$25

Last response: in Home Audio
April 6, 2005 11:42:43 PM

What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

More about : question

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:42:44 PM

My Monster Cable StudioLink cables. They are super-quiet and provide
very, very clean signals. Of course, if you add up the total purchase
price I paid for all my cables, it is a LOT more than $25!

:-)
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:42:44 PM

"James_Jonasson" <mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote in message
> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

Hi James,

Are you shopping for a present for a young studio engineer or are you
writing an article? ;-)

Maybe a microphone pop filter?
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-RAX-POMT.html

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com
April 6, 2005 11:42:44 PM

"James_Jonasson" <mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote in message
> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

Dinner.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:42:44 PM

James_Jonasson wrote:

>What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
>to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
>direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

I suggest something that makes one's chair more comfortable, such as a
lumbar support pad or something.

| two, one and one make one."
mkesti@gv.net | - The Who, Bargain
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:42:44 PM

James_Jonasson wrote:
> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

Pop-filter....my Stedman cost considerably more but you can get a
cheaper one or make one with the same results. WC = BC

Jonny Durango
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:46:58 PM

Mogami 1/4" patch cord. Fell in love with it, bought a second. Now my
entire cable collection will be replaced over time with Mogami.

It's so awesome that Guitar Center now sells Mogami cables "pre-made".
It used to be you had to buy the Mogami wire on spools and then
solder the connections yourself.

Halleluja to the end of that! Truly "plug and play".
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:53:39 PM

James_Jonasson wrote:
> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

Bottle of wine?
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:40:48 AM

EADGBE <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote:
>My Monster Cable StudioLink cables. They are super-quiet and provide
>very, very clean signals. Of course, if you add up the total purchase
>price I paid for all my cables, it is a LOT more than $25!

What is WITH the google trolls this week?
--scott
April 7, 2005 12:40:49 AM

news:D 31vig$jkf$1@panix2.panix.com...
> EADGBE <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote:
>>My Monster Cable StudioLink cables. They are super-quiet and provide
>>very, very clean signals. Of course, if you add up the total purchase
>>price I paid for all my cables, it is a LOT more than $25!
>
> What is WITH the google trolls this week?
> --scott

I don't know, is it spring break or something? Lots of young idle hands for
the devil to play with?

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"James_Jonasson" <mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote in message
> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

Buying a sack for the band.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:10:45 AM

In article
<c59dc1bc0c28563ce7e898edcd068cec@localhost.talkaboutaudio.com>,
mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com says...
> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

A TT plug wired to a Radio Shack piezo speaker, for troubleshooting
signal flow through the patchbay and console.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only

"Jay Levitt" <jay+news@jay.fm> wrote in message
> In article
> <c59dc1bc0c28563ce7e898edcd068cec@localhost.talkaboutaudio.com>,
> mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com says...
>> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most
>> difference
>> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
>> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?
>
> A TT plug wired to a Radio Shack piezo speaker, for troubleshooting
> signal flow through the patchbay and console.
>
> --
> Jay Levitt |
> Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only
> Faster: jay at jay dot fm | conclude that's because I don't have a
> http://www.jay.fm | full grasp of the situation. - Mark Adler

Good idea Jay!

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

Hey John & Scott:

Sorry, I didn't know this was a "private club." For what it's worth, I
have posted on this newsgroup off and on for the last couple of years.
I have changed internet providers and after a long absence have
recently come back on board. As for the "spring break" thing, I'm LONG
past my college days.

Sorry, guys, but it looks like you'll have to put up with my "trolling"
even after spring break ends. Hope you can find some way to deal with
it.

John L Rice wrote:
> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D 31vig$jkf$1@panix2.panix.com...
> > EADGBE <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote:
> >>My Monster Cable StudioLink cables. They are super-quiet and
provide
> >>very, very clean signals. Of course, if you add up the total
purchase
> >>price I paid for all my cables, it is a LOT more than $25!
> >
> > What is WITH the google trolls this week?
> > --scott
> > --
> > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
>
> I don't know, is it spring break or something? Lots of young idle
hands for
> the devil to play with?
>
> --
> John L Rice
> Drummer@ImJohn.com
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:45:24 AM

Hi,

My apologies to you sir! I didn't recognize your alias and I was actually
thinking more about the recent post ( that wasn't yours ) titled "Starting
my own studio Gear suggestions wanted!!", which seemed to be a pretty
obvious troll.

