$150 price cut instead of rebate?

I stopped by a Sprint Store today, intending to get a Treo 650. When I
mentioned I had my current phone long enough to qualify for the $150
upgrade rebate, the guy there told me that I might want to wait a couple
weeks. He claimed that they are terminating the $150 rebate program on
July 7th, and replacing it with a $150 price discount for people who
upgrade.

So, he said, if I bought now, it would be $600 and then wait 10 weeks
for a rebate of $150, whereas if I buy on or after July 7th, it would be
pay $450 and I'm done.

Anyone else heard of this? I hate the hassle of rebates, so if it is
true, I can wait a couple weeks.

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith wrote:

> I stopped by a Sprint Store today, intending to get a Treo 650. When I
> mentioned I had my current phone long enough to qualify for the $150
> upgrade rebate, the guy there told me that I might want to wait a couple
> weeks. He claimed that they are terminating the $150 rebate program on
> July 7th, and replacing it with a $150 price discount for people who
> upgrade.
>
> So, he said, if I bought now, it would be $600 and then wait 10 weeks
> for a rebate of $150, whereas if I buy on or after July 7th, it would be
> pay $450 and I'm done.
>
> Anyone else heard of this? I hate the hassle of rebates, so if it is
> true, I can wait a couple weeks.

I was in one of the major chains, a few weeks ago, and overheard bits
and pieces of a conversation, the gist of which was that, in the future,
rebates would be a thing of the past. It sounded like some type of
federal implementation.

Notan

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:51:52 +0000, Tim Smith wrote:

> I stopped by a Sprint Store today, intending to get a Treo 650. When I
> mentioned I had my current phone long enough to qualify for the $150
> upgrade rebate, the guy there told me that I might want to wait a couple
> weeks. He claimed that they are terminating the $150 rebate program on
> July 7th, and replacing it with a $150 price discount for people who
> upgrade.
>
> So, he said, if I bought now, it would be $600 and then wait 10 weeks
> for a rebate of $150, whereas if I buy on or after July 7th, it would be
> pay $450 and I'm done.
>
> Anyone else heard of this? I hate the hassle of rebates, so if it is
> true, I can wait a couple weeks.

I was told nearly the same thing today, they said that on July 7 they
will have an instant rebate instead of the mail in rebate.

Notan wrote:

> I was in one of the major chains, a few weeks ago, and overheard bits
> and pieces of a conversation, the gist of which was that, in the future,
> rebates would be a thing of the past. It sounded like some type of
> federal implementation.

That'd be very cool if it's true. I got a $150 instant rebate from Telesales
on my VI-660, but had to pay tax on the full price (about $180). I believe
the tax policy varies by state and is based on whatever the customer's state
taxation agency requires, but if they just cut the asking price by $150, you
wouldn't have to pay the extra tax anyhow.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

In article <pan.2005.06.26.01.25.58.398312@yahoo.com>,
schvantzkoph@yahoo.com says...

> I was told nearly the same thing today, they said that on July 7 they
> will have an instant rebate instead of the mail in rebate.

One of the web forums I visit hinted that the choice of phones might get
limited, too. No indication of how severely (i.e. if all they restrict
is not on the Samsung world phone, that probably won't be significant).

I'm not "in" on this anymore, so we'll see how it works out, I guess.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Stevie

when i first signed up for sprint in may 2004, they just subracted the
rebates (2) off of my bill as i was signing up. i just assumed that if you
sign up at a sprint store rather than say, radio shack, you got the rebate
on the spot.

isn't that the way it is??

Tim Smith wrote:
> I stopped by a Sprint Store today, intending to get a Treo 650. When I
> mentioned I had my current phone long enough to qualify for the $150
> upgrade rebate, the guy there told me that I might want to wait a couple
> weeks. He claimed that they are terminating the $150 rebate program on
> July 7th, and replacing it with a $150 price discount for people who
> upgrade.

I can confirm this, as I have heard it also. In fact, I know of one
person who actually got the instant discount code added to her account
by mistake INSTEAD of the rebate, and they had to clear it up (she was
unwilling to wait until July 7 to ger her phone).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

For people who are first signing up or for adding a line to your
account, the rebates are instant both signing up at a Sprint PCS store
or at other new sellers like RadioShack. Now upgrading an existing
phone gets the mail in rebate. It sounds like that in the future
upgrading an existing phone will also get the instant rebate.

stevie wrote:
> when i first signed up for sprint in may 2004, they just subracted the
> rebates (2) off of my bill as i was signing up. i just assumed that if you
> sign up at a sprint store rather than say, radio shack, you got the rebate
> on the spot.
>
> isn't that the way it is??
> "Tim Smith" <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
>
> I stopped by a Sprint Store today, intending to get a Treo 650. When I
> mentioned I had my current phone long enough to qualify for the $150
> upgrade rebate, the guy there told me that I might want to wait a couple
> weeks. He claimed that they are terminating the $150 rebate program on
> July 7th, and replacing it with a $150 price discount for people who
> upgrade.
>
> So, he said, if I bought now, it would be $600 and then wait 10 weeks
> for a rebate of $150, whereas if I buy on or after July 7th, it would be
> pay $450 and I'm done.
>
> Anyone else heard of this? I hate the hassle of rebates, so if it is
> true, I can wait a couple weeks.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:16:08 GMT, "John Richards"
<jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote:

>Isn't that a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face?
>ALL CSRs make mistakes now and then. I'm sure that a Verizon CSR
>will some day rub you the wrong way.

A little bit. After being lied to and driving 30 minutes to a Sprint
Store for nothing, I had little choice. I made a deal with them, and
they didn't hold up their end. Verizon gave me one of their "top of
the line" $400 phones for $99, and a pretty good plan. So I'm happy at
least for now.

>Not sure what your problem was but I get 110kbps routinely on
>Vision downloads.

For me, it's like night and day. Maybe it's my 8100 and not "Vision".
About 25% of the time, "Vision" just times out and doesn't even
connect.

In article <t4m3c1l5gcrqceq4gnbjcs97u80pmqlro9@4ax.com>, darrin99
@nj.rr.com says...

> >Isn't that a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face?
> >ALL CSRs make mistakes now and then. I'm sure that a Verizon CSR
> >will some day rub you the wrong way.
>
> A little bit. After being lied to and driving 30 minutes to a Sprint
> Store for nothing, I had little choice. I made a deal with them, and
> they didn't hold up their end. Verizon gave me one of their "top of
> the line" $400 phones for $99, and a pretty good plan. So I'm happy at
> least for now.

I hate to sound argumentative, but I'm not sure what lie you were told.
The Sprint CSR told you that you'd get the instant savings, and applied
what he or she could in order to enable it. That rep was wrong,
apparently. BUT, the store even told you it would work out if you
waited until the 7th.

Since, aside from your Vision connection speed, you state you had a
better plan, and didn't really seem to have a problem with service, I'm
having trouble understanding why you would surrender all that when I
can't really see a lie. Not an intentional deception, certainly.

Would you help me to understand why you felt this rose to the level of
"requiring" that you cancel, given that the instant savings was still
valid, just not at the time the rep thought you could receive it?

--
RØß
O/Siris

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:10:18 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>Darrin wrote:
>> I know. I had my first almost run-in with Verizon already yesterday,
>> but they handled it the way it should be.

>I firmly believe that although their Customer Service operation is not
>without its problems, it *is* still the best in the industry. I was a

You must have some new definition of "best" that I've never heard before.