This makes me sad

Last response: in Home Audio
April 9, 2005 4:37:17 AM

&rd=1

More about : makes sad

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:50:03 AM

Animix is depressed:

> &rd=1

Beautiful downtown Cleveland - just like I pictured it.... Hey,
they have some kind of "Tommy, The Amazing Journey" thing going on down
at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame don't they?

(Wonder how much an hour you can charge for guitar lessons in
Cleveland?)

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
April 9, 2005 2:14:51 PM

Pooh Bear wrote:

> Yes it *is* sad and shows how little record companies care about the
> supporting industries. Then again what *do* record companies care about ?

I don't think it shows that at all. This is a business. If Cleveland
can't support such a studio, and it looks like a very nice studio, how
does this show how much or how little the record companies care about
supporting industries?

How are the rest of the studios in Cleveland fairing? Maybe this one
just had a poor marketing strategy? Anyway, if anybody is in or near the
Cleveland area and wants to record, this looks like a great deal.

In fact, somebody in that area thinking about building their own home
studio might want to think twice, and save the thousands and thousands
they are about to part with and book some time there!
April 9, 2005 2:32:36 PM

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> Pooh Bear wrote:
>
>> Yes it *is* sad and shows how little record companies care about the
>> supporting industries. Then again what *do* record companies care about ?
>
> I don't think it shows that at all. This is a business. If Cleveland can't
> support such a studio, and it looks like a very nice studio, how does this
> show how much or how little the record companies care about supporting
> industries?
>
> How are the rest of the studios in Cleveland fairing? Maybe this one just
> had a poor marketing strategy? Anyway, if anybody is in or near the
> Cleveland area and wants to record, this looks like a great deal.
>
> In fact, somebody in that area thinking about building their own home
> studio might want to think twice, and save the thousands and thousands
> they are about to part with and book some time there!

It does say that this rate is for their 'B' room too. Maybe their 'A' room
is so much better that everyone uses it instead, even though it costs a lot
more, and the B room has been gathering dust?
--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

Animix wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> &rd=1

It might just be smart business. Airlines sell seats on airplanes
for a huge discount if they get near the time of the flight and
they don't expect to fill the plane. They've already lost the
money it costs to put the plane in the air, so almost any amount
of money they can make for the empty seats is better than nothing.

In other words, for all I know they are just trying to get their
studio utilized 100% of the time, since they have put the investment
in already and it costs them nothing (but time) to do it.

- Logan
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:49:13 PM

I hope they make it. To me this looks like a last gasp effort. Here's hoping
I'm wrong.

DJ

"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Animix wrote:

> > &rd=1
>
> It might just be smart business. Airlines sell seats on airplanes
> for a huge discount if they get near the time of the flight and
> they don't expect to fill the plane. They've already lost the
> money it costs to put the plane in the air, so almost any amount
> of money they can make for the empty seats is better than nothing.
>
> In other words, for all I know they are just trying to get their
> studio utilized 100% of the time, since they have put the investment
> in already and it costs them nothing (but time) to do it.
>
> - Logan
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 12:23:18 AM

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:36:20 -0400, "Roger W. Norman"
<rnorman@starpower.net> wrote:

>What's sad is places like the Hit Factory not noticing the writing on the
>walls and coming up with just such a scheme to get people in.

I don't think you could afford to sell studio time that cheap in New
York... the overhead is probably a bit more than it is in Cleveland.

Al
April 10, 2005 1:57:27 AM

> This price DOES include a top quality engineer!

Yaa. Sure.

The even sadder thing is that its been up for 3 days and no one has
clicked on their But It Now.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:57:28 AM

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:57:27 -0400, david <ihate@spamo.com> wrote:

>> This price DOES include a top quality engineer!
>

>Yaa. Sure.
>

>The even sadder thing is that its been up for 3 days and no one has
>clicked on their But It Now.

I think it's more of an ad than an auction. Ebay is the cheapest
worldwide advertising you can get.

Al
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:21:17 AM

"John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message

> "Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> > Pooh Bear wrote:
> >
> >> Yes it *is* sad and shows how little record companies care about the
> >> supporting industries. Then again what *do* record companies care about
?

> > I don't think it shows that at all. This is a business. If Cleveland
can't
> > support such a studio, and it looks like a very nice studio, how does
this
> > show how much or how little the record companies care about supporting
> > industries?
> >
> > How are the rest of the studios in Cleveland fairing? Maybe this one
just
> > had a poor marketing strategy? Anyway, if anybody is in or near the
> > Cleveland area and wants to record, this looks like a great deal.
> >
> > In fact, somebody in that area thinking about building their own home
> > studio might want to think twice, and save the thousands and thousands
> > they are about to part with and book some time there!
>
> It does say that this rate is for their 'B' room too. Maybe their 'A'
room
> is so much better that everyone uses it instead, even though it costs a
lot
> more, and the B room has been gathering dust?
> --
> John L Rice
> Drummer@ImJohn.com

The offer is for tracking in the 'A' room (Neve 8100) and the rest in the
'B' room (SSL 5000), but judging by the equipment list, there can't be a big
difference in rates.

