Applicatioins

The new Yahoo mail application looks to be really good. The downside is that
it is subscription based and costs $3.00 per month. I wish that the
applications would go to a simple sales model in which the user could
purchase the program for a one-time price. I have never purchased an
application and probably never will because I am quite put-off by the
subscription based model. I believe in purchasing software for a one-time
price. Sprint Marketing, are you listening?

-mij

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> The new Yahoo mail application looks to be really good. The downside is that
> it is subscription based and costs $3.00 per month. I wish that the
> applications would go to a simple sales model in which the user could
> purchase the program for a one-time price.

Email can be considered a service, and monthly subscription models make
sense for services. For games and other such apps, I'd agree that one-time
fees are probably more appropriate.

>I have never purchased an
> application and probably never will because I am quite put-off by the
> subscription based model. I believe in purchasing software for a one-time
> price. Sprint Marketing, are you listening?

I believe the software publisher is also involved in product pricing. But I
could be wrong about that.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Steve,

The mail application is being advertised by Yahoo. I have been a paying
Yahoo customer for several years and therefore expect either free access to
a software application that accesses email, or a "one-time" price to
purchase the application. It seems that Yahoo is jumping on the bandwagon
and following the sales model of the cell phone service providers. I will
just stick with free access to my yahoo email by browsing the yahoo mobile
webpage. I am in the software development business and cannot get used to
this idea of a "monthly fee". It just goes against the grain for me. Call me
old fashion but I just cannot get over it! My company offers annual support
contracts, but all software has a one-time price to purchase a license.

-mij

Mij Adyaw wrote:

> The mail application is being advertised by Yahoo. I have been a paying
> Yahoo customer for several years and therefore expect either free access to
> a software application that accesses email, or a "one-time" price to
> purchase the application.

That's reasonable. I'm just saying that for certain types of applications,
the pricing model does make sense.

> this idea of a "monthly fee". It just goes against the grain for me. Call me
> old fashion but I just cannot get over it! My company offers annual support
> contracts, but all software has a one-time price to purchase a license.

But there are other companies that do offer software on a subscription
basis. It's not all that uncommon.

--

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote:
> I wish that the
>applications would go to a simple sales model in which the user could
>purchase the program for a one-time price. I have never purchased an
>application and probably never will because I am quite put-off by the
>subscription based model. I believe in purchasing software for a one-time
>price. Sprint Marketing, are you listening?

Mij, I'm with you on this one. I hate that model as well, and I'm not
downloading anything thing that is subscription based (not that I've
found anything useful to download...)

I doubt if Sprint Marketing is listening. But if enough folks boycott
Sprint's apps and ringers that are marketed under the subscription
mode, they might notice that...

Joe Huber
huber.joseph@comcast.net