Sign in with
Your question

Massive terrible changes after upgrading ram..

Tags:
  • RAM
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 28, 2012 6:07:43 AM

Hi , i'm new on this forum and i need help with my TrendSonic Computer , before all this happened , i was running windows xp 32 bit with all games and browsers smoothly with 512 mb ram only . Then when i went shopping i bought 4 gb ram ( 2x2 ) i ran it dual channel , at the same time , i updated to the latest Nvidia geforce driver , i'm running on a Nvidia GeForce 430 graphic card right now , now i'm running on windows 7 home premium , i've tried to change to windows xp , vista , 7 ultimate and etc but it all didn't help to cure the problem ... before it happened it could run any game at high fps , now it has low fps , my cpu usage stucks at 100% usage and super loud fan when nothing is running ... (before it happened i run high end games with NO noise .. it's very weird , what i've tried to fix it but didn't work was cleaning the cpu with compressed air , no dust or anything , and i've reformatted my com COUNTLESS times ... i can confirm it has nothing to do with malware or virus , i've tried to use my bro com's fan and linked it to my computer , so it has double fans , i used process explorer and many more programs but nothing .. i'm really pissed at my com now .. hope someone can help me (:

More about : massive terrible upgrading ram

a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2012 6:21:13 AM

did you buy ram that is compatible with your mobo and processor?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2012 6:23:46 AM

could be a few isues and there not connected. with your ram and your pc did you check to see if the ram was tested or qal for the mb in the pc. also what ram is in it now..the model number. you can use cpu-z to read your mb and ram info.
some ram will not work in all mb. a lot of vendor like crucial have online memory scanners that scan your system and give you the ram that should work. when you format a system with a new os you need all the drivers..sound..mb chipset..network cards.
did you install the mb chipset drivers so that the pci bus and the video card drivers are working fine?? if not the video card fan going to be stuck at 100 percent becuse the video drivers are not going to be able to reset the fan speed. if you do have the right pci chipset drivers try msi afterburner and a drive cleaner. the 301 drivers are buggy. go back to the older 29x drivers.
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2012 7:00:55 AM

so u suggest i go and install the 29x drivers right? btw when i click device manager , the only thing that has the caution thing is PCI Simple Communications Controller , i can't seem to find any driver of it on the internet and the update button that they give doesn't work .. what should i do? take out the ram and type whatever the model num etc there is on it? thanks in advance.
m
l
June 28, 2012 7:28:57 AM

Might be worth finding a bootable linux distro or something, the ones I've looked at in the past usually have memory checker on.

Does the task manager give any clues as to what is sucking up the cpu?
m
l
June 28, 2012 11:21:05 AM

womble said:
Might be worth finding a bootable linux distro or something, the ones I've looked at in the past usually have memory checker on.

Does the task manager give any clues as to what is sucking up the cpu?

Nope nothing at all ...
m
l
June 28, 2012 11:22:38 AM

tourist said:
Sounds to me you have more than one problem, go into bios and reset to default setting.
Then go back to your oem video driver.

For your pci controller read this.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/threa...

Any idea how i can 'reset to default in bios' and i'm running windows 7 32 bit home premium , there's only xp pro driver >.<
m
l
June 28, 2012 11:57:42 AM

Getting into the BIOS is usually done by hitting a key after switch on. Usually there is a message flashed up on screen very briefly 'hit x to enter setup'. Most often the 'del' key but some of the function keys are quite common, you have to be quite quick though usually!

Most BIOS's have a reset to default values which should be fairly safe. Most of it is reasonably understandable e.g. you'll probably see temperatures and stuff under pc health or hardware monitoring (usually the most accurate way to see idle temp).

By the way is the CPU pegged out under safe mode too?

Just wondering if your system vendor has some basic chipset drivers and stuff on their website. Bit difficult to guess what motherboard you have, downloading something like Speccy (free) may give you some details.
m
l
June 28, 2012 1:25:51 PM

womble said:
Getting into the BIOS is usually done by hitting a key after switch on. Usually there is a message flashed up on screen very briefly 'hit x to enter setup'. Most often the 'del' key but some of the function keys are quite common, you have to be quite quick though usually!

Most BIOS's have a reset to default values which should be fairly safe. Most of it is reasonably understandable e.g. you'll probably see temperatures and stuff under pc health or hardware monitoring (usually the most accurate way to see idle temp).

By the way is the CPU pegged out under safe mode too?

Just wondering if your system vendor has some basic chipset drivers and stuff on their website. Bit difficult to guess what motherboard you have, downloading something like Speccy (free) may give you some details.

