Balanced XLR & TRS inputs

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 7, 2005 3:31:35 AM

I notice some audio interfaces have either XLR and 1/4" TRS balanced inputs,
or both. The MOTU 896HD has mainly XLR while the MOTU 828mkII has mainly
TRS. My question is, can Mics be plugged into balanced TRS inputs? XLR->TRS
cables?

Say I had a 828MKii and wanted to record 3 mics, it only has 2 XLR inputs
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:31:36 AM

"mark" <mark@localhost.com> wrote in message
news:D 31nvu$nht$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I notice some audio interfaces have either XLR and 1/4" TRS balanced
>inputs,
> or both. The MOTU 896HD has mainly XLR while the MOTU 828mkII has mainly
> TRS. My question is, can Mics be plugged into balanced TRS inputs?
> XLR->TRS
> cables?
>
> Say I had a 828MKii and wanted to record 3 mics, it only has 2 XLR inputs

It depends if they are mic inputs or not. It takes three wires for a
balanced low impedance mic connection so either XLR or TRS connectors will
work fine ( sometimes TRS connectors get used instead of XLR because of
panel space and/or budget restrictions )

The important thing you need to figure out is if the connections are
balanced MIC or balance LINE connections. If they are line connections a
mic by itself probably wont be usable without an external mic pre.

If they are balanced mic inputs then a simple XLR to TRS converter cable
will work fine.

Best of luck!

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:31:36 AM

mark <mark@localhost.com> wrote:
>I notice some audio interfaces have either XLR and 1/4" TRS balanced inputs,
>or both. The MOTU 896HD has mainly XLR while the MOTU 828mkII has mainly
>TRS. My question is, can Mics be plugged into balanced TRS inputs? XLR->TRS
>cables?

If the TRS input has enough gain, and if phantom power is not an issue,
yes. The problem is that most TRS inputs are line level and not mike level,
so there is no preamp and not enough gain for typical mikes.

>Say I had a 828MKii and wanted to record 3 mics, it only has 2 XLR inputs

Yes, the other inputs on that box are line-level only. You would need an
external preamp to bring the mike signal up 40 dB or so to line level.
--scott
April 7, 2005 3:31:36 AM

mark wrote:
> I notice some audio interfaces have either XLR and 1/4" TRS balanced
inputs,
> or both. The MOTU 896HD has mainly XLR while the MOTU 828mkII has
mainly
> TRS. My question is, can Mics be plugged into balanced TRS inputs?
XLR->TRS
> cables?
>
> Say I had a 828MKii and wanted to record 3 mics, it only has 2 XLR
inputs

The lack of P48 rules out most condensor mics.
The 828 only has an extra 12dB of gain to allow
-10 signals.
Probably wouldn't get a good result,
due to S/N issues unless you had a REALLY
loud source.
I did something like this once in a pinch-
EV PL20 in front of a loud bass amp into
a compressor. The unit had 'some' gain and
the recorded siganl was still somewhat low
but usable.
You need a preamp.

rd
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:54:04 AM

"mark" <mark@localhost.com> wrote in message
news:D 31nvu$nht$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I notice some audio interfaces have either XLR and 1/4" TRS balanced
>inputs,
> or both. The MOTU 896HD has mainly XLR while the MOTU 828mkII has mainly
> TRS. My question is, can Mics be plugged into balanced TRS inputs?
> XLR->TRS
> cables?
>
> Say I had a 828MKii and wanted to record 3 mics, it only has 2 XLR inputs

I've never seen anything with a TRS mic input. I'd assume it was a line in
if TRS. Get a preamp. Behringers are about $100 for 2 ch's.

Julian
April 7, 2005 12:59:42 PM

With "Universal" or "combo jacks" connectors being popular it is now
becoming common to see this.
The Universal can accept either xlr or 1/4"
MOTU uses them on some equipment and RME uses them on the Quadmic Pre.

I use them in custom boxs to save space. From one connector I can wire the
mic to xlr and use the 1/4" for unbalanced line in and also the 1/4" for
unbalanced out.

Photo at: http://www.rme-audio.de/english/micpreamps/quadmic.htm

Rich

"Julian Adamaitis" <nospamJulianPA@Access4Less.net> wrote in message

> "mark" <mark@localhost.com> wrote in message
> news:D 31nvu$nht$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>I notice some audio interfaces have either XLR and 1/4" TRS balanced
>>inputs,
>> or both. The MOTU 896HD has mainly XLR while the MOTU 828mkII has mainly
>> TRS. My question is, can Mics be plugged into balanced TRS inputs?
>> XLR->TRS
>> cables?
>>
>> Say I had a 828MKii and wanted to record 3 mics, it only has 2 XLR inputs
>
> I've never seen anything with a TRS mic input. I'd assume it was a line
> in if TRS. Get a preamp. Behringers are about $100 for 2 ch's.
>
> Julian

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:58:14 PM

Julian Adamaitis wrote:

> I've never seen anything with a TRS mic input.

Neither had I until the MIO 2882 came along.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:54:10 PM

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> Julian Adamaitis wrote:
>>
>> I've never seen anything with a TRS mic input.
>
> Neither had I until the MIO 2882 came along.

Aw, but isn't that same jack used for line as well as mic?

Julian
August 22, 2009 3:23:42 AM

Sorry; I'm still having a hard time understanding this balanced / unbalanced thing.

I have a preamp that can send both unbalanced and balanced signal; and I have a soundcard that can receive both unbalanced and balanced signal. Both are mono - inputs- and outputs, the preamp has an XLR and a 1/4" jack output, while my soundcard has only 1/4" jack (balanced or unbalanced).

I've figured out as much that a balanced signal is most wanted, because of noise reduction and maybe some other stuff,

So; how do I in the best matter connect my preamp to my soundcard? Is there such a thing as a balanced 1/4" jack-jack? Or is it just a stereo-jack (tip, ring, sleeve) used as a mono cable, and that will be balanced?

Thanks a bunch, and forgive me for my ignorance;-)

Glenn
!