Since there has been a lot of discussion in the past about the merits of
Monster Cable and the way they seem to sue a lot of companies that have
'monster' in the company name and the general opinion in this group at least
is not all that favorable, anytime I see someone post that they really like
Monster Cable, I tend to assume that they are trying to stir up a storm from
the people who really dislike Monster Cable etc.

I actually have quite a few Monster Cables still in my studio but for the
last many years I've been buying only Mogami, ProCo and Canare since they
are more reasonably priced, nicer to work with ( Mogami in particular ) and
are more realistic and technical in their literature.

So, if you've been around here in the past you know people can be pretty
quick to judge and pounce. ;-)

It would be helpful if you were to sign a real name to your posts so people
have a better idea who they are talking to. ( but don't add your email
address like I foolishly do! ;-)

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"EADGBE" <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote in message

> Hey John & Scott:
>
> Sorry, I didn't know this was a "private club." For what it's worth, I
> have posted on this newsgroup off and on for the last couple of years.
> I have changed internet providers and after a long absence have
> recently come back on board. As for the "spring break" thing, I'm LONG
> past my college days.
>
> Sorry, guys, but it looks like you'll have to put up with my "trolling"
> even after spring break ends. Hope you can find some way to deal with
> it.
>
> John L Rice wrote:
>> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 31vig$jkf$1@panix2.panix.com...
> provide
> purchase
>> >
>> > What is WITH the google trolls this week?
>> > --scott
>> > --
>> > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
>>
>> I don't know, is it spring break or something? Lots of young idle
> hands for
>> the devil to play with?
>>
>> --
>> John L Rice
>> Drummer@ImJohn.com

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:00:50 AM

"EADGBE" <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote in message

> Hey John & Scott:
>
> Sorry, I didn't know this was a "private club." For what it's worth, I
> have posted on this newsgroup off and on for the last couple of years.
> I have changed internet providers and after a long absence have
> recently come back on board. As for the "spring break" thing, I'm LONG
> past my college days.
>
> Sorry, guys, but it looks like you'll have to put up with my
> "trolling"
> even after spring break ends. Hope you can find some way to deal with
> it.

Is it the same perception of value that keeps companies
like AOL and Monster Cable in business?
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:25:47 AM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:42:43 -0400, "James_Jonasson"
<mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote:

>What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
>to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
>direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

Fifth of RAP CD set. http://recaudiopro.net

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:25:48 AM

Ben Bradley wrote:

> Fifth of RAP CD set. http://recaudiopro.net

Good call!
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 10:56:32 AM

No harm done at all, John! I have to admit that I never thought about
the recent controversy over the Monster Cable lawsuits when I posted my
response to the original topic. I can see now how someone might
interpret that is an attempt to stir the pot.

Count me as one of the many who disapprove of Monster's recent tactics.
Now that you have mentioned Mogami, what can you tell me (us) about
them? I have heard good things, but I have never used them. In
particular, what are the ends like? Are they sturdy steel ends with
gold-plated tips? Are the XLR connectors Neutrik?

John L Rice wrote:
> [...]

worth, I
> > have posted on this newsgroup off and on for the last couple of
years.
> > I have changed internet providers and after a long absence have
> > recently come back on board. As for the "spring break" thing, I'm
LONG
> > past my college days.
> >
> > Sorry, guys, but it looks like you'll have to put up with my
"trolling"
> > even after spring break ends. Hope you can find some way to deal
with
> > it.
> >
> > John L Rice wrote:
> >> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 31vig$jkf$1@panix2.panix.com...
> > provide
> > purchase

> >> I don't know, is it spring break or something? Lots of young idle

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 11:35:18 AM

In article <c59dc1bc0c28563ce7e898edcd068cec@localhost.talkaboutaudio.com>,
"James_Jonasson" <mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote:

> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

"Modern Recording Techniques", 1st Edition. In 1975 or so. The 6th Edition
just came out, by the way.

