boards similar to Soundcraft 200/Delta series?

Last response: in Home Audio
April 8, 2005 10:36:12 PM

Hi,

Been shopping for a 16-24 input/4 subgroup analogue board to use as a Pro Tools (002R) front end
and for occasional live work (small band).

I have had my eye on the Soundcraft Delta DLX (or a Delta 8 if I ever came across one!),
especially after learning the ropes on a 200 series long ago.

I am wondering what is in the similar price/quality range for small 4 subgroup boards?

A&H GL2* series or GS3? Midas Venice? curious to know what else people are using. I am not
so interested in the Mackies, Behringers, etc. Other Soundcraft boards maybe too?

I am also looking for something more spacious in layout than the 16 channel boards in the 19"
rack-mount format (FX16, MixWizard, etc).

thanx
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 11:03:05 PM

I'd look at the Soundcraft LX7 II or the new GB4. They are on the
Soundcraft site. The Midas sounds nice but has some quality issues (less
than sturdy faders, lights that aren't precise enough to know what's going
on during the day, etc.). Don't get me wrong, a Midas for that price is
pretty good, but then a Soundcraft at the LX7 II price is pretty darned good
too.

However, you really need to make a decision and get what you really want the
board for. Live boards don't do recordings in the typical sense, and studio
boards aren't really all that adept at doing live sound. Dual use boards
like the GB4 aren't dual use in recording/live, but rather FOH/Monitor, so
you need to really set up a matrix with your requirements and then figure
out which gives you the most pros and least cons for what you want to do
most.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"Christopher Albin Edmonds" <cedmonds@Stanford.EDU> wrote in message
news:D 36ius$9i7$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
> Hi,
>
> Been shopping for a 16-24 input/4 subgroup analogue board to use as a Pro
Tools (002R) front end
> and for occasional live work (small band).
>
> I have had my eye on the Soundcraft Delta DLX (or a Delta 8 if I ever came
across one!),
> especially after learning the ropes on a 200 series long ago.
>
> I am wondering what is in the similar price/quality range for small 4
subgroup boards?

> A&H GL2* series or GS3? Midas Venice? curious to know what else people are
using. I am not
> so interested in the Mackies, Behringers, etc. Other Soundcraft boards
maybe too?

> I am also looking for something more spacious in layout than the 16
channel boards in the 19"
> rack-mount format (FX16, MixWizard, etc).
>
> thanx
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:18:01 PM

"Christopher Albin Edmonds" <cedmonds@Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> I have had my eye on the Soundcraft Delta DLX (or a Delta 8 if I ever
> came across one!), especially after learning the ropes on a 200
> series long ago.
>
> I am wondering what is in the similar price/quality range for small
> 4 subgroup boards?

Beats me. I have an 8/4/2 Delta and have been trying to buy a 16/4/2
without success. Everything else I look at involves compromises I'm not
prepared to make... one has no EQ bypass switch on the strips, another
puts the phantom power switches on the bottom, another uses 60mm "baby"
faders, another has good features, form-factor and price but sounds like
kaka and falls apart if moved... and so it goes.

I'd be thrilled if Soundcraft quit making Spirit boards and starting
making Deltas again instead!

The Crest rackmount is the closest match I've found so far. There are
still some compromises, but at least you get a well-designed mixer that
sounds good.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
April 11, 2005 10:09:06 PM

> I'd be thrilled if Soundcraft quit making Spirit boards and starting
> making Deltas again instead!

You can still order a Delta DLX.

Start saving up...

JP
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 5:09:13 PM

"JP Gerard" <jpgerard@skynet.be> wrote:

> You can still order a Delta DLX.

Are you sure about that?

> Start saving up...

Damn, I don't even want to think about what they must cost new...

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:56:45 AM

Christopher Albin Edmonds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Been shopping for a 16-24 input/4 subgroup analogue board to use as a
Pro Tools (002R) front end
> and for occasional live work (small band).
>
> I have had my eye on the Soundcraft Delta DLX (or a Delta 8 if I ever
came across one!),
> especially after learning the ropes on a 200 series long ago.
>
> I am wondering what is in the similar price/quality range for small 4
subgroup boards?

> A&H GL2* series or GS3? Midas Venice? curious to know what else
people are using. I am not
> so interested in the Mackies, Behringers, etc. Other Soundcraft
boards maybe too?

> I am also looking for something more spacious in layout than the 16
channel boards in the 19"
> rack-mount format (FX16, MixWizard, etc).
>
> thanx

The soundcraft Venue is about the same as the Delta. If you want a
larger console with 16 or 24 busses look into a used 6000. One 36x24
precently went for $1000. The other makes won't offer the -90 db
crosstalk. Tough to beat that.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:32:34 AM

Christopher Albin Edmonds <cedmonds@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Hi,

> Been shopping for a 16-24 input/4 subgroup analogue board to use as a Pro Tools (002R) front end
> and for occasional live work (small band).

> I have had my eye on the Soundcraft Delta DLX (or a Delta 8 if I ever came across one!),
> especially after learning the ropes on a 200 series long ago.

> I am wondering what is in the similar price/quality range for small 4 subgroup boards?

> A&H GL2* series or GS3? Midas Venice? curious to know what else people are using. I am not
> so interested in the Mackies, Behringers, etc. Other Soundcraft boards maybe too?

> I am also looking for something more spacious in layout than the 16 channel boards in the 19"
> rack-mount format (FX16, MixWizard, etc).

> thanx

thanks for all the replies

got a good deal ($300) on a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 channel, going to use it for a bit and see if I like it.
!