are not rated.
September 13, 2005 4:10:49 PM

<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> With the recent commotion surrounding the ratings on video-games
>
> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2543
>
> I wonder if wargames get rated in the US (I guess they do) - and what
> rating they get ?
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Rating in the US is voluntary, it's done by the ESRB, details at:
www.esrb.org

That said, I've heard that some retail chains won't stock un-rated games, so
while it's theoretically voluntary there is some monopsonistic market
pressure to do it. Ha, I haven't had the opportunity to say monopsonistic
in a while. <g>

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:10:50 PM

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, Mike Kreuzer mentioned

><eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the recent commotion surrounding the ratings on video-games
>>
>> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2543
>>
>> I wonder if wargames get rated in the US (I guess they do) - and what
>> rating they get ?
>>
>> Greetz,
>>
>> Eddy Sterckx
>>

>Rating in the US is voluntary, it's done by the ESRB, details at:
>www.esrb.org
>
>That said, I've heard that some retail chains won't stock un-rated games, so
>while it's theoretically voluntary there is some monopsonistic market
>pressure to do it. Ha, I haven't had the opportunity to say monopsonistic
>in a while. <g>
>
>Regards,
>Mike Kreuzer
>www.mikekreuzer.com

Rating of games in Australia is done to the same standards as film.
It's compulsory and done by the same Board of Censors as the films
(and videos) are. {We didn't have this imposition until the
conservatives were elected in '96.}

The categories are
G Suitable for 8years old and under
PG Parental Guidance recommended
MA Mature Audience (15+)
R Restricted (18+)
X Explicit sexual content.

R - rated games may not be sold or advertised. The latest Grand Theft
Auto (San Something ??) was re-classified because there's apparently a
downloadable patch or add-on which allows explicit sexual activity so
it's now R and therefore all copies have been pulled from sale.

X rated games (and films and fireworks) are only available through a
legal anomaly in the Australian Capital Territory, but there's a
thriving mail order industry.
..
..
We are Microsoft of Borg.....Your technological distinctiveness will be
added to our own.....Resistance is fu...
..
General Protection Fault in MSBORG32.DLL