500Ft Exstinding internet possible

LOA5000

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
I got a Huge problem here and i need help. I got a few options
I am moving to a new house and want internet that will handle 4 cunputers playing battlefield 3 with no lag or anything like that.

Anyways my neighbor the next house on the other side of my lawn has Time Warner Cable and he can get the 50mb Down and 5mb Up for 75 dollars a month. I have to stick with mid hudson cable because i am in there servise land. And they have a contract with time warner. So they wont servise me just because of the contract even know i am rite there!

So here are my options

Ping should be around 9. My friend has mid hudson and he gets 9 ping.

Mid Hudson Cable Internet Plans

Residental
15mb DownLoad
500 Kbps Upload
83 Dollars per month

Standard
•Upstream is 384 Kbps
•Downstream is 10 MB
$89.95 per month

Bronze
•Upstream is 768Kb
•Downstream is 10 MB
$109.00 per month

Silver
•Upstream is 1 MB
•Downstream is 15 MB
$139.95 per month

Gold
•Upstream is 1.5 MB
•Downstream is 20 MB
$199.95 per month

Platinum
•Upstream is 2 MB
•Downstream is 20 MB
$249.95 per month

Docsis
•Upstream is 2 MB
•Downstream is 50 MB
$399.95 per month

Or my other option is to ask my nieghbor to set up anther line with the 50mb. Run the coaxcable under the ground to my house. Would be about 500ft. Would i lose allot of ping or anything?

remixedcat

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Are you allowed to run the cable? If you rent, most of the time you won't be able to.

If you are you may be able to do it, however you would have to dig and bury it with some conduit to protect it and it would be kinda pricey and a pain to do so.

What router do both of you have? If you have one that allows you to replace the antennas you can get the following:
http://www.ampedwireless.com/family/outdoorantennas.html

and those have a range of 1 mile since they are high gain. Look for SMA connectors on both routers.

If they do not have those the router would have to be replaced or you may look into getting a range extender or an access point with one of those connectors.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I assume what you propose is having your neighbor buy a second account pretending it is in his house and your reimburse him for it. This is in the grey area but since time warner is getting their money they would likely look the other way even though they can't sell to you.

You would need to run RG11 coax to even have a chance but it is hard to say if it will work at those distances. Many times you need a powered amplifier. You may need to find a cable company installer that will work under the table to help you.

You other option would be to place the second modem in the neighbors house and then use another method to get it to your house. Best would be a fiber cable...it used to be very expensive but you could get 500ft for a couple hundred.

You could also use wireless as mentioned in the above post but using external antenna on routers is the old way to do this. The more modern way is place the electronics inside the antenna enclosure and connect via PoE ethernet. This resolves the issue of loss of signal in the cable between the antenna and the router. Ubiquiti air grid is one of the more popular solution for home type users.
Now if you have one of those evil home owners associations they will nix any plan for outdoor antenna.

LOA5000

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
I will own the buelding. Its actauly 200ft from my house to his so i could pull it off with a 300ft long cable. I was hoping to have the modem set up in my house that way if it needs to be reset or something i can just haddle it my self. Is the ethernet better for 300ft tho? i dont want to lose my ping and stuff. Also yes i would have him setup a second account like you say.
I also wonder what the chances of my neighbor letting me do all this..

If i cant do this what is the best plan to go with that i listed above? that will handle 4 cunputers at once playing games..

300ft you can use copper ethernet cable...you would need to protect it somewhat if you bury it, i use that cheap drip irrigation tubing they sell at home depot to keep it dry. They do sell direct bury cable and if you are careful you could bury it just a couple of inches. You should be able to get gig speeds with no loss at all.....technically you could get 10g if you used cat 7 cable and there was a magic cable modem with a 10g interface in it.

Putting the modem in his house and running ethernet cable I can almost guarantee will work. Running coax to your house is a unknown. Without the cable company assistance you really can't find out how much cable they have already run or if you are at or near a distance limit. To have the modem in your house you would be required to run coax you cannot run the signal used on the coax cable over ethernet. If you want to go this way you would just have to gamble and buy the coax and see if it works...of course I would test it before I went to the trouble to bury it.

If I were you I would just offer to pay the whole cost of your connection plus part of his for helping you out. Unlike people who try to share a internet connection you are not really stealing anything...you are just buying service from a vendor who is not authorized to serve you.

LOA5000

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
What you think do the cat7 cable or go with the coax cable and try that? I an worried about the coaxial not handling the signal as well at that distance. I don't want to lose ping and packets ans stuff. I wonder how often the router might need to be reset it something..

