Harpoon & Matrix Games

Hi,

It's not exactly a secret that people are working on new and improved
editions of the classic Harpoon - see links at the bottom

In a response Erik Rutins of Matrix Games let drop that they're going to
make an announcement regarding this in 2 weeks ...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/m.asp?m=949042&mpage=1&key=

More about Harpoon :

http://www.advancedgaming.biz/index.php?cevent=page.view&id=43

.... and the stuff I had already filed away :

-------------------------------
Harpoon - Commander’s Edition
-------------------------------
= Harpoon Classic + improved AI and database elements

Available : ???

http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=1831
http://www.warfarehq.com/page_left_column.php?content=article_disp&p=303
&page=1&cat=1
http://www.advancedgaming.biz/index.php?cevent=page.view&id=59

-----------------------------------
Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare
-----------------------------------
= Harpoon 3 + multiplayer

Available : ???

http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=1831
http://www.warfarehq.com/page_left_column.php?content=article_disp&p=303
&page=1&cat=1
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/m.asp?m=899939
http://www.advancedgaming.biz/index.php?cevent=page.view&id=59

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam esse."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

In article <Xns96D6C8136D693eddysterckxhotmailco@67.98.68.19>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...

> It's not exactly a secret that people are working on new and improved
> editions of the classic Harpoon - see links at the bottom
>
> In a response Erik Rutins of Matrix Games let drop that they're going to
> make an announcement regarding this in 2 weeks ...
>
> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/m.asp?m=949042&mpage=1&key=

Here's hoping the first thing they dike out of the code is that insane,
utter bullshit "lok and kee" system. Nothing makes me more furious than
having to find a crack *for a game I already purchased*.

Kinda makes me say, "Next time, I'll just save that $50."

--
Giftzwerg
***

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:04:02 -0400 the fame writer, Giftzwerg wrote
not much to be useful on, "Re: Harpoon & Matrix Games",

>Here's hoping the first thing they dike out of the code is that insane,
>utter bullshit "lok and kee" system. Nothing makes me more furious than
>having to find a crack *for a game I already purchased*.

What are you babbling about? I have the game and there is not
Look and key system.
--
DISCLAIMER
If you find a posting or message from myself

> Here's hoping the first thing they dike out of the code is that insane,
> utter bullshit "lok and kee" system.

Uhm, the "lok and kee" system was diked out Harpoon 3 almost two years ago,
while Harpoon Classic Gold never had it.

In article <432f44fe@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, mikekreuzer@SAMEAGAIN.com
says...

> > If Matrix wants my money, the first prerequisite is ditching *all of*
> > this bullshit and using a nice, simple serial number. Of course,
> > they've gotta fix the other zillion bugs first, but getting the code out
> > of the hands of those "Advanced Gaming" zipperheads has to be a step in
> > the right direction.
>
> I'm almost too frightened to ask <g> but what's the problem with AG's
> esellerate set up? Doesn't it just involve getting a serial number, or am I
> misreading their site?

For the lucky ones, maybe this is all there is to it. I couldn't get
the thing "activated" at all - on any system - and investigation soon
proved that I wasn't alone.

And the most infuriating part is that ... look, I can understand why a
Microsoft feels it needs to use "activation" strategies; they're
protecting a few hundred billion dollars in software profits. But these
piddly little AG bozos didn't even *create* this game - they ported
somebody else's code to Windows!

--
Giftzwerg
***

"Giftzwerg" <giftzwerg999@NOSPAMZ.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <432f44fe@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, mikekreuzer@SAMEAGAIN.com
> says...
>
>> > If Matrix wants my money, the first prerequisite is ditching *all of*
>> > this bullshit and using a nice, simple serial number. Of course,
>> > they've gotta fix the other zillion bugs first, but getting the code
>> > out
>> > of the hands of those "Advanced Gaming" zipperheads has to be a step in
>> > the right direction.
>>
>> I'm almost too frightened to ask <g> but what's the problem with AG's
>> esellerate set up? Doesn't it just involve getting a serial number, or
>> am I
>> misreading their site?
>
> For the lucky ones, maybe this is all there is to it. I couldn't get
> the thing "activated" at all - on any system - and investigation soon
> proved that I wasn't alone.
>
> And the most infuriating part is that ... look, I can understand why a
> Microsoft feels it needs to use "activation" strategies; they're
> protecting a few hundred billion dollars in software profits. But these
> piddly little AG bozos didn't even *create* this game - they ported
> somebody else's code to Windows!

