URL - Can this tape deck head be aligned?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 11, 2005 2:14:22 AM

In connection with my query regarding tape restoration, several mentioned
adjusting the azimuth of the head. My question is, can this one be adjusted?
If the pic. isn't clear enough to tell I can try again.

http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/record_head/Documen...

The tape deck is a reasonably decent one, has adjustable playback speed,
adjustable record level, dubbing capability, Dolby. But how does one
accurately adjust the heads?

Thanks.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:50:59 AM

In article <2zh6e.6851$44.1241@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net> docsavage20@xhotmail.com writes:

> In connection with my query regarding tape restoration, several mentioned
> adjusting the azimuth of the head. My question is, can this one be adjusted?
> If the pic. isn't clear enough to tell I can try again.

I can't tell what you have from the picture. I see screws but I don't
have any idea of their orientation. There really aren't many tape
decks that are built without adjustable heads, however.

Look at the screws that are associated with the head and you should
be able to figure it out. You need a standard alignment tape and an
oscilloscope to adjust it properly, though if you're trying to align
to a tape recorded on an improperly aligned recorder, you may have to
do it by ear.

April 11, 2005 3:03:49 PM

Pic is very dark, no definition. I assume front plastic cassette cover has
been removed.
What make/model? 2-head or 3-head? Single/double deck?
Have you got a decent alignment tape?
Look for a spring-loaded setting screw which rocks the Play head through
vertical parallel to tape motion.
If it's a 3-head design, do not acidentally disturb Record head azimuth
[yet].

"Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
> In connection with my query regarding tape restoration, several mentioned
> adjusting the azimuth of the head. My question is, can this one be
> adjusted?
> If the pic. isn't clear enough to tell I can try again.
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/record_head/Documen...
>

> The tape deck is a reasonably decent one, has adjustable playback speed,
> adjustable record level, dubbing capability, Dolby. But how does one
> accurately adjust the heads?
>
> Thanks.

April 11, 2005 3:03:50 PM

That's a head-flipping auto-reverse deck. If you manually turn the head unit a bit, you'll see
that it's rotation is stopped by one of those screws, which will be the azimuth adjuster for
that tape side, with the corresponding screw on the other side being for the other direction.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"Jim Gregory" <jim.greg@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:p Qs6e.20348$kr.6737@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Pic is very dark, no definition. I assume front plastic cassette cover has
> been removed.
> What make/model? 2-head or 3-head? Single/double deck?
> Have you got a decent alignment tape?
> Look for a spring-loaded setting screw which rocks the Play head through
> vertical parallel to tape motion.
> If it's a 3-head design, do not acidentally disturb Record head azimuth
> [yet].
>
> "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In connection with my query regarding tape restoration, several mentioned
> > adjusting the azimuth of the head. My question is, can this one be
> > adjusted?
> > If the pic. isn't clear enough to tell I can try again.
> >
> > http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/record_head/Documen...
> >

> > The tape deck is a reasonably decent one, has adjustable playback speed,
> > adjustable record level, dubbing capability, Dolby. But how does one
> > accurately adjust the heads?
> >
> > Thanks.

April 12, 2005 8:00:23 PM

> I can't tell what you have from the picture. I see screws but I don't
> have any idea of their orientation. There really aren't many tape
> decks that are built without adjustable heads, however.

I put up a better pic of both heads this time.

http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/record_head/Documen...
April 12, 2005 8:01:30 PM

"Jim Gregory" <jim.greg@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:p Qs6e.20348$kr.6737@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Pic is very dark, no definition. I assume front plastic cassette cover has
> been removed.
> What make/model? 2-head or 3-head? Single/double deck?
> Have you got a decent alignment tape?
> Look for a spring-loaded setting screw which rocks the Play head through
> vertical parallel to tape motion.
> If it's a 3-head design, do not acidentally disturb Record head azimuth
> [yet].

RCA SCT-550. I put up a better pic, showing both heads this time.

http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/record_head/Documen...
!