Idea Recorder

Last response: in Home Audio
April 8, 2005 8:31:03 PM

Hi.
I'm in need of an idea recorder........that is to say quality needs to
be decent enough, but not stellar on any level. I work long distance
style with another fella and need to send ideas back and forth via email.

Mono is fine. I really want the ability to connect to my 'puter via USB.
Are there any "voice recorders" that sound decent enough for acoustic
guitar and vocal sketches? Do any of them record using mp3 format?

Is there anything out there a step up from the "no-name" flash voice
recorders and a few steps cheaper than the Edirol R-1?

Many Thanks............

More about : idea recorder

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 8:31:04 PM

e.maynard <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Is there anything out there a step up from the "no-name" flash voice
>recorders and a few steps cheaper than the Edirol R-1?

I think Zoom makes a thing that does just what you want.
--scott
April 8, 2005 8:36:07 PM

e.maynard wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm in need of an idea recorder........that is to say quality needs to
> be decent enough, but not stellar on any level. I work long distance
> style with another fella and need to send ideas back and forth via
> email.
>
> Mono is fine. I really want the ability to connect to my 'puter via
> USB. Are there any "voice recorders" that sound decent enough for
> acoustic guitar and vocal sketches? Do any of them record using mp3
> format?
>
> Is there anything out there a step up from the "no-name" flash voice
> recorders and a few steps cheaper than the Edirol R-1?
>

> Many Thanks............

Why not just buy a cheap mixer/preamp, a condendser room mic and record to
your PC? Or do you want portability?

--
tj hertz
Related resources

On 4/8/2005 11:36 AM, TJ Hertz wrote:
> e.maynard wrote:
>
>>Hi.
>>I'm in need of an idea recorder........that is to say quality needs to
>>be decent enough, but not stellar on any level. I work long distance
>>style with another fella and need to send ideas back and forth via
>>email.
>>
>>Mono is fine. I really want the ability to connect to my 'puter via
>>USB. Are there any "voice recorders" that sound decent enough for
>>acoustic guitar and vocal sketches? Do any of them record using mp3
>>format?
>>
>>Is there anything out there a step up from the "no-name" flash voice
>>recorders and a few steps cheaper than the Edirol R-1?
>>

>>Many Thanks............
>

> Why not just buy a cheap mixer/preamp, a condendser room mic and record to
> your PC? Or do you want portability?
>
> --
> tj hertz

Well you could get a cheap flash based MP3 player like iRiver. I know
the iRiver's have a built in mic and record to MP3.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:00:59 PM

Yes Portability would be very nice.
The zoom unit is pretty nice (for what it is). I certainly don't need a
4 track, but that's the right idea.

You know, it's funny. I started out 20 or so years ago with a portable
cassette recorder and wrote more music than ever. Then I got a Tascam
246, then an Akai 1214.......and now that I run a "real studio" with a
Radar II, a nice console, the whole bit, you know what?........I'm
seriously looking for a cheap toy to put ideas down.

Full Circle.

TJ Hertz wrote:
> e.maynard wrote:
>
>>Hi.
>>I'm in need of an idea recorder........that is to say quality needs to
>>be decent enough, but not stellar on any level. I work long distance
>>style with another fella and need to send ideas back and forth via
>>email.
>>
>>Mono is fine. I really want the ability to connect to my 'puter via
>>USB. Are there any "voice recorders" that sound decent enough for
>>acoustic guitar and vocal sketches? Do any of them record using mp3
>>format?
>>
>>Is there anything out there a step up from the "no-name" flash voice
>>recorders and a few steps cheaper than the Edirol R-1?
>>

>>Many Thanks............
>

> Why not just buy a cheap mixer/preamp, a condendser room mic and record to
> your PC? Or do you want portability?
>
> --
> tj hertz

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:37:28 PM

e.maynard wrote:
> Yes Portability would be very nice.
> The zoom unit is pretty nice (for what it is). I certainly don't need
> a 4 track, but that's the right idea.
>
> You know, it's funny. I started out 20 or so years ago with a portable
> cassette recorder and wrote more music than ever. Then I got a Tascam
> 246, then an Akai 1214.......and now that I run a "real studio" with a
> Radar II, a nice console, the whole bit, you know what?........I'm
> seriously looking for a cheap toy to put ideas down.
>
> Full Circle.