You MUST go with coax. To over simplify..the signal coming from cable company is a form of television transmission it is not your standard etherent that can run over twisted pair cable.

The cable company only delivers coax and the only real reason you have a cable modem is to convert it from this cable standard to the ethernet computers use.

The problem you have is the cable company will deliver a feed to your neighbors house and test it to a modem there. Now after they leave you remove the modem add a couple hundred feet of coax cable and put the modem on your end. Will it work, who knows. You would have to have equipment to test the signal levels at the point you splice it at your neighbors house and determine if it is strong enough to reach your house.

Cat7 cable was mostly a joke. You can get by with cat5e cable since you are going to run 1g or less. Putting the modem at his house and using ethernet cable is pretty much the only option I am sure will work.

If you have some way to get the signal levels and the distances of the coax cables coming to your neighbors house maybe someone on this forum has installed cable before and could tell you. I know that RG6 coax loses 6db/hundred feet and RG11 loses 4db/hundred feed but I don't know how much db loss total the cable modem will tolerate. I suspect if you want to go that route you are just going to have to gamble and buy the coax cable. RG11 will cost you about $150 for 500ft of outdoor direct bury cable. If it does not work you will be out the cost of the cable and have to go run ethernet and put the modem in his house.

Not really in the way you will want. Fiber need to have a light source which requires power so you need a electrical device to connect the coax to the fiber. But if you are going have a device that needs to be plugged in you might as well just use the cable modem it will be a lot cheaper. The type of device you talk about is used by cable companies in their core infrastructure I doubt it would be affordable to a end users...the ones I know of you have to call to even get a price which always means expensive.

LOA5000

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
So coax is a maybe and it might not carry as strong as the Ethernet cable. I was reading that cat7 might be stronger for range then the cat5e? If they get a 100mb option in the future id definitely want to do something like that

remixedcat

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
I still think your absolute easiest option is wireless point to point high gain. Much easier then running cable and possibly less degradation due to cable problems from the insertion source to your house. Coax teminations/splices can be finicky too.

I had such issues with comcast when they didn't terminate the connection right in my building and the whole apartment building (55 units) had baaaad connectivity and tv problems. When I went to the leasing office tons of people were always in complaining about it....

comcast did something and then had to disable the ENTIRE COMPLEX ( 800 some units) 's CABLE!!! it took 4 hours to fix a problem that should have taken 20 minutes tops.

comcast sucks..

Be very careful to read what he is asking for. He is not wanting to carry a ethenet signal he wants to directly extend the cable company feed to his house. The feed is already coax. You cannot go out and solder a couple ethernet wires to the coax and make somehow work. If it was this easy nobody would buy a cable modem they would just twist the wires together.

Be very careful about the cat7/cat6/cat5e discussion the cable vendors are trying to trick you into buy more expensive cable than you need. The distance limit is not set by the cable it is set by the equipment that you plug it into. Anything that can run gig will only go 100m no matter if you have cat5e or cat7 cable. The difference is that cat7 cable can go 100m at 10g. Would be nice if just plugging a cable into my 1g port would magically transform it into a 10g port but we all know that is not possible...but the cable vendors sure try to imply it.

Now there are things that will go more than 100m on various types of cat? cable but these are not ethernet they have names like metro-e and of course this is all commercial grade equipment with prices to go with it.

LOA5000

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
With wireless I am sure to take a huge ping hit. I want to exstend the modem to my house with the coax cable or set the modem up at his house and run the Ethernet cable. Its about 200ft distance looking on the Google map. So like if I got 300ft of what ever i would be safe. What I would like is the fastest best cable I need that will work with no hick ups

Actually the point to point wireless works very well it does not add much latency at all but wire is always better...just lots of work to bury it.

The coax you want to try is called RJ11. There is better stuff the cable company uses for their main trunks called QR-540 and QR-860 but I don't have a clue where you can buy it. QR-860 is almost 1 inch around and I suspect costs a fortune.

If you end up have to have to cable modem at your neighbors house cat5-e will work just fine. It can run to 1gig. Spending more money on better cable will make no difference. The only cable you may want to consider is direct bury versions of cat5-e it would save you have to run some form of conduit to keep the dirt away from the cable. All ethernet cable is plastic coat it will no short out if it gets wet but the minerals in the soil will eat thought the plastic and let the water into the contact. Last time I did this and wanted to be cheap we use drip irrigation tubing that comes in big roles at the home improvement stores.