Known issues with LG DVD writer?

eclectasy

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Does anyone know of compatibility issues with Win7 and the LG Super Multi DVD Writer? If it makes any difference I have it connected to the JMB363 IDE on my EVGA x58 mobo. It is not a SATA drive so I have to. I used the drive to install windows 7 so I know it works. But I went to play a DVD (and even tried installing a game from a DVD install disc) and it just spins and spins. It reads CDs just fine. I updated the newest firmware (and maybe that's what caused it) and I installed all the software the came with it just in case but it will not read DVDs.

Solution
The only time I can recall that a DVD unit would not read or play a DVD correctly is when the information on the DVD itself is not compatible with the OS or an IDE cable is configured improperly. Or, in most cases, the drive is dead.
Trying a diffeent known to work drive would solve the issue of a bad firmware application rerdering the unit partially disabled. Be sure to use a 'common' SATA MB connector as opppsed to a special RAID designated plug for the SATA DVD player.

eclectasy

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Unfortunately, the drive is IDE only so I have no choice but to use the jmicron IDE because it's the only IDE on the board. And my only other known to work drive is CD-RW only. Do I need to just buy a new DVD drive?

Well, you mentioned you updated the firmware. So, after you updated the problem of not reading a DVD started. A new IDE DVD RW drive is $25 on newegg. If a new drive works properly that would confirm a problem with LG drive. When updating the firmware, did the message say the update was completed and correct?

The only time I can recall that a DVD unit would not read or play a DVD correctly is when the information on the DVD itself is not compatible with the OS or an IDE cable is configured improperly. Or, in most cases, the drive is dead.

Solution

eclectasy

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I forgot that I tried the DVD before I updated the firmware. It wouldn't read one of my movies so I updated the firmware thinking it was the problem. It worked in my old machine less than 24 hours ago. And it read my Windows 7 DVD in order to install Windows 7. I just can't figure out why it reads and writes CDs fine but gets hung up on DVDs now that Windows 7 is installed. And yes, the firmware completed successfully according to the dialog box.

G

Did you ever end up fixing this problem?

I have the same issue with my DVD drive not reading DVDs only and it's driving me crazy.

Any help or advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!