Hehe.

What about a portable minidisc/MP3 player/recorder and a battery-powered
condenser? A lot of the units can transfer tracks to PC by USB.

--
tj hertz
Anonymous

On 4/8/05 1:37 PM, in article
sjz5e.55715$Nr5.21014@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk, "TJ Hertz"
<tjhertz@gmail-HOLDTHESPAM.com> wrote:

There's all these FLASH recorders....
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 11:05:48 PM

Do all of those Flash recorders record to .mp3 format? The Zoom unit
records to a proprietary .aud format, which makes transfer to a mac
tough at best.
I'm really looking for a one step transfer process of "decent sounding"
sketches. Just to email them to a long distance band mate.

SSJVCmag wrote:
> On 4/8/05 1:37 PM, in article
> sjz5e.55715$Nr5.21014@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk, "TJ Hertz"
> <tjhertz@gmail-HOLDTHESPAM.com> wrote:
>

> There's all these FLASH recorders....

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 3:07:55 AM

e.maynard wrote:
> Do all of those Flash recorders record to .mp3 format? The Zoom unit
> records to a proprietary .aud format, which makes transfer to a mac
> tough at best.
> I'm really looking for a one step transfer process of "decent sounding"
> sketches. Just to email them to a long distance band mate.

First, let me tell you my gripe with this Zoom PS4, I wanted a unit to
take along with me on car overnight (and longer) trips where I could
take a guitar or a bass with me.

Maybe for a guy that owns a studio like you this won't be a problem, but
for me it was, this unit does so many things and has so few buttons that
everything is buried inside menus, so I had to have the manual with me
in order to do anything more complicated than a simple recording or a
play along with one of the drum patterns. (this might go away with time)

My second gripe is that the thing sounds good with a guitar, but it took
me a while to make the bass sound good on it, and I could only do that
by using (I think) one of the mastering effects, the bass presets where
all very low volume.

Third gripe, the faders are very flimsy, you have to be lucky to get
them properly lined up.(for a stereo recording)

Having said all that, there is a very nice OS X software on Zoom's site
that you can use to see, edit, import takes from wav and aiff and export
takes or a mix to aiff. It does make the task of managing the 10 virtual
tracks each of the 4 track has easier.

It is a very cool unit, but for me sometimes the technical side of
things can get in the way of a good idea, my suggestion, buy it from a
place that has a nice return policy, try it out very hard and if in the
end you don't like it, just send it back.

BTW, Korg makes a similar gadget called PXr4, but I don't know much
about it regarding software, etc...

If you do get the Zoom, get a 128 mb card and a card reader, you need
the reader in order to use the software.

Hope that helps.
April 13, 2005 12:14:41 AM

> Hi.
> I'm in need of an idea recorder........that is to say quality needs to
> be decent enough, but not stellar on any level. I work long distance
> style with another fella and need to send ideas back and forth via email.
>
> Mono is fine. I really want the ability to connect to my 'puter via USB.
> Are there any "voice recorders" that sound decent enough for acoustic
> guitar and vocal sketches? Do any of them record using mp3 format?
>
> Is there anything out there a step up from the "no-name" flash voice
> recorders and a few steps cheaper than the Edirol R-1?
>

> Many Thanks............

I've been using a minidisc until with those 'binaural' mini-mics and a
nine-volt battery pack that have a 1/8 jack plugged into the line-in. I
started with an older unit and I had to transfer things 'real-time' to the
computer, but their new ones let you transfer it like a portable hard-drive
or digi-cam.

Each disc gives you 74minutes and are reusable although after a few years
I've found they can develop errors. (and the new ones have a slightly
higher capacity)
!