I hadn't realised AG had gone the compulsory registration route. That
explains it.

The activate-it _after-you've-already-bought-a-bloody-password_ strategy is
guaranteed to annoy people even if it does work. AFAIK neither eSellerate
nor the software passport/armadillo system they use requires this double
activation, though they both offer it. I wonder why AG thinks it necessary?
Be interesting to know.

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, Old Salt card carrying Curmudgeon mentioned

> That's your problem, you don't know!!! The original post you
>reply to was talking about classic Harpoon!!! NOT Harpoon3!!!!!
>
> Here reread it again: Ok, he was talking about both. Never
>mind.
>
>--
> DISCLAIMER
>If you find a posting or message from myself
>offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please
>ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting,
>complain to me and I will demonstrate.

Don't stress yoursef, Salty.

Trying to discuss anything in an intelligent manner with Giftzwerg is
like trying to teach a pig to whistle: it just wastes your time and
annoys the pig.

Killfile him and keep your equanimity.
..
..
We are Microsoft of Borg.....Your technological distinctiveness will be
added to our own.....Resistance is fu...
......$$@#
..
General Protection Fault in MSBORG32.DLL

On 21 Sep 2005 01:03:02 -0500 the fame writer, Miowarra Tomokatu (aka
Tomo) wrote not much to be useful on, "Re: Harpoon & Matrix Games",

>Killfile him and keep your equanimity.

I should, but every once in a while he does have something
worth while to say, not often, but once in a while.
--

In article <2pt1j1lsksk59ihhhm0laajchv0nokmeie@4ax.com>,
not@thistime.net says...

> > Here reread it again: Ok, he was talking about both. Never
> >mind.

> Don't stress yoursef, Salty.
>
> Trying to discuss anything in an intelligent manner with Giftzwerg is
> like trying to teach a pig to whistle: it just wastes your time and
> annoys the pig.
>
> Killfile him and keep your equanimity.

"Keep" his equanimity?

[And don'tcha love the surreal byplay here - as though I hadn't been
right, and Salt hadn't just channelled Emily Litella and thrown in the
towel?]

--
Giftzwerg
***
"The media's breathless tabulation of casualties in Iraq - now, over
1,800 deaths - is generally devoid of context. Here's some context:
between 1983 and 1996, 18,006 American military personnel died
accidentally in the service of their country. That death rate of 1,286
per year exceeds the rate of combat deaths in Iraq by a ratio of nearly
two to one."
- John Hinderaker

> I should, but every once in a while he does have something
> worth while to say, not often, but once in a while.

When he knows what he is talking about, then ol' Giftzy can offer valuable
insights. Pity that sometimes tries to offer valuable insights about things
he has no clue about.

To preempt the unavoidable "cite?", the discussion about WWII Online was a
good example.

In article <WmaYe.39481$nT3.35277@tornado.fastwebnet.it>,
reckall@hotmail.com says...

> > I should, but every once in a while he does have something
> > worth while to say, not often, but once in a while.
>
> When he knows what he is talking about, then ol' Giftzy can offer valuable
> insights. Pity that sometimes tries to offer valuable insights about things
> he has no clue about.

<laughter>

Yeah, like you've ever laid a glove on me.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"The media's breathless tabulation of casualties in Iraq - now, over
1,800 deaths - is generally devoid of context. Here's some context:
between 1983 and 1996, 18,006 American military personnel died
accidentally in the service of their country. That death rate of 1,286
per year exceeds the rate of combat deaths in Iraq by a ratio of nearly
two to one."
- John Hinderaker

> <laughter>
>
> Yeah, like you've ever laid a glove on me.

This was another good example ^___^

In article <ETbYe.39725$nT3.16473@tornado.fastwebnet.it>,
reckall@hotmail.com says...

> > Yeah, like you've ever laid a glove on me.
>
> This was another good example ^___^

Of what? Your jumping into a thread, laying a rhetorical grogan, and
bailing?

--
Giftzwerg
***