heeeeelp....my pc is dead

jackisht

Distinguished
May 8, 2003
have a p3 450 mhz with 128 ram.(pc 100). someone gave me a free stick of 128 (pc 133) ram. i unplugged my machine(dont want to mess with 110v raw!) intstalled the goods, plugged in and................nothing. my pc will not boot up. i didnt realize the ram was pc 133 until i took a closer look(bad labeling). so i pulled the stuff out(the ram) then tried re booting. still........nothing. i tried repositioning the ram(that was already in there)....still, nothing. so im scared now...i have too much great stuff to lose(like important info, yeah im quite dumb for not backing up). some have told me that i mightve fried my motherboard with static(i did the job on my carpet in my office....a quick fix. some have said that my bio's is confused and is lost and i have to reset it. when i cut the box on i hear the fans reel up....i hear the hard drive 'think' for about 10 seconds but no signal is coming to the monitor(i dont get the "monitor not connected" msg though).....but it stays in this state forever. HEEEEELLLP!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't know jackisht then!
Your board is PC133 compatable. All PII/PIII boards that use SDRAM are. Read the memory FAQ, it's explained there.

You might have got some ultra dense memory that wouldn't read at the proper size if it only has 4 chips, but other than that it should work.

Your friend could have also given you a bad stick.

Chances are you didn't push the stick in all the way. Or you bumped your video card loose. At any rate, if you can't figure out something this simple, you should take the system to a technician.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
And just so you don't yell at me I still haven't checked to see what exaxt socekt 7 boards that I have. I haven't had the time. This week has been crazy. Well actually I could have made the time but I failed to do so. Sorry, my wife and daughter had higher stots on the priority list.

:frown:

<A HREF="http://www.millionmanlan.com/MMLDefault.asp" target="_new">Million Man LAN 2 is June 25-29, 2003 in Louisville Kentucky... Be there!</A>

JAGedlion

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
all my problems i have ever had with old (not 386 old, like p2 old) computers seem to sort themselves out when I clear cmos, I wonder what the hell people keep doing to them.