Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Home Networking options

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 9, 2013 12:00:38 PM

Hello,

I am in the market for a new router and wondering what options that I have. Below is the components that I
have in my home network:

The router is in the second floor. The family room tv is in the first floor and the basement tv is in the basement. I want to know what is the best wireless/wired router that I should look for.

Currently some of the components are wired as shown in the diagram. I dont get a good bandwidth even in the wired options. I am wondering is it because of the cable or the router/switch or is it because of the distance? For example, the desktop next to the router shows speed of 1.0 G but the wired network in the basement shows 10 mbps.

I understand the wired is always better in speed than wireless but do I really need to be wired? I use xbox to stream movies mostly. Not really into gaming. I also use a Roku player in the family room to stream movies. This is also currently wired. In both cases wireless is an option. But the question that I have is if the top of the line wireless (600N) is good enough for my purpose or should I be looking into wired option?

I hope my questions make sense. thanks for your help.

Best solution

March 9, 2013 12:17:19 PM

Wireless is sufficient if wireless is sufficient. As long as you're getting the performance you need from whatever technology you're using (e.g., no buffering on videos over wireless), that's all that matters.

I have no idea why you would be getting such poor wired performance. Something is definitely wrong if you can't do better than 10Mbps over wire w/ a modern router/switch. Not unless you have some very old, 10baseT device dating back to circa 2003 or earlier. Ethernet cable is good (at least theoretically) up to 100m unamplified, and I doubt ppl would even exceed 33m in most cases.
March 9, 2013 8:14:23 PM

eibgrad said:
Wireless is sufficient if wireless is sufficient. As long as you're getting the performance you need from whatever technology you're using (e.g., no buffering on videos over wireless), that's all that matters.

I have no idea why you would be getting such poor wired performance. Something is definitely wrong if you can't do better than 10Mbps over wire w/ a modern router/switch. Not unless you have some very old, 10baseT device dating back to circa 2003 or earlier. Ethernet cable is good (at least theoretically) up to 100m unamplified, and I doubt ppl would even exceed 33m in most cases.

Thank you for the response. I went back and checked node by node and realized the ethernet switch is the problem. I was getting 100 Mbps until the switch but i was only getting 10 mpbs coming out of the switch. I restarted the switch and now I am getting 100 Mbps.

While testing I noticed that my desktop next to the router gets 1.0 gpbs while I use the same cable to hookup the laptop, I see only 100 Mbps on the laptop. Is the speed determined by the capacity of networking card on the dektop/laptop?
m
l
March 9, 2013 11:45:15 PM

In order to have Gigabit speeds, EVERYTHING in the chain has to be Gigabit; the switches, the network adapters, etc. Your laptop is probably only 10/100Mbps.
m
l
!