Sound card IRQ in WinXP

Starre64

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Ok heres whats wrong and i need you help guys! "nearly" every game i play tends to hang on the sound after 10-30 mins of play i didnt know whatw as wrong was ok befor i installed my SBlive 5.1 but my mate has same setup he suggested checking my IRQ so i did and suprise my sound/AGP GF4 ti4200 are on the same IRQ ive tried changing my sound card IRQ but its locked and i cant change it Both are set to IRQ of 5 and i heard my video runs best on 5 but i decided to try change that but nope thats locked as well anyone know how to unlock the IRQ? i'll post any otehr info needed im really stuck please help!

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
you may want to try switching the pci slot your sound card occupies in order to get the sound card on a different irq as your video card.

a second alternative is going into the bios and assigning another irq (other than 5) to the pci slot your sound card occupies. however, you may find tho that your video card irq will change to that new irq also, among a few other problems that may be created. thats why i would switch slots first.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First thing you might want to do is set PNP OS to NO in BIOS. IF that doesn't cure it, leave it that way and put your card in another slot.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

daniel1113

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
As a rule of thumb, never use the PCI card closest to your AGP slot if you are using an AGP video card, especially if the PCI device is your sound card.

- Daniel (daniel1113@attbi.com)