SprintPCS SMS available yet?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 8, 2005 8:23:26 AM

Has Sprint implemented normal SMS yet? Phone-to-phone (not via email)?
Especially international phone-to-phone SMS? Any specific phone
models required?

I had checked two years ago when my last contract was up and Sprint
only offered an email/WAP pseudo-SMS.

I currently SMS's to/from the Philippines frequently. I would consider
switching to SPCS, but need to keep this functionality.

-MVL

More about : sprintpcs sms

June 8, 2005 5:32:34 PM

Mine is phone to phone using my samsung phone

<mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Has Sprint implemented normal SMS yet? Phone-to-phone (not via email)?
> Especially international phone-to-phone SMS? Any specific phone
> models required?
>
> I had checked two years ago when my last contract was up and Sprint
> only offered an email/WAP pseudo-SMS.
>
> I currently SMS's to/from the Philippines frequently. I would consider
> switching to SPCS, but need to keep this functionality.
>
> -MVL

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:33:07 PM

mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com wrote:
> Has Sprint implemented normal SMS yet? Phone-to-phone (not via email)?
> Especially international phone-to-phone SMS? Any specific phone
> models required?

Uhm, where the hell have you been? Not only has Sprint got "real" SMS,
so far they seem to be the only carrier that offers unlimited SMS at the
lowest price point ($5 for vision users, $10 without.. Cingular doesn't
offer unlimited at ALL).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
June 8, 2005 10:42:30 PM

mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com wrote:
> Has Sprint implemented normal SMS yet? Phone-to-phone (not via email)?
> Especially international phone-to-phone SMS? Any specific phone
> models required?
>
> I had checked two years ago when my last contract was up and Sprint
> only offered an email/WAP pseudo-SMS.
>
> I currently SMS's to/from the Philippines frequently. I would consider
> switching to SPCS, but need to keep this functionality.
>
> -MVL

Sprint began supporting true SMS in January 2004. Only the newer
Sprint phones have it.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com wrote:
> Has Sprint implemented normal SMS yet? Phone-to-phone (not via email)?
> Especially international phone-to-phone SMS? Any specific phone
> models required?
>
> I had checked two years ago when my last contract was up and Sprint
> only offered an email/WAP pseudo-SMS.
>
> I currently SMS's to/from the Philippines frequently. I would consider
> switching to SPCS, but need to keep this functionality.
>
> -MVL

Yes - domestic only.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:28:26 PM

RonInCal wrote:
> mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Has Sprint implemented normal SMS yet? Phone-to-phone (not via email)?
>> Especially international phone-to-phone SMS? Any specific phone
>> models required?

> Yes - domestic only.

Not correct. Sprint can SMS internationally as well. The difference
however is that unlike GSM you must prepend thedestination number with
the US dialing code for overseas calls, 011.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
June 9, 2005 7:27:19 PM

In article <iXLpe.1411$jX6.410@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
RonInCal <rg_1999@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Has Sprint implemented normal SMS yet? Phone-to-phone (not via email)?
>> Especially international phone-to-phone SMS? Any specific phone
>> models required?
>>
>Yes - domestic only.

Not true. From the SMS help on the web page:

You can exchange text messages of up to 160 characters with other
Sprint phones and major U.S. wireless carriers, as well as many
international wireless carriers.

And:

Sending SMS Text Messages to International Carriers

Sending International SMS Text Messages is similar to sending
standard SMS Text Messages. The only difference is when you enter
the mobile phone number. Rather than enter a standard 10-digit phone
number, you'll need to use this format:

011 + country code + wireless number

Example: 011 44 123456789

Oleg

--
oleg | The "From" address is temporary.
@ | <---- If expired, use this one.

Isaiah Beard wrote:

> Uhm, where the hell have you been? Not only has Sprint got "real" SMS,
> so far they seem to be the only carrier that offers unlimited SMS at the
> lowest price point ($5 for vision users, $10 without.. Cingular doesn't
> offer unlimited at ALL).

How are SMS messages defined or tracked for billing purposes?
Is it the section of the bill labeled "Other Usage"
Mine states:

WIRELESS WEB MESSAGES
Included: UNLIMITED
Used: 1853
Remaining: UNLIMITED

I have a four phone plan and have never been charged for a single
message yet. I have unlimited Vision on all of them and my plan is
before the true SMS (about 2.5 years ago) but two of my phones do
support real SMS and we use it all the time on all of the phones. If
this was included with the older plans, that is one more reason to not
switch. My kids average almost 2000 messages a month each.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:59:58 AM

nolife wrote:

> How are SMS messages defined or tracked for billing purposes?
> Is it the section of the bill labeled "Other Usage"
> Mine states:
>
> WIRELESS WEB MESSAGES
> Included: UNLIMITED
> Used: 1853
> Remaining: UNLIMITED

Yup, the section labeled "wireless web messages" is where SMS is tracked.

> I have a four phone plan and have never been charged for a single
> message yet. I have unlimited Vision on all of them and my plan is
> before the true SMS (about 2.5 years ago) but two of my phones do
> support real SMS and we use it all the time on all of the phones. If
> this was included with the older plans, that is one more reason to not
> switch. My kids average almost 2000 messages a month each.

Looks like you were grandfathered onto one of the older Vision plans
that had unlimited SMS included. I'd keep it for as long as you can. ;)
For everyone on the current vision plans, only 100 messages are
included; unlimited is a $5 add on ($10 if you don't subscribe to Vision).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.