-Jay
April 7, 2005 11:38:50 AM

"James_Jonasson" <mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote in message
> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

Shock-mount.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 11:53:44 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> EADGBE <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote:
> >My Monster Cable StudioLink cables. They are super-quiet and provide
> >very, very clean signals. Of course, if you add up the total
purchase
> >price I paid for all my cables, it is a LOT more than $25!
>
> What is WITH the google trolls this week?
> --scott

Define a google troll.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:59:16 PM

John L Rice wrote:
> "James_Jonasson" <mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote in message

>> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most
>> difference to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in,
>> cables, adapter, direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can
>> think of)?
>>

> Hi James,
>
> Are you shopping for a present for a young studio engineer or are
you
> writing an article? ;-)
>
> Maybe a microphone pop filter?
> http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-RAX-POMT.html

I've got one of those, only the Shure version. It looks impressive but
it seems to stay on the shelf.

If you're recording less-experienced performers, it is true that
something like this would be a really good choice.

However, if you're using common vocal mics, you can get more for your
buck, and have more consumer acceptance with a sack of foamies. ;-)
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:17:08 PM

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:42:43 -0400, James_Jonasson wrote
(in article <c59dc1bc0c28563ce7e898edcd068cec@localhost.talkaboutaudio.com>):

> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

bite sized hershey chocolate

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:35:44 PM

See Scott's post, I agree. Mogami, Canare, Gepco and Belden are all great.
I also have no problems with ProCo or Whirlwind for premade stuff as their
prices are reasonable and the quality seems very good. I like Mogami in
particular because it's easy to work with, it's easy to strip an solder and
the cable is very flexible and supple which makes it easy to route etc. And
while I haven't done any scientific analysis/comparison on my own, from what
I've read Mogami is respected as one of the top cables when it comes to
quality and reliability by audio professionals.

You can get some premade Mogami cables at Guitar Center now but I have
mainly purchased them from Hot Wired Cables (
http://stores.ebay.com/HOTWIRED-CABLES ) and Redco (
http://www.redco.com/ ). They both have standard configurations and do
custom work. I have normally purchased Mogami cables with Neutrik
connectors that are gold or standard plated. ( hey, what is that standard
plating? Nickel or?? I doubt it's silver. )

--

> [...]
> email
>> address like I foolishly do! ;-)
>>

>> --
>> John L Rice
>> Drummer@ImJohn.com
>>
>> "EADGBE" <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Hey John & Scott:
>> >
>> > Sorry, I didn't know this was a "private club." For what it's
> worth, I
>> > have posted on this newsgroup off and on for the last couple of
> years.
>> > I have changed internet providers and after a long absence have
>> > recently come back on board. As for the "spring break" thing, I'm
> LONG
>> > past my college days.
>> >
>> > Sorry, guys, but it looks like you'll have to put up with my
> "trolling"
>> > even after spring break ends. Hope you can find some way to deal

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:04:16 PM

EADGBE <hwbosshoss@aol.com> wrote:

>Count me as one of the many who disapprove of Monster's recent tactics.
>Now that you have mentioned Mogami, what can you tell me (us) about
>them? I have heard good things, but I have never used them. In
>particular, what are the ends like? Are they sturdy steel ends with
>gold-plated tips? Are the XLR connectors Neutrik?

Mogami traditionally has made bulk cable. So, you can call up a cable
supplier like Markertek, tell them you want some Mogami cables with
Neutrik or Switchcraft or Amphenol ends and they make them up for you,
at a fraction of the cost of the Monster junk. Or maybe you want Canare,
Belden, Gepco or Gotham, all of which are good cables that any cable company
will terminate in good connectors for you.

Recently Marshall, which is the Mogami importer, has introduced a line
of pre-terminated cables under the Mogami name, and they seem to be solid
enough.

