Pro Logic vs. Pro Logic II?

kobe8

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I havent been able to find out ANYTHING about how these two stack up, is Pro Logic II as big of a quality jump from CMSS to CMSS2, or is it just a gimmick? (not much different from Pro Logic).

People keep saying how PL2 will screw up stereo imaging; my question is, does it mess with the signal as well? I find with stereox2 unless I line up my front right/left speakers perfectly the sound stage seems like the music (volume wise) favors one side, whereas with PL2's center channel blaring, it doesnt matter if you have all your speakers perfectly lined up because the main sound (vocals) are perfectly lined up.

CatMan

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
dunno if this helps, but i heard that pro logic 2 is suppose to take any signal and make it surround sound, like normal tv or something like that. i have it on my reciever for my surround sound and it seems to be pretty good.

My computer is so powerful, it can complete a simple math equation in only 3 and half days! :lol:

Mortallus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
Pro-Logic takes any stereo signal and turns it into a 4 channel output. Right, Left, Center, and Surround. The surround output is mono (the major limiting factor of PL), the center channel being utilized primarily for dialogue in movies.

Pro-Logic II is a variation and upgrade on the concept. It was released after the Dolby Digital 5.1 standard, so it was made to be more compatible with the 5.1 home theatre systems which were gaining popularity at the time. By using various phase shifts and decible adjustments, as well as better matrixing in the rears, Dolby PL II generally tends to produce a more pleasureable listening experience than Pro-Logic, which is mostly obsolete at this point.

If you're really interested in learning more about the differences/advantages/disadvantages, you can go straight to the horse's mouth at <A HREF="http://www.dolby.com/tech/" target="_new">http://www.dolby.com/tech/</A>.

CatMan

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
exaclty what i meant :lol: :tongue:

My computer is so powerful, it can complete a simple math equation in only 3 and half days! :lol: