phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ok, i have this 8x burner, Hewlett Packard. it was in my old box.. and now that my cdrom failed i took it out and put it in my new box to use as a temp until i get something new...

but, my mobo wont detect it. i got a AK77-333 Aopen board.

IDE1-Maxtor HDD master
IDE2-CDRW master (yes they are jumpered right)

neither the HDD or the CDRW spin up...taking out the CDRW allows the mobo to detect the harddrive and things boot as normal. i set all IDE channells to autodetect obviously...

so i thought the RW was dead. i stuck it in my roomates computer and IT SPUN UP! .. in windows i ran audio and data cds with no problems.. its just my new mobo that wont detect it!

i stuck my HDD on IDE2 to see if it was the cable, but it was detected so that cant be it.......

any ideas!?

-------

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Update Bios?
change setting in Bios?
maybe it's just that your mobo isn't compatible with your writer?
You are an Old Hand..I might be able to help you much..sorry

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ill try that, but i dont see how it would help sinse the ide channell is on Auto-Detect

oh yeah, and just because im an old hand doesnt mean i know what im talking about hehe

-------

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ok lets IGNORE phials problem . you guys dont know as much as you let on after all eh? muahahaha.. losers

-------

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
maybe power supply. could be thats it spulling the 12V or 5V rail low. try running with just that writer in and nothing else. if it works it suggests the psu is a problem. also make sure the drive isnt set to the same setting as another one.. ie both set to secondary slave as auto detect wont seperate the two. if you are going to use auto detect ensure they are either set the the correct setting for their position (master/slave) or set them on cable select. hope this helps

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Have you tried the Hardrive and Burner on the same cable, one as master and one as slave, try this on both the Primary and Secondary controllers.

Sometimes motherboards and drives work strangely. I have had some that I had to set as slave, because master on the secondary controller on the motherboard was bad or something. Or had to se my secondary controller drives as "cable select" because master and slave wouldn't work, but the Primary drives could be on Master or slave with no problems

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If the OS is WinXP, that could be the problem, try running the drive with Win98SE drivers using compatibility mode from the help and support center> Program compatibility Wizard. I have seen this work at least once.
Good Luck,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)