Although both consoles are big names, neither of them is exactly the real
thing. It could be a case of "close, but no cigar".

Predrag
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:41:13 AM

playon wrote:

> Ebay is the cheapest worldwide advertising you can get.

Bingo.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 10:10:01 AM

Animix wrote:
> I hope they make it. To me this looks like a last gasp effort. Here's hoping
> I'm wrong.

Well, it could be that too.

I was just trying to say it's not *necessarily* a tragic situation.
It could just a clever little trick to squeeze out a few extra bucks
from a basically-healthy business and get new people to try out the
studio (and potentially be repeat customers) at the same time. Some
people are good at coming up with creative ideas like that to give
the business a boost.

- Logan
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 10:32:20 AM

How much can you afford to just up and declare bankruptcy? Let's face it,
though. They had a long run of quality products from great musicians, a
couple of whom have actually recorded here! (really)

There are so many factors involved that it's actually pretty much impossible
to pinpoint why some companies go out of business. First and foremost is
attitude. This work can kill you young if you don't absolutely love it.
And if things start going bad it gets harder and harder to love. Some
landlords are greedy shits that want more from your gross than you can give
and still have a positive net, particularly if your place becomes popular
and busy. Instead of being glad that someone is making it and able to pay
the rent, they drive the business out in order to garner another $1 per sq
ft (of course, for some places, that's easily another $20,000 per year).

There's also the constant and total uphill battle to remain current in the
equipment whilst still trying to maintain older equipment some of your
returning clients like.

Everything we go through as small project studios or even medium commercial
ventures can be multiplied exponentially by large facilities. The question
of "How do you make a million dollars with a recording studio? Start with
two million" is very appropriate and all too true.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"playon" <playon@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:36:20 -0400, "Roger W. Norman"
> <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote:
>
> >What's sad is places like the Hit Factory not noticing the writing on the
> >walls and coming up with just such a scheme to get people in.
>
> I don't think you could afford to sell studio time that cheap in New
> York... the overhead is probably a bit more than it is in Cleveland.
>
> Al
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 4:00:58 PM

> Animix wrote:
> > I hope they make it. To me this looks like a last gasp effort. Here's
hoping
> > I'm wrong.
>
> Well, it could be that too.
>
> I was just trying to say it's not *necessarily* a tragic situation.
> It could just a clever little trick to squeeze out a few extra bucks
> from a basically-healthy business and get new people to try out the
> studio (and potentially be repeat customers) at the same time. Some
> people are good at coming up with creative ideas like that to give
> the business a boost.

In that case I'd be more than a little worried about how my regular clients
would react to my offering the studio time for a fraction of what I charge
them.

Predrag
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 5:59:31 PM

And they don't sound too terribly desperate , so filling in the gap ?

regards Greg

"John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message

> "Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> > Pooh Bear wrote:
> >
> >> Yes it *is* sad and shows how little record companies care about the
> >> supporting industries. Then again what *do* record companies care about
?

> > I don't think it shows that at all. This is a business. If Cleveland
can't
> > support such a studio, and it looks like a very nice studio, how does
this
> > show how much or how little the record companies care about supporting
> > industries?
> >
> > How are the rest of the studios in Cleveland fairing? Maybe this one
just
> > had a poor marketing strategy? Anyway, if anybody is in or near the
> > Cleveland area and wants to record, this looks like a great deal.
> >
> > In fact, somebody in that area thinking about building their own home
> > studio might want to think twice, and save the thousands and thousands
> > they are about to part with and book some time there!
>
> It does say that this rate is for their 'B' room too. Maybe their 'A'
room
> is so much better that everyone uses it instead, even though it costs a
lot
> more, and the B room has been gathering dust?
> --
> John L Rice
> Drummer@ImJohn.com

April 10, 2005 10:44:16 PM

In article <d3atgv$ad2$1@ss405.t-com.hr>, Predrag Trpkov
<predrag.trpkovNeSpamu@ri.htnet.hr> wrote:

> "Logan Shaw" <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Animix wrote:
> > > I hope they make it. To me this looks like a last gasp effort. Here's
> hoping
> > > I'm wrong.
> >
> > Well, it could be that too.
> >
> > I was just trying to say it's not *necessarily* a tragic situation.
> > It could just a clever little trick to squeeze out a few extra bucks
> > from a basically-healthy business and get new people to try out the
> > studio (and potentially be repeat customers) at the same time. Some
> > people are good at coming up with creative ideas like that to give
> > the business a boost.
>

> In that case I'd be more than a little worried about how my regular clients
> would react to my offering the studio time for a fraction of what I charge
> them.
>
> Predrag

Predrag hit the nail on the head. They ain't chargin $35 an hour cuz
things are going good.

I have similiar feelings as Animix, watching big studios become
extinct. I'm the only big space left in my neck of the woods. It would
def be a loss for the local music community if I no longer existed, as
it is a great space that gets great sounds you cannot get in a basement
or a bedroom.

But it is the dollar bills that do the voting. We ain't the airline
industry or farmers or tobacco growers that get government handouts.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com