Battles in Normandy/Italy

what is the general consensus on these games before I jump in and buy them

I know they have gotten good reviews does the community still play them a
lot, and are they better than those dreaful Tiller games?
6 answers Last reply
More about battles normandy italy
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Havoc wrote:
    > what is the general consensus on these games before I jump in and buy them

    A general consensus in here ? not likely to happen :)

    That said, if you're a fan of "boardgames converted to the pc" type of
    games than the SSG games are right up your alley and the AI is tops,
    right there with the best.

    > I know they have gotten good reviews does the community still play them a
    > lot,

    Check out the BiI forum at :

    http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=192 and up a level for
    the other SSG forums.

    > and are they better than those dreaful Tiller games?

    Depends on what you're looking for. The AI in SSG's games is lightyears
    ahead of the AI in the Battlegr^^^^PzC engine, but the game mechanics
    are somewhat similar : each turn move every unit, fight, advance after
    combat - repeat at nauseam.

    If you're tired of having to move every unit each turn and are looking
    for a *real* commander's experience in an operational type of wargame
    check out Highway to the Reich from Panther Games -
    http://www.panthergames.com

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Epi Watkins wrote:
    > > > and are they better than those dreaful Tiller games?
    > >
    > > Depends on what you're looking for. The AI in SSG's games is lightyears
    > > ahead of the AI in the Battlegr^^^^PzC engine, but the game mechanics
    > > are somewhat similar : each turn move every unit, fight, advance after
    > > combat - repeat at nauseam.
    >
    > yeah but the UI in Battles... is much better than in the Tiller games.

    Agreed, except that the SSG games tend to cram a lot of game data in a
    tiny space, so some people find the graphics a bit of a strain on the
    eyes compared to the "cleaner" look of the Tiller engine. But there's
    not a shred of doubt that a feature by feature comparison of both
    engines would result in the SSG engine winning hands down.

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <1Za_e.617$DY.589@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
    twister@aol.com says...
    > what is the general consensus on these games before I jump in and buy them
    >
    > I know they have gotten good reviews does the community still play them a
    > lot, and are they better than those dreaful Tiller games?

    I like them. They're definitely better than Tiller's games. AI is much
    better for one thing. Much better.

    I find the scenarios in Battles in Italy much more interesting than in
    Normandy.

    I don't have any idea how many people play them.

    Epi

    ----
    Sub sims have always seemed like they should be fun.
    With Silent Hunter III they finally made one that is.
    ----
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > > and are they better than those dreaful Tiller games?
    >
    > Depends on what you're looking for. The AI in SSG's games is lightyears
    > ahead of the AI in the Battlegr^^^^PzC engine, but the game mechanics
    > are somewhat similar : each turn move every unit, fight, advance after
    > combat - repeat at nauseam.

    yeah but the UI in Battles... is much better than in the Tiller games.

    Epi

    ----
    Sub sims have always seemed like they should be fun.
    With Silent Hunter III they finally made one that is.
    ----
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:31:57 GMT, Havoc <twister@aol.com> wrote:
    > what is the general consensus on these games before I jump in and buy them
    >
    > I know they have gotten good reviews does the community still play them a
    > lot, and are they better than those dreaful Tiller games?

    They are good quality games with a reasonable user base. If you check
    the forums for the games you won't see that much at matrixgames.com.
    Most seem to use the run5 forums at ssg.com.au. If you're in for PBEM
    gaming there's a ladder there as well.

    Of the two games I like Italy better. The scenarios are much smaller
    in size and easier to play through in a couple of sessions. Also the
    situation is more interesting, both sides can do real damage. The AI
    puts up a good fight and I use a lot of the integrated tools like
    combat advisor and a check for hexes vulnerable to overruns.

    If you're interested in alternate scenarios the game also has good
    support of third party scenarios at the run5 site. But most of these
    come without adopted AI, so it's advised to play vs. humans only.

    Bye,
    Torsten
  6. These games are great and well worth the money compared to the hokey Tiller games, which are dreadful AND overpriced

    I own all the SSG games they are still some of the best wargames I play

PC gaming Reviews Games IBM Video Games Product