Monster basically sells low-to-middle-grade cables at a very high price,
with a phenomenal dealer markup. Dealers love to carry it because of
the markup, so they have basically driven all of the better cable companies
out of the MI marketplace. You go to a music store and often your choices
are Hosa or Monster and nothing else. And the majority of the cost of the
Monster cable is going for marketing so they can sell more cables.

The good news is that Whirlwind is at least trying to fight for some space
in the MI stores.
--scott

April 7, 2005 3:12:32 PM

Well, I won't admit that there is $25 burning a hole in my pocket, so let's
just say that I started the thread to be social. I like to hear other
people's opinions.

There will be no article.

BTW, I don't get Scott's reference to Google trolls.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:12:33 PM

And for about $6 you can pick up a little tub of Moongel :
http://www.rtom.com/damperpads.html If you ever record drums or percussion
instruments this is a really valuable thing to have around.

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

> Well, I won't admit that there is $25 burning a hole in my pocket, so
> let's
> just say that I started the thread to be social. I like to hear other
> people's opinions.
>
> There will be no article.
>
> BTW, I don't get Scott's reference to Google trolls.

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:26:44 PM

I think I now understand the reference to a google troll.

Thanks to all who contributed. I now have a list of things to consider for
the $25 that may or may not exist.

Mogami cables have always worked very well for me. Fortunately, there is a
pro audio dealer in town that sells them.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:29:13 PM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:42:43 -0400, "James_Jonasson"
<mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote:

>What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
>to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
>direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

Latch Lake mic stand nuts. 1 1/4 inch things you can really get your
fingers on.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:35:24 PM

James_Jonasson <mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote:

>Thanks to all who contributed. I now have a list of things to consider for
>the $25 that may or may not exist.

Are the Shure low-pass networks and adjustable pads still under-$25?
The adjustable pads are among the most useful things around.
--scott

April 7, 2005 3:43:11 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> James_Jonasson <mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to all who contributed. I now have a list of things to
>> consider for the $25 that may or may not exist.
>
> Are the Shure low-pass networks and adjustable pads still under-$25?
> The adjustable pads are among the most useful things around.

IME both the Shure and A/T adjustable pads street-price around $40.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:06:42 PM

James_Jonasson wrote:
> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most
difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of bulk boxes of ear-plugs. ;-)
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:21:34 PM

Home made passive volume control...now all the subgroups and master out on
my DAW can run at unity...

Don

"James_Jonasson" <mail@jamesjonasson-nospam-.com> wrote in message
> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:42:35 PM

Roll of velcro Get-A-Grip & roll of gaffer's tape. For when you need
something held / stuck - right there.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:00:34 AM

John L Rice wrote:

> Since there has been a lot of discussion in the past about the merits of
> Monster Cable

"As good as Hosa, for a lot more money!!!"

--
ha
Anonymous

James_Jonasson wrote:

> What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> to your studio or recording setup

Flatpicks, guitar strings, and capos.

Oh, yeah, and beer, too.

--
ha
Anonymous

Willie K.Yee, M.D. wrote:

> "James_Jonasson"wrote:

> >What purchase in the $25 range (or free item) has made the most difference
> >to your studio or recording setup (software plug-in, cables, adapter,
> >direct box, tuner, studio log, or anything you can think of)?

> Latch Lake mic stand nuts. 1 1/4 inch things you can really get your
> fingers on.

Those things _are_ nifty. And the Latch Lake mic stand I saw at AES,
with a huge AEA ribbon mic, a Great River MP1-NV and a bowling ball
hanging off of it was the most appealing mic stand I've seen in a long
time. But I think it costs about 10x $25.

--
ha
Anonymous

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:00:35 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

>Those things _are_ nifty. And the Latch Lake mic stand I saw at AES,
>with a huge AEA ribbon mic, a Great River MP1-NV and a bowling ball
>hanging off of it was the most appealing mic stand I've seen in a long
>time. But I think it costs about 10x $25.

I was impressed by that mic stand but it cost more than any mic I own.
Maybe I need to buy some more expensive mics.

!