Is there a truely functional Bluetooth phone from Sprint?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 5, 2005 6:22:09 PM

It is becoming clear to me that I need to create a PAN (Personal Area
Network). I have yet to find an all in one device that meets all of my
requirements. I want to be able to create a PAN using a BT phone, a Palm
Tungsten 3 and either my home or work computer (which ever is in range) and
a soon to be purchased BT handfree device for my car.

I like the PCS coverage I get in my city and find that it is even better in
other places that I have traveled so I would like to stay with Sprint. BUT
.... the company has very few BT phones. I dont want a PDA and phone as a
single device for several reasons (including size).

Does any one have first hand experience in using the Sony Ericsson T608
orthe LG-PM-325? Specifically I would like to know if they work with
anything other than a BT headset. I have read user comments elsewhere that
say that the BT has been hobbled by Sprint to prevent full BT interfacing.

Thanks in advance.
June 5, 2005 6:22:10 PM

> I dont want a PDA and phone as a
>single device for several reasons (including size).

So your not at all interested in the Treo 650 then,
right?
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 6:54:12 PM

"Columbus Guy" <mitch4@mindspring.com> wrote in

> It is becoming clear to me that I need to create a PAN (Personal Area
> Network). I have yet to find an all in one device that meets all of my
> requirements. I want to be able to create a PAN using a BT phone, a
> Palm Tungsten 3 and either my home or work computer (which ever is in
> range) and a soon to be purchased BT handfree device for my car.
>
> I like the PCS coverage I get in my city and find that it is even
> better in other places that I have traveled so I would like to stay
> with Sprint. BUT ... the company has very few BT phones. I dont want a
> PDA and phone as a single device for several reasons (including size).
>
> Does any one have first hand experience in using the Sony Ericsson
> T608 orthe LG-PM-325? Specifically I would like to know if they work
> with anything other than a BT headset. I have read user comments
> elsewhere that say that the BT has been hobbled by Sprint to prevent
> full BT interfacing.
>
> Thanks in advance.
I have the PM 325 and as far as I know it onlyb works with a headset.
June 6, 2005 7:44:42 AM

Sprint offers three phones that have blue-tooth, and you may have already
said "no" to the Treo. This would be a pointer to phonescoop where you can
look for yourself. Audiovox / UTStarcom PPC-6600 / PPC-6601 / XV6600 (HTC
Harrier) LG PM-325 PalmOne Treo 650 (CDMA)
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id%5B%5D=5...

All of those phones available with a new line of service at
www.better-price-wireless.com as well.

dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)
If I can help: dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam or thru this notes forum.

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> I dont want a PDA and phone as a
>>single device for several reasons (including size).
>
> So your not at all interested in the Treo 650 then,
> right?
June 6, 2005 6:22:25 PM

The LG-PM325 does headset and Dial Up Networking..... that is
all...... no other bluetooth functions.

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 14:54:12 GMT, Ski <ski@nospamtoday.com> wrote:

>"Columbus Guy" <mitch4@mindspring.com> wrote in
>
>> It is becoming clear to me that I need to create a PAN (Personal Area
>> Network). I have yet to find an all in one device that meets all of my
>> requirements. I want to be able to create a PAN using a BT phone, a
>> Palm Tungsten 3 and either my home or work computer (which ever is in
>> range) and a soon to be purchased BT handfree device for my car.
>>
>> I like the PCS coverage I get in my city and find that it is even
>> better in other places that I have traveled so I would like to stay
>> with Sprint. BUT ... the company has very few BT phones. I dont want a
>> PDA and phone as a single device for several reasons (including size).
>>
>> Does any one have first hand experience in using the Sony Ericsson
>> T608 orthe LG-PM-325? Specifically I would like to know if they work
>> with anything other than a BT headset. I have read user comments
>> elsewhere that say that the BT has been hobbled by Sprint to prevent
>> full BT interfacing.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
> I have the PM 325 and as far as I know it onlyb works with a headset.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 7:40:53 PM

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 14:22:09 GMT, "Columbus Guy"
<mitch4@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Does any one have first hand experience in using the Sony Ericsson T608
>orthe LG-PM-325? Specifically I would like to know if they work with
>anything other than a BT headset. I have read user comments elsewhere that
>say that the BT has been hobbled by Sprint to prevent full BT interfacing.

I have personally used the T608, the PM-325, and the Treo 650.

The T608 was a decent phone and had good Bluetooth sync capabilities
with Outlook. I did not use it with wireless headsets or any other
Bluetooth capabilities. The T608 flaked out on me after about 10
months. I liked it OK for the 10 months that it worked.

After the T608 died, Sprint swapped it with a PM-325 which is a nifty
phone with color screen, slide cover, and a camera. The T-608 did not
have a camera which is of little interest to me anyway. The PM-325
would NOT sync with Outlook as of 3 months ago so I took it back after
about 3 days and exchanged it for a Treo 650.

The Treo 650 is a very, very nice phone. It has a Palm PDA, an SD
slot, and a camera. You quickly forget about the larger size after
you get hooked on the additional features. The Treo 650 does
Bluetooth exceptionally well; syncs with Outlook and now communicates
with a BT GPS receiver.

-B-

Remove the copyright to reply by e-mail.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 3:25:44 AM

Columbus Guy wrote:
> It is becoming clear to me that I need to create a PAN (Personal Area
> Network). I have yet to find an all in one device that meets all of my
> requirements. I want to be able to create a PAN using a BT phone, a Palm
> Tungsten 3 and either my home or work computer (which ever is in range) and
> a soon to be purchased BT handfree device for my car.

Yeah well, good luck with that. I did the Bluetooth thing for about
three months and discovered that Bluetooth is overhyped. Far from an
ideal option. It is easily disrupted by wifi, headset sound quality is
marginal at best, and data connection throughput was much better using a
USB cable than a bluetooth DUN profile connection.

> I like the PCS coverage I get in my city and find that it is even better in
> other places that I have traveled so I would like to stay with Sprint. BUT
> ... the company has very few BT phones. I dont want a PDA and phone as a
> single device for several reasons (including size).
>
> Does any one have first hand experience in using the Sony Ericsson T608
> orthe LG-PM-325? Specifically I would like to know if they work with
> anything other than a BT headset. I have read user comments elsewhere that
> say that the BT has been hobbled by Sprint to prevent full BT interfacing.

And, they would be largely wrong.

The LG PM 325 will do DUN profile, and headset profile. It will work
for data connectivity. It does NOT have OBEX object transfer to
wirelessly push ringtones and graphics from one device to another, but
it looks like that's not something you're looking for in the
applications your mention. Just be sure you have the most recent
firmware version (I forget the current version number, but just be sure
to check for firmware updates on your phone; it can update itself over
the air). The original firmware that shipped with these phones has a
buggy DUN profile.

The T608 is uninhibited, but it is an out-of-production model.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.