lease expiring every minute

jr

Hi,

Networking is not my forte, so the answer may be
painfully obvious.....My connection to my wireless router
(any computer, whether via wireless or ethernet) is
dropping after a minute. I went and looked in the logs
in the base station management tool, and it looks like
this every time (with IP's masked to protect the
innocent :)):

"2004/05/30 07:11:44 DHCP Client : Obtained lease for
192.xx.xx.xx on 5/30/2004 7:11:41; lease expires on
5/30/2004 7:12:41 "

It appears my lease time is only one minute. Yet in the
base station management tool, I re-verified that I have
the lease time set to two weeks. Could it be my DSL
modem that is in front of my wireless router is the
problem?

Very frustrating as I can not download anything that
takes over a minute.....*sigh*

If you're not using WPA encryption, go into the Properties of your LAN in
Network Connections, on the Wireless Networks tab, highlight your LAN in the
Preferred networks box and select the Properties button. Go to the
Authentication tab and make sure you don't have a check mark in "Enable IEEE
802.1x authentication..."
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Networking is not my forte, so the answer may be
> painfully obvious.....My connection to my wireless router
> (any computer, whether via wireless or ethernet) is
> dropping after a minute. I went and looked in the logs
> in the base station management tool, and it looks like
> this every time (with IP's masked to protect the
> innocent :)):
>
> "2004/05/30 07:11:44 DHCP Client : Obtained lease for
> 192.xx.xx.xx on 5/30/2004 7:11:41; lease expires on
> 5/30/2004 7:12:41 "
>
> It appears my lease time is only one minute. Yet in the
> base station management tool, I re-verified that I have
> the lease time set to two weeks. Could it be my DSL
> modem that is in front of my wireless router is the
> problem?
>
> Very frustrating as I can not download anything that
> takes over a minute.....*sigh*

You should try a hard reset of the base station. Back to factory
defaults. Please post which base station and which viersion firmware
you are using.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 08:56:14 -0700, "JR"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Latest posts