Strategic Command 2 - new screenshots

On 28 Sep 2005 00:57:54 -0700, "eddysterckx@hotmail.com"
<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/screenshots/index.html

Wow, the screenshots make it look a lot like Civ2. I'm kinda hoping
that 2d icons are an option.

> And ... is unit facing part of the game? If it is, then who's the idjit
> in the screenshot who's facing his panzers backwards?

Well since I'm the only one coding the game I guess that would be me :)

Not to worry guys, as stated the game is still under development and
believe me when I say there is a whole lot more to the game then a few
unit mirroring anomalies. But of course once we post the demo you can
decide the latter point for yourselves.

Now that being said, that particular scenario in question, Citadel, is
one of the newer ones and it DID reveal a few shortcomings in the unit
mirroring algorithms which have since been resolved (since those
screenshots were put together) by the programming department ;)

Hubert

<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Like it says in the subject - go and have a look here :
>
> http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/screenshots/index.html

I don't know about anyone else, but the switch to rectangles makes it look
too much like the civ world builder style games. I just wouldn't be able to
warm up to the look of the game.

In article <433af3f1$0$7867$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>, jean-
wilfrid.noel@wanadoo.fr says...
> Great ! But why are the borders of Germany so unrealistic ?
>
> JwN
>
> <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 1127894274.010053.114920@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Like it says in the subject - go and have a look here :
> >
> > http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/screenshots/index.html
> >
> > Greetz,
> >
> > Eddy Sterckx

In what way? I think what it's showing is control and not borders. I
could have looked at it wrong though.

Epi

----
Sub sims have always seemed like they should be fun.
With Silent Hunter III they finally made one that is.
----
http://www.curlesneck.com

"jean-wilfrid.noel" <jean-wilfrid.noel@wanadoo.fr> wrote in

> Great ! But why are the borders of Germany so unrealistic ?

On what screenshot ?

Generally spoken if you're going to use isometric squares, every border
/ river / lake / wood is a compromise. In fact the same holds true for
hex-based games as well. The tricks is not to be as close to the real
map as possible, but to make it so that historically correct gameplay
follows from your map. An example of this is the Leningrad area on

http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/screenshots/pages/2sc2.html

Incidently : this screenshot shows the "blocks" with Nato symbols as
well.

or how Paris is protected by the Seine on

http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/screenshots/pages/add%
20unit.html

or Crete being a lot bigger than IRL on

http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/screenshots/pages/sc1.html

While technically not correct, the combination of gameplay/rules and an
"incorrect" map can make the game-experience very realistic and
historically accurate.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam esse."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

In article <11jme2a8h0khea2@corp.supernews.com>, graesser@tca.net
says...

> <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Like it says in the subject - go and have a look here :
> >
> > http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/screenshots/index.html
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but the switch to rectangles makes it look
> too much like the civ world builder style games. I just wouldn't be able to
> warm up to the look of the game.

Yeah...The rest of the game may give it some more value, but I would
have preferred hexes too. I have a feeling the original Strategic
Command is the keeper.

Epi

----
Sub sims have always seemed like they should be fun.
With Silent Hunter III they finally made one that is.
----
http://www.curlesneck.com

jp

"Epi Watkins" <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <11jme2a8h0khea2@corp.supernews.com>, graesser@tca.net
> says...
> >
> > <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Like it says in the subject - go and have a look here :
> > >
> > > http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/screenshots/index.html
> >
> > I don't know about anyone else, but the switch to rectangles makes it
look
> > too much like the civ world builder style games. I just wouldn't be able
> > warm up to the look of the game.
>
> Yeah...The rest of the game may give it some more value, but I would
> have preferred hexes too. I have a feeling the original Strategic
> Command is the keeper.
>
> Epi
>
> ----
> Sub sims have always seemed like they should be fun.
> With Silent Hunter III they finally made one that is.
> ----
> http://www.curlesneck.com

Hey Epi, SH 3 is a hoot, eh ? Got it recently myself, great stuff.

In article <2eJ_e.723$aB1.5196@eagle.america.net>, jp@nicetry.com
says...

> "Epi Watkins" <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <11jme2a8h0khea2@corp.supernews.com>, graesser@tca.net
> > says...
> > >
> > > <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > I don't know about anyone else, but the switch to rectangles makes it
> look
> > > too much like the civ world builder style games. I just wouldn't be able
> > > warm up to the look of the game.
> >
> > Yeah...The rest of the game may give it some more value, but I would
> > have preferred hexes too. I have a feeling the original Strategic
> > Command is the keeper.
> >
> > Epi
> >
> > ----
> > Sub sims have always seemed like they should be fun.
> > With Silent Hunter III they finally made one that is.
> > ----
> > http://www.curlesneck.com
>

> Hey Epi, SH 3 is a hoot, eh ? Got it recently myself, great stuff.

I'm having a lot of fun with it. I guess my sig pretty much sums up my
feelings.

Epi

----

In article <1127961060.063240.236310@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
hcater@hotmail.com says...

> > And ... is unit facing part of the game? If it is, then who's the idjit
> > in the screenshot who's facing his panzers backwards?
>
> Well since I'm the only one coding the game I guess that would be me :)
>
> Not to worry guys, as stated the game is still under development and
> believe me when I say there is a whole lot more to the game then a few
> unit mirroring anomalies. But of course once we post the demo you can
> decide the latter point for yourselves.
>
> Now that being said, that particular scenario in question, Citadel, is
> one of the newer ones and it DID reveal a few shortcomings in the unit
> mirroring algorithms which have since been resolved (since those
> screenshots were put together) by the programming department ;)

That's OK, but ...

Is there a 2D map? Is unit facing significant?

--
Giftzwerg
***

No 2D map planned at the moment but there are of course the
military/nato style icons as an alternative to the 3D unit sprites. In
terms of unit facings, it is just eye candy for now

Hubert

Giftzwerg wrote:

> I would argue that if we're going to call 3D an "option," there needs to
> be a 2D "default" somewhere in the picture.

Ok - I was talking about the little 3D tanks vs. Nato symbols. The
isometric view *is* in fact a 2D view or more precisely : it's a 2D map
as seen from an angle to give it some depth perspective. Semantics - I
know.

Anyway I'm not bothered by the "tombstones", they look like Columbia
style blocks to me and I'll soon get used to them.

I even doubt I will ever see the 3D tanks - start SC2, go straight to
config and uncheck box that says "3D units" - back to main menu - start
new game

> I go two ways on "moddable." Sometimes "moddable" means just what you
> propose; enthusiasts can modify it to *enhance* already-sufficient
> realism, gameplay, or accuracy. But sometimes "moddable" means, "It's
> garbage out-of-the-box, so you'll be paying $50 for the bare opportunity
> to try and correct a disastrously-flawed design."

An unmoddable stinker remains a stinker - RTW got modded into a halfway
decent wargame, so I'll take moddable games over unmoddable any day of
the week. Besides, I'm a tinkerer - I spend half my game-time "under
the hood" of moddable wargames.

> ROME: TOTAL WAR was such a game. Pretty much ridiculous as an ancient
> warfare simulation - but proponents tried to deflect the obvious
> criticism by asserting that it could be repaired by "modding" some game
> files.

Don't remind me of that game - for me the biggest disappointment in
recent times, because I expected so much from it based on Medieval
Total War.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg said: "A flippant response would be that it's more like "eye
syrup of ipecac"
at this point. "

Now that's clever. Original?