Yes , i even ran the com with msconfig and chose the original boot and still the same , i'm running on a DP965 intel chipset , there is no windows 7 driver of it , even intel doesn't have it.. or could it be another problem?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2012 1:34:46 PM

What are your CPU (and GPU) temps idle and load? You can use HWmonitor.
m
l
June 28, 2012 2:02:39 PM

skaz said:
What are your CPU (and GPU) temps idle and load? You can use HWmonitor.

Now my com has nothing open for HWmonitor , the temperature for the HDD is 31-32 celcius , the graphics card tempp is 29 celcius and fans are 52% , and i noticed that when at night i turn on my aircond it runs better (less noisy) than afternoon without aircond .
m
l
June 28, 2012 2:12:46 PM

Had a quick look at the Intel download centre for chipset drivers and saw the DP965LT (includes a bunch of other boards). All 32/64 bit drivers for Windows 7/Vista and just about everything.

It might not be the problem at all, but might be worth a try (the net isn't 100% clear what the PCI Simple Controller message is, I'm thinking along the lines of maybe it could be something like a chipset level serial link...and no one likes exclamation marks in their device listing even if they're harmless).

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...*&DownloadType=Drivers

Googling about I've read that this message may have something to do with the Intel Management Engine driver (DP965 is in there) XP and Vista are covered so you should be ok.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...

Hopefully nothing horrid there to bork things up:) 
m
l
June 28, 2012 2:13:38 PM

I'm using 4(2x2) ddr2 ram , my com is ddr2 so i bought ddr2 , i'm using the same ones which is PC2-6400 (400 MHZ ) Kingston 1.80V , my mb is a DP965LT , is it compatible?
m
l
June 28, 2012 2:19:49 PM

womble said:
Had a quick look at the Intel download centre for chipset drivers and saw the DP965LT (includes a bunch of other boards). All 32/64 bit drivers for Windows 7/Vista and just about everything.

It might not be the problem at all, but might be worth a try (the net isn't 100% clear what the PCI Simple Controller message is, I'm thinking along the lines of maybe it could be something like a chipset level serial link...and no one likes exclamation marks in their device listing even if they're harmless).

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...*&DownloadType=Drivers

Googling about I've read that this message may have something to do with the Intel Management Engine driver (DP965 is in there) XP and Vista are covered so you should be ok.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...

Hopefully nothing horrid there to bork things up:) 

The second link says operating system not supported , and i think the first one worked.
m
l
June 28, 2012 2:26:10 PM

Upgrading your RAM would not create the issues you describe - even if you used RAM that was not qualified for your motherboard. You can probably confirm this by removing the new RAM and reinstalling the old RAM. I'll bet the problem will still persist.

I can think of a few possibilities:

1. Some motherboards (very few) require that DIMM slot 1 be populated in order for certain components to work. This is usually only related to management controllers like AMT/vPRO, but it could be possible that your fan controller requires this. If your MB has 4 DIMM slots, make sure you have one DIMM in slot 1 (or 0, or whatever is the lowest numbered slot).

2. This is more likely in my opinion. I would guess that when you installed the RAM you might have bumped the pushpins on the CPU cooler and it is not fully seated. Make sure the CPU heatsink is fully secured with all 4 pushpins. This would explain the fan speed as well as the poor performance.

3. Many motherboards have the option to enable or disable fan speed control in the BIOS. Is it possible that you have disabled your motherboard's fan speed controller in the BIOS? This would explain the fan speed issue, but not the poor performance.

Good luck

--Russel
m
l
June 28, 2012 2:26:30 PM

How do you tell if you already have a chipset driver or not?
m
l
June 28, 2012 2:30:30 PM

As I understand it the issue appears to be that the CPU is constantly under heavy load, which results in the CPU Fan working very hard and getting quite noisy and games and general performance being sluggish. I don't see how this could be a ram problem.

The issue seems to be complicated because andyxeon also changed his operating system at the same time and it isn't clear how he made that upgrade. I suspect he simply upgraded his Windows XP installation.

My personal suspicion is that the storage drivers are either corrupt or were installed in the wrong mode and are thus eating up lots of cpu cycles.

I would recommend starting with a clean install of Windows 7 or even Windows XP if you prefer with just the most basic drivers and test from there.
m
l
June 28, 2012 2:34:15 PM

rusabus said:
Upgrading your RAM would not create the issues you describe - even if you used RAM that was not qualified for your motherboard. You can probably confirm this by removing the new RAM and reinstalling the old RAM. I'll bet the problem will still persist.

