raid 1+0 or raid 0+1 later - cooling2

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
I'm getting ready to build a new system based on the 875P chipset. Will be using an ABIT IC7-G Max2 as my mobo ... I have 2 120GB Seagate SATA drives.

I see that I am supposed to have a min of 4 drives to either go 1+0 or 0+1. Can I get the system going @ RAID 0 and then get 2 more drives and go either 1+0 or 0+1 OR should I need to do it at the beginning of my system setup?

And, if I do go RAID 1+0 or 0+1, I am assuming I will need 4 of the EXACT same SIZED DRIVES OR can I have TWO 120 GB SATAs and then TWO 200 GB IDEs - ???

This might be a stupid question(s)...

On cooling -- If I'm using a Coolermaster ATC201B-SXT as my case and I have 4 of these drives in there (or a total of 4), should i plan on doing extra cooling for the HDDs?

Sorry for all the ??s ... I haven't gotten any of my components yet but I'm trying to plan. So far, I have on order only the 2 SATA 120gb drives. Just need to see if I need for to achieve that RAID1/0 or 0/1 setup.

thanks. -ot

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
I see that I am supposed to have a min of 4 drives to either go 1+0 or 0+1. Can I get the system going @ RAID 0 and then get 2 more drives and go either 1+0 or 0+1 OR should I need to do it at the beginning of my system setup?
you can start with two drives.

And, if I do go RAID 1+0 or 0+1, I am assuming I will need 4 of the EXACT same SIZED DRIVES OR can I have TWO 120 GB SATAs and then TWO 200 GB IDEs - ???
you don't HAVE to have four of the exact same hard drives, but it is better that way. also the raid controller will not see the other 80gb on the 200gb hard drives if you do this.

On cooling -- If I'm using a Coolermaster ATC201B-SXT as my case and I have 4 of these drives in there (or a total of 4), should i plan on doing extra cooling for the HDDs?
if you can have one fan cool two hard drives and another fan cool the other two, you'll be fine. have the fans blow out the hot air. its not so much that the hard drives will be too hot, but the inside temp of your case and thus your cpu.

also <font color=red>1</font color=red>+<font color=green>1</font color=green>=2
<font color=green>1</font color=green>+<font color=red>1</font color=red>=2

<font color=orange><b>these days every one knows how small your penis is, and they are dying to help you with many many penis enlargement emails.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
heh heh

here is what i would do: get two WD 8mb cache hard drives and set them on raid 0. i don't like seagate, hitachi, nor ibm. well seagate is cool i guess. why do you need raid 0+1?

<font color=orange><b>these days every one knows how small your penis is, and they are dying to help you with many many penis enlargement emails.

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
thanks scamtron.

well, the reason I want 0+1 (or probably 1+0) would be that it would be faster but also I would get some protection of my data if the drives failed.

So, it looks like raid 0 adds performance to your machine and helps it go faster. but the +1 (or 1+) would help protect your data and if a drive fails, I wouldn't lose all my data -- I could replace that drive and all would be back to normal (or my hope anyway).

Or - that's how I've understood it and maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

Thanks. -ot