- Can the newer Echo soundcards support Soundfonts like Cr..

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 9, 2005 5:24:55 PM

I got rid of my soundblaster on my old computer and used LiveSynth Pro (with
Sonar 2.2) because the Gina20 card I was using did not support Soundfonts.

I intend to upgrade to a Gina3G soon. Will I have the same problem there?
Will I still need LiveSynth Pro to use Soundfonts? Is the Soundfont
technology proprietary to Creative?

(I don't want any Creative cards in my system.)
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 5:29:00 AM

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:24:55 -0400, "Sinbad" <1@1.1> wrote:

>I got rid of my soundblaster on my old computer and used LiveSynth Pro (with
>Sonar 2.2) because the Gina20 card I was using did not support Soundfonts.
>
>I intend to upgrade to a Gina3G soon. Will I have the same problem there?
>Will I still need LiveSynth Pro to use Soundfonts? Is the Soundfont
>technology proprietary to Creative?
>
>(I don't want any Creative cards in my system.)

When SoundFonts appeared, we were using slow computers. Now, we've
got power to spare to run them in software. I think if you want a
hardware solution, you'll need to install a Creative (or close
relative) card.

Many people install a SB card alongside their quality card, just to
play SoundFonts. If you have a SB available, don't count out this
solution on principle until you've tried it. :-)
!