I can think of a few possibilities:

1. Some motherboards (very few) require that DIMM slot 1 be populated in order for certain components to work. This is usually only related to management controllers like AMT/vPRO, but it could be possible that your fan controller requires this. If your MB has 4 DIMM slots, make sure you have one DIMM in slot 1 (or 0, or whatever is the lowest numbered slot).

2. This is more likely in my opinion. I would guess that when you installed the RAM you might have bumped the pushpins on the CPU cooler and it is not fully seated. Make sure the CPU heatsink is fully secured with all 4 pushpins. This would explain the fan speed as well as the poor performance.

3. Many motherboards have the option to enable or disable fan speed control in the BIOS. Is it possible that you have disabled your motherboard's fan speed controller in the BIOS? This would explain the fan speed issue, but not the poor performance.

Good luck

--Russel

The only thing that is disabled in the fan category is Automatic Fan Detection , is that the cause?
m
l
June 28, 2012 2:50:59 PM

lesterf1020 said:
As I understand it the issue appears to be that the CPU is constantly under heavy load, which results in the CPU Fan working very hard and getting quite noisy and games and general performance being sluggish. I don't see how this could be a ram problem.

The issue seems to be complicated because andyxeon also changed his operating system at the same time and it isn't clear how he made that upgrade. I suspect he simply upgraded his Windows XP installation.

My personal suspicion is that the storage drivers are either corrupt or were installed in the wrong mode and are thus eating up lots of cpu cycles.

I would recommend starting with a clean install of Windows 7 or even Windows XP if you prefer with just the most basic drivers and test from there.

I have like 2 WINDOWS folders because i installed many windows to try to fix the problem , will that be the cause?
m
l
June 28, 2012 5:33:39 PM

andyxeon said:
The only thing that is disabled in the fan category is Automatic Fan Detection , is that the cause?

Many motherboards have a setting similar to this. Typically when you enable this setting, the machine spins up the fans to full speed during POST to detect their presence and then slows them down to balance noise vs. cooling. I would enable this setting. However, if you enable it, don't be surprised if it automatically disables itself after one boot because the system will have a profile of all the attached fans and may not need to re-detect them.

As far as storage and chipset drivers go, your motherboard is a pretty standard motherboard. Windows 7 has built-in drivers that support almost all the features. The one obvious exception is your simple PCI controller - which is probably just the built-in Intel management device. I believe an earlier poster pointed you to the correct download, but if not, just google "Intel Management Engine Driver Windows 7."

Have you checked that your CPU cooler is properly seated? I'm still betting that is the source of the problem.

--Russel
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2012 8:10:26 PM

andyxeon said:
Now my com has nothing open for HWmonitor , the temperature for the HDD is 31-32 celcius , the graphics card tempp is 29 celcius and fans are 52% , and i noticed that when at night i turn on my aircond it runs better (less noisy) than afternoon without aircond .

Not sure what you mean by your com has nothing open in hwmonitor. Are your cpu temps not showing? In your BIOS do you have pwm controls enabled? This will enable the cpu fan to be automatically controlled speed wise based on the cpu temps. Wondering if you have a temp sensor issue with your cpu. Like others have recomended I'm sure, make sure all drivers for your motherboard are updated.

Also check for BIOS updates.
m
l
June 29, 2012 3:49:42 AM

andyxeon said:

When you run hwmonitor in Windows 7 you need to right-click on it and click "run as administrator." That will usually allow hwmonitor to detect CPU temperature and other sensor values.

--Russel
m
l
June 29, 2012 4:19:16 AM

skaz said:
Not sure what you mean by your com has nothing open in hwmonitor. Are your cpu temps not showing? In your BIOS do you have pwm controls enabled? This will enable the cpu fan to be automatically controlled speed wise based on the cpu temps. Wondering if you have a temp sensor issue with your cpu. Like others have recomended I'm sure, make sure all drivers for your motherboard are updated.

Also check for BIOS updates.

Sorry for my bad english , uhm what i mean is , the only program that is opened is HWmonitor (:
m
l
June 29, 2012 4:22:52 AM

It looks like you're still not getting CPU temperatures. The stats on your video card and HDD are not pointing to any problems. I see you've also got core temp installed. Can you get any CPU temperatures off of that?

--Russel
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:07:20 AM

rusabus said:
It looks like you're still not getting CPU temperatures. The stats on your video card and HDD are not pointing to any problems. I see you've also got core temp installed. Can you get any CPU temperatures off of that?

--Russel

am i missing something? o.o btw here is the core temp , hwmonitor , cpu-z http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/xFading/temp1....
m
l
June 29, 2012 2:11:10 PM

andyxeon said:
am i missing something? o.o btw here is the core temp , hwmonitor , cpu-z http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/xFading/temp1....

None of those screenshots show your CPU's temperature.

andyxeon said:
there's nothing hogging my cpu right? and i'm on selective startup (original boot) , heres the picture of process explorer , theres nothing wrong >< http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/xFading/Untitl...

You are correct - there is no load on your CPU.

Have you checked the heatsink yet? Also, did changing that BIOS fan detection setting to automatic help anything?

Also, when you reinstalled Windows, what type of install media did you get? If it was something downloaded from the Internet, I'd suggest downloading this:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495....

That is a 90-day trial of Windows 7 Enterprise from Microsoft. If you downloaded a copy of Windows from a less-than-reputable site, you may still have another issue. The thing is, with your motherboard, Windows has all the drivers you need built-in (at least for basic functionality). A clean install of Windows should not be having the problems you describe unless you are having some other hardware issue.

--Russel
m
l
June 30, 2012 6:14:58 AM

rusabus said:
None of those screenshots show your CPU's temperature.

You are correct - there is no load on your CPU.

Have you checked the heatsink yet? Also, did changing that BIOS fan detection setting to automatic help anything?

Also, when you reinstalled Windows, what type of install media did you get? If it was something downloaded from the Internet, I'd suggest downloading this:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495....

That is a 90-day trial of Windows 7 Enterprise from Microsoft. If you downloaded a copy of Windows from a less-than-reputable site, you may still have another issue. The thing is, with your motherboard, Windows has all the drivers you need built-in (at least for basic functionality). A clean install of Windows should not be having the problems you describe unless you are having some other hardware issue.

--Russel

My cpu usage is sometimes stuck at 100% and my fan is noisy , i set the automatic fan detection to always but it didn't help , i downloaded the windows 7 home premium 32 bit in piratebay torrent , it has a lot of seeds and the comments were all positive , i still have 1 more vista WINDOWS folder in my D drive , my windows 7(currently using) is in C drive , i cant seem to delete the vista WINDOWS file using disk cleanup(system files) , is that the cause? how do you check the heatsink? the 4 pushpins is in place btw ~
m
l
June 30, 2012 7:23:54 AM

andyxeon said:
My cpu usage is sometimes stuck at 100% and my fan is noisy , i set the automatic fan detection to always but it didn't help , i downloaded the windows 7 home premium 32 bit in piratebay torrent , it has a lot of seeds and the comments were all positive , i still have 1 more vista WINDOWS folder in my D drive , my windows 7(currently using) is in C drive , i cant seem to delete the vista WINDOWS file using disk cleanup(system files) , is that the cause? how do you check the heatsink? the 4 pushpins is in place btw ~

If the 4 pushpins are in place and your CPU heatsink feels solidly attached to the motherboard, then that probably isn't the problem. You could still have dried-out thermal paste, but that would appear as a problem gradually, and not immediately after upgrading your OS.

If your CPU usage is sometimes stuck at 100%, that is a problem. With a pirated copy of Windows you have no guarantees. You could have a rootkit or some form of sophisticated malware on the install CD you downloaded. It is even possible that a sophisticated piece of malware is using your CPU without showing any usage in the Windows task manager.

I would try the legitimate download from Microsoft and do a clean install, not an upgrade. It would completely erase your hard drive and let you start clean, so make sure you backup your documents first. Or, if you have a spare hard drive, install that in your computer and disconnect your current hard drive. Then you can do a clean install from the download I posted earlier (at least as a test). Your computer should work quite well even without any drivers installed, which would narrow the problem down between software and hardware.

--Russel
m
l
June 30, 2012 9:47:33 AM

rusabus said:
If the 4 pushpins are in place and your CPU heatsink feels solidly attached to the motherboard, then that probably isn't the problem. You could still have dried-out thermal paste, but that would appear as a problem gradually, and not immediately after upgrading your OS.

If your CPU usage is sometimes stuck at 100%, that is a problem. With a pirated copy of Windows you have no guarantees. You could have a rootkit or some form of sophisticated malware on the install CD you downloaded. It is even possible that a sophisticated piece of malware is using your CPU without showing any usage in the Windows task manager.

I would try the legitimate download from Microsoft and do a clean install, not an upgrade. It would completely erase your hard drive and let you start clean, so make sure you backup your documents first. Or, if you have a spare hard drive, install that in your computer and disconnect your current hard drive. Then you can do a clean install from the download I posted earlier (at least as a test). Your computer should work quite well even without any drivers installed, which would narrow the problem down between software and hardware.

--Russel

i used antivirus software and advanced systemcare full version to clean up everything , and i noticed my computer performs a lot better (less noisy too) when i have my aircond on ...
m
l
!